Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

somebody PLEASE help

I'll start from the beginning. My son purchased a 1998 Porsche Boxster against my advice. After all I'm only the father. He was driving the said vehicle when everything on the dash stopped working. I purchased a used dash and installed it. Still nothing worked. Up to this point the car would start and run. I was told it could be the dash itself or the electrical part of the ignition switch. Both were replaced. Dash would still not work but the car would still start and run. I contacted a company called DC AUTO.
They sent me a dash ($366.00) I installed the dash and it WORKED. So then I went to start the car and nothing. Everything works in the car I.E. heater, lights, radio (only have to get the code) etc. There was a crack in the battery so that was replaced. Is there something I'm missing? Does it have to go to a dealer? Is there something I could do so I don't have to go to the dealer? This has me very confused. Any advice may be helpful.

irelandmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It won't start, or it won't turn over?

If you replaced with a new ignition switch, my next logical step would be the clutch pedal switch. If it's not working, the car will do everything but turn over. If your replacement ignition switch was used, get a new one. Those things have enough trouble as it is.

I don't think that your gauge cluster and start issues are necessarily related

Edit: you can check the clutch pedal switch fairly easily by simply jumping it's connections.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-19-2014 at 08:49 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

The ignition switch was new. I'm sorry, it is a automatic trans.
It is not turning over. When I go to start it - nothing
Old 04-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #4

I *think* gauge cluster has to get coded to ecu and immobiliser. otherwise immobiliser won't let ecu start engine. that's a job for someone with Porsche computer (piwis or pst2).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
I *think* gauge cluster has to get coded to ecu and immobiliser. otherwise immobiliser won't let ecu start engine. that's a job for someone with Porsche computer (piwis or pst2).
That is correct.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #6

Unhappy

So, I have to do something i dread

Take it to a dealer.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That's up to you. If you are somewhat tech inclined, you can DIY with an EEPROM programmer.

It's just a matter of copying your old clusters encrypted data into the new cluster. I have instructions if you decide to do this.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #8

I feel your pain....
Old 04-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
Beginner

Garage
You have a lot of variables going on. To see if it is the new dash, you might put the old one in to see if it starts, and who knows, if it was a poor connection the old dash may work again.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #10

Question

Particlewave,

What do you mean by eprom? Is it a software program?
Where can it be purchased?
Old 04-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Its probably way more involved than you wanted to get.
That programmer should still be floating around here somewheres...I can't remember who had it last.

Search "Carrera Gauge Swap" on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Here's some information for anyone who wants to repair a defective 996 cluster (for example my 996 cluster had a bad lcd) with the good circuit board from a 986. The benefit for me was that I was able to perform the 996 cluster swap by using a defective cluster that cost me $155. It looks like non-defective 996 clusters cost $500 or more, so the savings are significant. In addition, you can swap over the mileage from your Boxster without sending it a speedometer shop. One shop is charging $200 for this service. Gavin Yuill was the person who figured this all out, so he should receive the credit.

Please note - I did this using a cluster from a 2000 996 and a 2000 986. These are the "old style" clusters with the blue, white and black connectors. I don't know if it will work with the "new style" clusters. Also, if you try this at home, you assume all the risks.

The good news about swapping the circuit boards is that the MY 2000 986 and 996 circuit boards are identical. The bad news is that the programming in them is different. In my case, this meant when I attached my 986 circuit board to my 996 gauges the voltmeter didn't work. I also expect that the analog speedometer would be off by a bit and the mileage would be incorrect.

As Gavin says in his post, the way around this is to copy the programming from the 996 circuit board and write it to the 986 circuit board. At the same time, you can copy 3 lines of code from your 986 and use it to update the mileage and the Vehicle Identification Number from your Boxster. You can probably also turn on the cabriolet top operation light and the on board computer as well. However, I did not have to do this in my car. Perhaps Gavin can share this information too.

In order to do this, you need a device called an Eprom programmer. You also need a clip to attach the programmer to your circuit board. On my model year 2000 circuit boards, the chip is above the center lcd and slightly to the left. Here's a picture of the set up:

Here are the basic steps you will follow:

1. Connect the programmer to the Carrera circuit board.
2. Download the programming from the Carrera cluster and save it to a file. (On the EPROM programmer I bought I was required to "swap bytes" when downloading. There is a selection in the programmer software that does this automatically.)
3. Disconnect from the Carrera circuit board and connect to the Boxster circuit board.
4. Download the programming from the Boxster chip.
5. Copy the first line of the Boxster programming and use it to overwrite the first line of code in the file containing the Carrera coding. (This contains the odometer reading. It's encrypted, probably as a deterrent to odometer fraud.)
6. Copy the second half of the second line of the Boxster code and copy it to the second half of the second line of the Carrera code. Copy the first half of the third line of the Boxster code to the first half of the third line of the Carrera code. This updates the VIN.
7. Save the modified code to a new file.
8. Write the modified Carrera code file to the Boxster chip
9. Reassemble everything and you're done.

Here's a picture of the computer code that I copied from my Carrera chip. Note how the VIN starts in the middle of the second line and ends in the middle of the third line.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

If you didn't get two keys with the car and you need or want a second key, you might want to have the new key programmed to the ECU and immobilizer at the same time as the new cluster. Otherwise, you'll be back at the dealer again in two weeks.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote