View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 05:30 AM   #3
clubhead

Forget the Evo... I installed it, dynoed it and junked it. I still have the complete set around if you want it. Haven't had time to put it up on Ebay...

I experienced bhp/torque loss all the way through to about 6,000rpm+. Thereafter, there's a slight gain of about 2-3bhp. I posted this sometime back. Do a search under my nick and you'll find it. The ONLY upside is the increased induction sound when you floor it... I still miss it till today. You'll suffer intake temp increase as well as the heat shield supplied by Evo is nowhere near as effective as the stock air box. I did a before/after temp measurement by putting a temp sensor in place and this was also documented in my writeout. And where you're living is an oven during summer and you'll want to keep that temp down as much as possible. Remember the general guideline of every 10 degrees increase in intake temp is about 1% loss in bhp.

It's a real PITA to fit the original airbox back but I did it anyway. Paid my mechanic a day's labour to get the thing back in place. The best compromise is to use the original airbox AND piping with a BMC filter. Believe it or not, the stock piping has a air reservoir that makes the car more drivable. Something about it keeping a reserve of air for use when the air in the piping runs out. A friend of mine who's into tuning cars for competition told me that. And he's doing pretty well in the local circuit for me to put some trust into his words....

Evo has another kit that replaces the piping but keeps the stock air-box. No point also in my opinion.... But I've read a few posts lately praising the gains of the Evo's kit... not sure how they quantified the gains but for me, real dyno figures speaks more.

Same goes for the GIAC flash program for our cars. I spent $200 on courier to send my ECU to Evo to get it flashed. Dynoed the car, bhp/torque loss so I send it for another $200 back to them to get it reverted back to stock. Again, I've read positive comments on the GIAC programs so I can only put it down to the slight difference in my car and the cars in the US.

Last edited by clubhead; 02-19-2006 at 05:37 AM.
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote