Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

Garage
is there an easy way to change the amplifier?

Ok, so i have a 2003 base boxster with a cd player, no nav and speakers in the doors and dash. From what i can gather, there is an amplifier powering those 4 speakers in the front trunk.

Is there an easy way to put an aftermarket amp in and reuse all the wires and harnesses and NOT run any speaker wire? I prefer not to cut or splice anything. I read a post that crutchfield has one but when i called i had no luck. I am looking at a mb quart 240 watt 4 channel, nothing crazy just enough power to get some quality sound with the top down.

Please dont tell me to upgrade wires, head unit etc etc. Amp and speakers thats all.

jimmythemufflers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #2

I'll be buying an amp for my '06 shortly, the factory one crapped out. I'm not sure about the 986, but my amp only drives the door speakers, and you can connect the an aftermarket amp to the factory speaker wires.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythemufflers View Post
Ok, so i have a 2003 base boxster with a cd player, no nav and speakers in the doors and dash. From what i can gather, there is an amplifier powering those 4 speakers in the front trunk.

Is there an easy way to put an aftermarket amp in and reuse all the wires and harnesses and NOT run any speaker wire? I prefer not to cut or splice anything. I read a post that crutchfield has one but when i called i had no luck. I am looking at a mb quart 240 watt 4 channel, nothing crazy just enough power to get some quality sound with the top down.

Please dont tell me to upgrade wires, head unit etc etc. Amp and speakers thats all.
the factory amp uses the MOST optical bus, so you would have to find an amp that has that input, good luck!

It is possible you dont have MOST bus and in that case it would be a relitivly easy (?) change
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Newb

I am also getting ready to improve on my stock system. I am going to start with the speakers and see if that makes me smile for a while.

I was looking at a pair of the Alpine SPS-410' for the dash and a pair of SPR-50' for the doors.

This would be until I get a new head unit and amp. For now the door speakers will act as sub woofers because from what I understand the stock system only sends the lows to the doors. Please correct me if I am wrong.
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #5

Garage
I kept my amp and replaced all of my speakers with Pioneer and then later replaced my HU with Pioneer. I am very happy with the results. Replacing the door speakers with 6.5" speakers definitely improved the bass response. I do get some mids and highs through the door speakers with the stock amp although they are not as clear as the dash and rear speakers.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/49796-found-6-5-speakers-fit-door-without-mods.html

Amazon.com : Pioneer TS-D1002R 4 In. 2-Way Speaker with 110 Watts Max. Power : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics
Amazon.com : Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 Inch 2-Way Speakers : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics
Amazon.com : Pioneer TS-A1675R 6-1/2" 3-Way TS Series Coaxial Car Speakers : Vehicle Surface Mounted Speakers : Car Electronics
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #6

Garage
MOST Digital Pre-Amp | mObridge

Thanks google. What do you all make of this?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I kept my amp and replaced all of my speakers with Pioneer and then later replaced my HU with Pioneer. I am very happy with the results. Replacing the door speakers with 6.5" speakers definitely improved the bass response. I do get some mids and highs through the door speakers with the stock amp although they are not as clear as the dash and rear speakers.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/49796-found-6-5-speakers-fit-door-without-mods.html

Amazon.com : Pioneer TS-D1002R 4 In. 2-Way Speaker with 110 Watts Max. Power : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics
Amazon.com : Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 Inch 2-Way Speakers : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics
Amazon.com : Pioneer TS-A1675R 6-1/2" 3-Way TS Series Coaxial Car Speakers : Vehicle Surface Mounted Speakers : Car Electronics
Keeping your factory amp and just replacing your speakers make a difference in volume? I was more looking for volume so i can hear with the top down i am less concerned about loud bass. Although that would be nice
Old 05-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #8

Garage
I have plenty of volume. Changing the speakers out will make a big difference over stock IMO. Your stock speakers are probably deteriorating. My dash and rear speakers were pretty bad. The door speakers were in pretty good shape. Replace the speakers first and see what you think.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote