Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #1

Boxster Brake Upgrade

Hi,

I drive a 1999 2.5L Boxster that is in urgent need of having its brakes sorted.
Rather than a straight replacement, I am considering upgrading the brakes with ones from the “S” model (1999 – 2004) as, if feasible, now would be the time to do it.
How difficult would it be to do ? Is it a bolt-on replacement or it would require extensive modification to the car ?
Do I need to replace anything else apart from the brake callipers, discs and pads? I run the car on 17” original five spoke alloys.
Cheers
Denis

backsprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #2

It is my understanding that the Brembo big brake upgrade described in the following article is very similar to the "S" brakes:

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Big Brake Kit Upgrade - 986 / 987

The steps in this topic will probably match what you need to do pretty closely.

The bigger rotors and calipers should fit in the 17" wheels.

Here is another thread that covers some of the other considerations:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/45751-installing-986-s-brakes-base-986-a.html

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by backsprocket View Post
Hi,

I drive a 1999 2.5L Boxster that is in urgent need of having its brakes sorted.
Rather than a straight replacement, I am considering upgrading the brakes with ones from the “S” model (1999 – 2004) as, if feasible, now would be the time to do it.
How difficult would it be to do ? Is it a bolt-on replacement or it would require extensive modification to the car ?
Do I need to replace anything else apart from the brake callipers, discs and pads? I run the car on 17” original five spoke alloys.
Cheers
Denis
Pads, rotors and calipers will get you there on the front but it may be complete overkill unless you recently dropped in a 3.6L or are competing in Grand Am. Stock 986 brakes are pretty amazing with fresh fluid, quality pads and rotors.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #4

What he said

Complete overkill. Fix what you have (or find a competent shop) the 2.5's have KILLER brakes when bled properly with good pads and good fluid.

Tidbit of info: The 2.5/2.7 cars have the same master cylinder as the BoxsterS/996. So when you install the larger calipers/rotors? You end up with a softer pedal than what you had with the STOCK black calipers

Sucky.

Want to step up? Install the 996GT3 master cylinder with the BoxS/996 calipers.. now you have something..

Topless doesn't know it, but we switched the big brakes in our Boxster pro car... and went back to the smaller ones!!
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #5

Boxster 1999 2.5 Brake Upgrade

Thank you for all the info, folks ! Seems like I should stick to my stock 2.5 brakes.
Problem is; I'm just about broke so may have to go for after-market parts.
Safety is uppermost in my mind but I need to think about a "budget" solution for replacing my shagged out discs and pads.
I am in the UK so parts available hear would be preferable.
Your suggestions / experience would be MOST welcome !

Cheers

backsprocket is offline   Reply With Quote