Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #1

Muffler question/clarification

I have been doing some research on upgrading my exhuast (Base 2000 2.7l) and found a tremendous amount of information and help on this forum, I have a few specific questions thou that I would like to pose to see if anyone may answer them.

1. As anyone tried the Borla muffler? (The website states its only for the "S", which leads me into the next question.

2. The Dansk catalog shows that their sport exhaust muffler (sausage) for the 2000-02 Boxster will fit the base and the "S" model, which kind of indicates that might be true for other manufactures? insight/comments/experience?

3. That same catalog also shows you can install the S Pressed Sport on a base box with the purchase of the update kit Part# 912927, as anyone used or seen what that entails?

Thanks

johne4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
1. As anyone tried the Borla muffler? (The website states its only for the "S", which leads me into the next question.
- The borla muffler will fit on a base car as well. The reason they list it as for a Boxster S, is because that is the car they did the testing/development of their muffler for. The mounting points for the muffler are the same on a base or S version, so you can mount the borla on the base car. Someone here has a borla on their car. Do a search for "borla", and you'll see the posts.

2. The Dansk catalog shows that their sport exhaust muffler (sausage) for the 2000-02 Boxster will fit the base and the "S" model, which kind of indicates that might be true for other manufactures? insight/comments/experience?
- Again, any muffler that fits on an S, will fit on the base, as the mounting points are the same.

3. That same catalog also shows you can install the S Pressed Sport on a base box with the purchase of the update kit Part# 912927, as anyone used or seen what that entails?
- The info here is not really correct. The only difference you should be aware of is that starting from 2000 models and up, the muffler mounting system is slightly different on than the pre 2000 models, so if you have a 1997, 1998, or 1999 Boxster, you will have to buy the additional mounting kit, which includes a crossbar that includes vibration isolators to mount the exhaust on your pre-2000 model. If you have a 2000+ model base or S, you don't need to buy the mounting kit, as your car already has all the correct mounting brackets. I have the Dansk pressed sport exhaust with the super sound tips on my base 2001, and did not need to purchase any additional mounting kits. Simple bolt on process.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #3

I heard that the Borla is oppressively loud. Just what I have heard.
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #4

The Borla can be a bit rough with the top up in the sub 2800k rpm range.

With the top down there's no issue.

It's really best when you're running through the gears.

I'd think twice before I installed it on my daily driver.

The Dansk sport might be the better real world choice.

bob
04S
Borla
BMC

BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote