Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #1

DIY convertible top install?

Any of you ever R&R your convertible top as a DIY project? How hard a job was it? Are the glass windows worth the extra $?

Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #2

It's been discussed to death in countless threads. Do a search.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #3

DIY top

It can be done if you are careful. It is a lot of work and should be done in warm weather. (easier to stretch the canvas). Glass top is well worth it to me. I would carefully label each type screw and fittings. I did for but the last two screws and wouldn't you know it I forgot where they went. Figured it out much later now can't find the screws. Truthfully it was time consuming and lot of work. As mentioned by the other member there are numerous posts and downloads with instructions. Keep in mind there are variations and your top could be slightly different than the one in the instructions. The two plastic sliders and pins on the side are fairly cheap and easy to break. I would get new ones. Good luck
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
If you are patient and can pay attention to detail it is very doable. Mine only took an afternoon to complete. Mark however clearly makes a good point, there is ton's of data on the sight, so go do your homework!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

How to do it with pictures here.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #6

Thanks all!
Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #7

Garage
That was my first DIY project on my Boxster. It took me a full day to perform the task. But the result is top quality. I did install the glass window. Lot better the only thing is the real glass is a little smaller so less vision with the top on. If you email me I can send you the instructions received with my new top.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

I greatly admire you guys who replaced your own top. After replacing the top on an earlier owned Miata, I swore that I would never, ever, ever, ever replace a soft top again. So, when it came time to replace my Boxster top, I had a local shop do the install for an affordable $350. Best $350 that I ever spent.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #9

Here are a lot of pictures of a convertible top replacement from the 101 Projects site:
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Convertible New Top - 986 / 987

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Texas-T

Garage
Someone cut my top open with a knife, so i took it to the dealer, and it was covered by my insurance claim, minus the deductible. the dealers cost for the aftermarket top (with glass,) and interior liner, and labor was over $5k. I had to go back repeatedly, i don't even want to say how many times i had to back there, but lets just say i got to know the service guys very well during the process. On one visit, i had to take home an overnight loaner. Seems like it must be quite a tricky job if even they struggled with it! One thing to note, they told me not to open the replacement top for 30 days, because it needs time to stretch and break in just like a pair of new shoes.

Last edited by tconnarn; 03-17-2014 at 12:20 PM. Reason: i cant't spell to good
tconnarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnarn View Post
Someone cut my top open with a knife, so i took it to the dealer, and it was covered by my insurance claim, minus the deductible. the dealers cost for the aftermarket top (with glass,) and interior liner, and labor was over $5k. I had to go back repeatedly, i don't even want to say how many times i had to back there, but lets just say i got to know the service guys very well during the process. On one visit, i had to take home an overnight loaner. Seems like it must be quite a tricky job if even they struggled with it! One thing to note, they told me not to open the replacement top for 30 days, because it needs time to stretch and break in just like a pair of new shoes.
Let me guess, they warranty their work for 30 days, lol.

I think the dealer made out like bandits if they convinced the insurer to pay over $5k. You can buy a new top with glass for just over $500. Someone is scamming insurer. I've heard that a car upholstery shop will charge approx $500 labor to install.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #12

I want to personally thank mikefocke for the awesome DIY. My top turned out perfect. I'm guessing you saved me $1k. I owe ya one Mike! The only issue I had was the double sided tape didn't work too well, but I used spray adhesive and it worked well. Here is what I installed... Porsche 986 Boxster Convertible Top Black German A5 1997 2002 | eBay

:dance:

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote