Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #1

Getting the brake reservoir screen out

How the heck do I get it out without damaging it? I want to suck out as much brake fluid from the reservoir as I can before doing the flush...

Old 04-17-2014, 12:40 AM   #2

I don't think you can remove it without damage...
I've replace my fluid every year for the last 5 years of ownership, and every year I try to remove the screen without success. So this year I got a wide blade screwdriver & thin nose pliers, gave it a good yank and strong leverage from the sidewall - it came out with a pop but the plastic ears are slightly gnarled now.
Damn thing....
Old 04-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #3

I got mine out without damage, but you have to be brave.

JFP is about to jump in here and ask "Why the heck are you guys taking that out in the first place?", which is actually a pretty valid question as there really is no need to remove it or remove fluid from the reservoir prior to doing a flush. I know this now, but at the time wasn't going with the best advice and thought I had to take it out.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #4

Clickman, I almost ruined my resoivor attempting to remove that screen. Just buy a Motive PowerBleeder, fill it with new fluid, and push out all the old through the furthest most brake caliper bleed nipple.

It's easier and far faster that attempting to suck out the old stuff with a turkey baster or whatever method you're planning to use.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

I'll admit it: I ruined mine trying to take it out. Spent $300 to replace. Another le$$on learned.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #6

I use a pair of surgical type locking forceps (a great tool to have on many occasions) to grab the plastic cup part on two opposite sides, and pull hard while twisting a bit.

I always suck out my old fluid first. Otherwise you are just diluting the new fluid into the old fluid when you bleed. A Power Bleeder is great, and I use that too, but only after filling the reservoir with new fluid.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #7

Dont try to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir.. Just use the power bleeder and pump the old fluid out of the reservoir. watch the resrvoir until its almost empty, then add brake fluid and bleed.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
JFP is about to jump in here and ask "Why the heck are you guys taking that out in the first place?", which is actually a pretty valid question as there really is no need to remove it or remove fluid from the reservoir prior to doing a flush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Just buy a Motive PowerBleeder, fill it with new fluid, and push out all the old through the furthest most brake caliper bleed nipple.
It's easier and far faster that attempting to suck out the old stuff with a turkey baster or whatever method you're planning to use.
I saw the thread where JFP said not to take it out, so I tried that. I had only one litre of gold fluid to go into the Motive bleeder, and when it was nearing empty the reservoir still looked thoroughly blue and the fluid coming out of the right rear bleeder was still mostly blue. So I don't know how much fluid you really need to do it that way, but clearly I didn't have enough.

It's been a couple years since I did it last, and, since I can barely remember last week, I've forgotten how I did it, but I do remember that I only needed one litre of fluid that time.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Dont try to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir.. Just use the power bleeder and pump the old fluid out of the reservoir. watch the resrvoir until its almost empty, then add brake fluid and bleed.
Just saw your reply, san. Makes great sense and I think I'll try that.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Agreed. Excellent suggestion. I'll just add that if you don't plan on bleeding the clutch, be careful how low you let the master cylinder go. The outlet for the clutch is on the side, not the bottom like the brake line.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #11

I don't honestly see the point in doing the brake lines and not the clutch, as they're in a common system. All part of the job, to me.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
Registered Boxster abuser

personally I don't like running the crap in the reservoir thru the master esp if the fluid is dark or worst has changed colors due to the fluid absorbing too much water

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote