Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 01:09 AM   #1

Best Induction System for 'S'

Can someone give me some guidance with induction systems, which is the best looked at true flow and EVO, baring in mind that I live in a hot climate - not sure if a cone type induction kit is the right choice, although the EVO sytem does have a enclosed fresh air box. Also worried it might mess up the MAF sensor. (2001 'S')

lewbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewbo
Can someone give me some guidance with induction systems, which is the best looked at true flow and EVO, baring in mind that I live in a hot climate - not sure if a cone type induction kit is the right choice, although the EVO sytem does have a enclosed fresh air box. Also worried it might mess up the MAF sensor. (2001 'S')
At this point I would have to say the best one is the OEM one. What are you trying to achieve by changing out oem system? You should weigh the pros and cons.

EVO Induction Pros
1. More induction sound.
2. Ummmm......

EVO Induction Cons
1. Little or no Hp gain.
2. Possible MAF foulups and CEL's
3. Possibly void warranty
4. Total pain in the ass to install.

You can achieve your goal of more induction sound by desnorkling plus as you mentioned the EVO cone induction isn't a 100% cold air induction system like the OEM system. In that respect, you are taking a step back by switching to the EVO. The EVO has a "heat shield" which may help some, but I really doubt it is a completely sealed system like the OEM induction.

Last edited by Adam; 02-19-2006 at 05:23 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:30 AM   #3

Forget the Evo... I installed it, dynoed it and junked it. I still have the complete set around if you want it. Haven't had time to put it up on Ebay...

I experienced bhp/torque loss all the way through to about 6,000rpm+. Thereafter, there's a slight gain of about 2-3bhp. I posted this sometime back. Do a search under my nick and you'll find it. The ONLY upside is the increased induction sound when you floor it... I still miss it till today. You'll suffer intake temp increase as well as the heat shield supplied by Evo is nowhere near as effective as the stock air box. I did a before/after temp measurement by putting a temp sensor in place and this was also documented in my writeout. And where you're living is an oven during summer and you'll want to keep that temp down as much as possible. Remember the general guideline of every 10 degrees increase in intake temp is about 1% loss in bhp.

It's a real PITA to fit the original airbox back but I did it anyway. Paid my mechanic a day's labour to get the thing back in place. The best compromise is to use the original airbox AND piping with a BMC filter. Believe it or not, the stock piping has a air reservoir that makes the car more drivable. Something about it keeping a reserve of air for use when the air in the piping runs out. A friend of mine who's into tuning cars for competition told me that. And he's doing pretty well in the local circuit for me to put some trust into his words....

Evo has another kit that replaces the piping but keeps the stock air-box. No point also in my opinion.... But I've read a few posts lately praising the gains of the Evo's kit... not sure how they quantified the gains but for me, real dyno figures speaks more.

Same goes for the GIAC flash program for our cars. I spent $200 on courier to send my ECU to Evo to get it flashed. Dynoed the car, bhp/torque loss so I send it for another $200 back to them to get it reverted back to stock. Again, I've read positive comments on the GIAC programs so I can only put it down to the slight difference in my car and the cars in the US.

Last edited by clubhead; 02-19-2006 at 05:37 AM.
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:52 AM   #4

Did you modify the exhaust when you installed the EVO/GIAC together? Like headers or removing the 2nd cats?
B&M short shifter
IPD Cayman-S Plenum
80mm Throttle Body
FVD Sport Muffler
Fabspeed catbypass
EVO Intake
PSS9
Light flywheel and Sach stage II clutch
Front/Rear Strut Brace
Undetectable K40/3
Rear Defuser
Rear spoiler
kias@tampabay.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:41 AM   #5

I am not an expert...however, I keep saying the same thing: Porsche has put millions into developing this car...do we really think we are going to improve this car through aerodynamic, engine or suspension changes? My vote is no...in my humble opinion of course!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:43 AM   #6

Hi,

I've said it many times. Mildly Modding a Boxster Engine for performance is mostly a waste of time. The expense is tremendous and the gains (if any) are minimal at best, and usually only on the extreme end of the Tach and usually at the sacrifice of some usable power in the mid-ranges. But, there is a HUGE Marketing Effort by Aftermarket Suppliers to convince you otherwise. Almost ALL gains are Placebic.

Frankly, it's all a lot of Automotive Jewelry. The very best mods without Forced Induction yield maybe a 10% increase (this is really generous, and will still leave your Car feeling anemic compared to many others) and will cost you between $3500 and $5000, not a very good Trade.

There are no quick fixes in the Boxster M96 Engine. Either you go to full Forced Induction (several kits out there, each with it's own drawbacks), or you pursue the time-honored method of increasing the Bore/Stroke, Increase Valve Size and Lift (Headwork, new Valves/Cam), increase Fuel and Air Delivery (intake/injectors), along with a new Box to control it all. I don't know of anyone who's taken this approach because the task is Gargantuan and far exceeds the effort and expense of simply dropping in a 996 Engine.

A much better way to go would be to improve the suspension and put the Car on a Diet, so the stock power has less Mass to push around.

IMHO, anyone dissatisfied with the Boxsters performance simply bought the Wrong Car. Whatever you do to a Boxster, something else out there will Eat it for Lunch. These guys need to step up to a 996/997, Vette, Viper, or the like.

All considered, the Best Induction System for your Car is the one it Already has...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-19-2006 at 06:51 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Whatever you do to a Boxster, something else out there will Eat it for Lunch. These guys need to step up to a 996/997, Vette, Viper, or the like...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Amen brother! I see the light...I see the light! Woohoo! I'm spent...
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 02-19-2006, 06:56 AM   #8

If you really want to move with ALACRITY and DISPATCH...buy a top fuel dragster. Just don't turn any corners. That very point is what everyone is forgetting...you won't beat them in the quarter mile, but you will smoke them like a trout (write that down) in the twisties. TWISTIES PEOPLE...TWISTIES! That is why you bought this car! Say it with me...TWISTIES...Tuh-wih-s-tees.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 02-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #9

The boxster is not a ricer and does not respond to modding very well.

I think enough of us have broken our ax on that point, costing us countless dollars and pain.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:08 AM   #10

I just installed an EVO kit and put a giant wing on the back....I included a picture.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 02-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
I just installed an EVO kit and put a giant wing on the back....I included a picture.
Like a bat out of hell, no?

Good one!

Old 02-19-2006, 07:31 AM   #12
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26

Imagine the trout you could smoke with that fire!

That was a great quote, Rail26
Old 02-19-2006, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
The boxster is not a ricer and does not respond to modding very well.

I think enough of us have broken our ax on that point, costing us countless dollars and pain.

Which, actually in a way is kind of nice--it keeps us from having to spend money on that sort of thing.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #14

"Which, actually in a way is kind of nice--it keeps us from having to spend money on that sort of thing. "

Agreed!

Old 02-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #15

Best bang for the buck after reading posts from legit posters on modding are:

1)B&M or equivelant shifter.
2)Desnorkel Mod for the sound (NO HP GAIN!) (FREE!)
3)Strut tower braces...I believe it was MNBoxster who said these make a huge difference!
4)Driving School...learn to drive the car correctly and you will be rewarded!
Old 02-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar

3)Strut tower braces...I believe it was MNBoxster who said these make a huge difference!

I would agree, these are all good stuff!

Old 02-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kias@tampabay.rr.com
Did you modify the exhaust when you installed the EVO/GIAC together? Like headers or removing the 2nd cats?
Before I did the Evo kit, I already had the Dansk manifold, sports cat and muffer installed. The works as far as exhaust systems are concerned Dyno tests revealed gains for the manifold and cats but slight loss on the muffler. But I left that on anyway since I kinda like the sound and the torque/bhp loss is not that much...
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #18

Desnorkeling??

Yeh, I just needed to hear it from some one else that it's probably pointless messing with the intake, although a K&N replacement panel filter might be a good idea to get rid of the paper filter, also how do I go about desnorkeling the intake, all I am looking for is a little more sound as I am a induction noise junkie - like everyone else come on admit it!!!. thanks for the info
lewbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar

Yes strut tower braces for front & rear. Thanks to MNBoxster and Rail, the boxs now can Tuh-wih-s-t better plus a good scratch on my hand from installing the rear
Old 02-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewbo
Yeh, I just needed to hear it from some one else that it's probably pointless messing with the intake, although a K&N replacement panel filter might be a good idea to get rid of the paper filter, also how do I go about desnorkeling the intake, all I am looking for is a little more sound as I am a induction noise junkie - like everyone else come on admit it!!!. thanks for the info
Forget the K&N! Why waste money on something that *may* harm your MAF?!?! The paper filter is all this car will ever need. To desnorkel, here is what I did: http://www.xclusivecar.com/Porsche_Boxster_S_DeSnorkel_Mod.htm