Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Complete roof change

Hi guys. I have the chance of a hood and frame with glass window from an 02 car it has glass window with Porsche stamped on it. Will this fit straight on my 99 car? Thanks in advance.

Tyre chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyre chief View Post
Hi guys. I have the chance of a hood and frame with glass window from an 02 car it has glass window with Porsche stamped on it. Will this fit straight on my 99 car? Thanks in advance.
I have 2001 base and I did the same update.
I am pretty sure the Boxster's glass window started in 2003.
Anyway, if the complete top, (the hood and the frame), was on 2002, you can install it on '99.

The top you are looking at might be from 2003. Or, it might be a 2002 top with a glass update. The best way to determine is to count the number of folds that the top makes when the top is lowered. I think 2003 has one more fold.

Here is a link to youtube video of a 986forum member.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGCKcRrmR_c
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
I have 2001 base and I did the same update.
I am pretty sure the Boxster's glass window started in 2003.
Anyway, if the complete top, (the hood and the frame), was on 2002, you can install it on '99.

The top you are looking at might be from 2003. Or, it might be a 2002 top with a glass update. The best way to determine is to count the number of folds that the top makes when the top is lowered. I think 2003 has one more fold.

Here is a link to youtube video of a 986forum member.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGCKcRrmR_c
Think it might be out of a face lift and oe with it having Porsche stamp on glass. Would this still fit. Not I am assuming.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #4

The pre-03 tops that came originally with a plastic window had three bows, whereas the tops that came with a glass window had four. If you have three bows and a glass window then it is an aftermarket top. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #5

I think this is a face lift oe part been told by some one who sells the glass window upgrade it won't fit. Shame it's a good price.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyre chief View Post
I think this is a face lift oe part been told by some one who sells the glass window upgrade it won't fit. Shame it's a good price.
If the top was on a 2002, properly, it should fit in your car.

I agree with Mark_T, there is nothing wrong with a pre-2003 that's been converted to glass. That just means someone else did all the hard work for you.

mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote