Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #1

Garage
Carpet

I would like to remove the carpet on the floor and front section of the rear trunk area,
Can some pls tell me how this carpet is secured ?
Researching a clunking sound that happens going over the smallest tar strip. But not all the time. Almost sounds like a loose engine cover. Rear trunk floor sounds hollow.
Clunk is in passenger side rear. It's not a squeak or a rattle. A clunk but not a hard metal to metal clunk. Sorry for not being able to describe it better. Jinx

Old 05-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #3

Garage
Thank you

Rick,
What I need to do is remove the carpet in the rear trunk area
Not in the cabin. Sorry if I was not clear about this. Jinx

Last edited by Jinx; 05-22-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

The carpet is held in with little clips that hold it in, and a couple that you unscrew. This article shows how to do with wiring to retrofit cruise control, which involves accessing the computer in the trunk that is behind the carpet, and shows how to remove it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/92-ELEC-Cruise_Control/92-ELEC-Cruise_Control.htm

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Researching a clunking sound that happens going over the smallest tar strip. But not all the time.
I have noticed reading tire reviews on tire rack, some tires are very sensitive to hitting those tar strips on roads and will send a lot of noise up into the cabin. Maybe it is that? What kind of tires do you have?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #6

Garage
Response on question of tire size

There are Continental Extreme Contact DW 225x40-17 on the rears
Old 05-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
There are Continental Extreme Contact DW 225x40-17 on the rears
That's a pretty small tire for Boxster. Do you get more oversteer?
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #8

Garage
Yes. Tons. I went to a car control clinic yesterday I could not get it to understeer but the oversteer was still very controlled my instructors where surprised by my technique
I could tell it coming on in my seat. Left it go out about 10 degrees out. Steer a little into the slide. Let up on the gas and let the steering wheel slide in your hands. Once corrected hands firmly on the wheel but no tight moderate smooth pressure on the gas. Good to go. I have no "track" experience but the steering would always seem to come back to center and would straighten it self out. I don't know if all boxsters would do this or mine is unique. Another thing about the C C C. My senses were still at a pretty high level driving home from the event. Coming up to a yellow turning red stop light. Come to a uneventful stop. One of the points the instructor stressed was try to plan a escape route when driving. Now the top was down. Just enjoying the car and the accomplishment of doing my first event. I won first place in the breaking comp. I look in the rear view mirror here comes a women in a Chrysler mini van. She is going way to fast to be able to stop I hear her ABS going in and out. I moved up about two foot into the intersection to give her more room and was preparing to go thru the light if needed. The instructor said pay attention to your surroundings. Sorry for going off topic. I just could not help myself. Jinx

Last edited by Jinx; 05-25-2014 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #9

Garage
Tire sizes are 205x50-17 on the fronts and 255x40-17 on the rears. The owners manual also lists this size for 17 inch wheels.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
I could tell it coming on in my seat. Left it go out about 10 degrees out. Steer a little into the slide. Let up on the gas and let the steering wheel slide in your hands. Once corrected hands firmly on the wheel but no tight moderate smooth pressure on the gas. Good to go.
Next time you get a chance, try this;

Left it go out about 10 degrees. Steer a little into the slide quickly while giving it a little more throttle, and then correct back and drive it out straight.

The goal of this approach is to increase grip onto the sliding rear wheels by adding throttle (which shifts weight (and thus, grip) rearward). If you're quick with your hands then it will look and feel like a controlled drift.

Like this...

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #11

Garage
Thank you. I am doing a DE in August. I have no Track experience at all. I have only done the CCC. An I correct to think that if I get some oversteer I am losing time and distance from the car I front of me. Thanks. Jinx

Last edited by Jinx; 05-25-2014 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Thank you. I am doing a DE in August. I have no Track experience at all. I have only done the CCC. An I correct to think that if I get some oversteer I am losing time and distance from the car I front of me. Thanks. Jinx
Yes, if you're getting oversteer then you're not going as fast as possible. Drifting around a track looks cool but its not very fast! When I slid in the video, I probably lost 1 sec on the car that I was chasing.

With that being said, some drivers (myself included) will intentionally slide the rear end to help rotate the car in the middle of a (typically tight) corner. But this is a specific technique and I use it judiciously.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-27-2014 at 10:17 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:08 AM   #13

Garage
I would like to say a very sincere Thank You for all your help and support on all my questions and concerns. Jinx

Tags
clunk , engine cover , rear trunk area