Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

Found 6.5 speakers that fit door without mods

I just wanted to let you guys know I found out that the Pioneer TS-A1675R coaxial speakers will fit the OEM door bezel that houses the door speakers. I'm not sure if this is common in 6.5 speakers or not, but these speakers have 5.25 sized mounting holes drilled in the ring in addition to the 6.5 mounts. I put them in (I have an alpine amp with no crossover driving them) and it was a very big improvement. I did not have to make a new mounting bezel or modify my existing bezel at all. The speakers were on sale at best buy for $59 for the pair but can be found online for $40 for the set. It's crazy how so little cost can be involved with a big improvement.

joejitsumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

Garage
+1 even speakers that cost $25/pair on Amazon are worlds better than most stock paper cone speakers, thanks for the info! (:
scottvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks for the information, I need to start upgrading my speakers. Remember Best Buy will price match with Amazon. Amazon's current price is $40.95.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #4

I believe my Boxster came with the m490 Hifi system package and I added the rear shelf speakers. I had a nice set up in my previous convertible with focals and honestly I've never complained about the sound with the top down in the Boxster. I recently started using a FiiO E18 portable DAC for my Android phone (also doubles as a phone charger when not in use with just a push of a button) and the sound is pretty good.
Would I see that big an improvement over the stock speakers?

http://taingheviet.com/upload/sanpham/FiiO-E18-Kunlun-FiiO-E18-Kunlun-2.jpg

"M490 - Comes with 6 speakers, amplifier (6 x 25 watts), and multi-channel loudspeaker system with base reflex boxes in doors."
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-09-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsumd View Post
I just wanted to let you guys know I found out that the Pioneer TS-A1675R coaxial speakers will fit the OEM door bezel that houses the door speakers. I'm not sure if this is common in 6.5 speakers or not, but these speakers have 5.25 sized mounting holes drilled in the ring in addition to the 6.5 mounts. I put them in (I have an alpine amp with no crossover driving them) and it was a very big improvement. I did not have to make a new mounting bezel or modify my existing bezel at all. The speakers were on sale at best buy for $59 for the pair but can be found online for $40 for the set. It's crazy how so little cost can be involved with a big improvement.
Did you find any speakers for the dash that just fit right in without any mods?
Old 12-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermac99 View Post
Did you find any speakers for the dash that just fit right in without any mods?
No, for that I just used the alpine 4" sps-410 that did require me to destroy the original speaker and hot glue as described by others. But the result was well worth it.
Joe
Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #7

Garage
Will it fit std ported enclosures?

Quote:
When you say that these fitted the OEM door bezel, do you mean into the plastic ported enclosure that hold the std 5.25 inch sub woofer? I have just replaced my head unit and need to upgrade my door speakers. Something that fits straight in would be preferable.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
When you say that these fitted the OEM door bezel, do you mean into the plastic ported enclosure that hold the std 5.25 inch sub woofer? I have just replaced my head unit and need to upgrade my door speakers. Something that fits straight in would be preferable.
Yes. I mean I unscrewed the 5.25 speakers, and directly screwed the pioneer 6.5 speakers into the same mounting holes. No changes were made.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:23 AM   #9

Garage
Great. Did you notice a big increase in volume?

I have installed an Alpine Head unit with one channel driving the dash speakers, and the second channel driving the door (original subs) plus the speakers I have installed in the rear shelf (i.e. total of 4 speakers). Problem is that the door (original subs) are very quiet now. Your solution may be the answer to my problem
Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Did the connectors on the OEM speakers just plug into the new speakers, or did you have to splice some different ones?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #11

Garage
Someone should mention that these are 4ohm speakers, and the stock 5.25" speakers are 2ohm. You get half the power/effective volume output per a given volume setting. A custom amp setup or individual channel adjustments could fix this, but beware if you are using the stock cdr220.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Someone should mention that these are 4ohm speakers, and the stock 5.25" speakers are 2ohm. You get half the power/effective volume output per a given volume setting. A custom amp setup or individual channel adjustments could fix this, but beware if you are using the stock cdr220.
I suspect that the original setup either used a 2 ohm stable amp or that the bass reflects in the doors were wired in series (to make 4 ohms) and the amp was bridged to send one signal to the door speakers. Does anyone know for sure?

Tony
amagalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #13

Garage
I just did this upgrade today on my 1999.
I used the speakers listed in the original post, and they worked great with no mods as stated by OP.
I feel it provided at least a 25% improvement.
I had already replaced the OEM radio with a new Pioneer unit, so now I'm all set.
Thanks to the OP for this information.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #14

Garage
Did you keep the amp or swap it out too? I bought the speakers and am planning on doing the swap hopefully next weekend. I am also putting in a Pioneer HU.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Did you keep the amp or swap it out too? I bought the speakers and am planning on doing the swap hopefully next weekend. I am also putting in a Pioneer HU.
I changed to a new Pioneer unit last year, and then yesterday replaced the speakers.
I didn't have an amp.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #16

I swapped to these speakers as well and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in how to wire the door speakers as "rear speakers" rather than "subwoofers? I'm waiting on a new 4 channel amp that will push more power all the way around, but I want more definition from the door speakers rather than bass only, as the stock door speakers were built and wired for. Anyone know how to accomplish that?
driftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #17

Bump. Anyone?
driftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #18

Sure. Get the pin outs for the amplifier sub outputs and connect your head units rear speakers directly to the outputs.

Amp connector output (6 channel amp)
Right door (sub)+ 17
Right door (sub - 7
Left door (sub)+ 18
Left door (sub- 8

Right dash + 9
Right dash - 19
Left dash + 10
Left dash - 20

Right rear + 5
Right rear - 15
Left rear + 6
Left rear - 16

I've done it recently, it sounds much better than I thought it would. I don't have my rear speakers connected at all right now and don't really miss them at all.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #19

I just picked up a '98 Boxster. Amazed that i van actually hear the stereo in a convertible. Anyway, I am always wanting to improve things and I have been reading posts about swapping speakers. I wanted to hear what my door speakers were doing and when I adjusted the fader to the rear there was nothing coming out of the speakers. As this normals. Are the door speakers driven off the front channel. I do have an amp but I do not have the rear cubby speakers.

Thanks.
jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #20

Garage
Rear channel drove my door speakers and front channel my dash speakers - I would guess yours would be the same but mine is a 2003 model and the amps were changed for later models. Sounds like you may have a faulty amp?