Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

986 suspension tune up for an average Joe - advice?

My '01 S has 140K miles on its stock suspension, and while there are no critically pressing repairs that need to be made (which I'm aware of), I'm assuming things are a bit tired and worn down-under. I'd like to bring the car up to date, eliminate a few minor rattles, improve driving feel and responsiveness, and not go broke in the process. Its a daily driving car that my wife needs to enjoy too, and doesn't sniff the track. I'm a fairly average driver, but I don't hesitate to open it up on the highway and I love a nice winding mountain road now and then. Heck, that's why we own these things, right? Here are the things I've settled in my mind I need to do in the next month or so: (1) 4 new tires; (2) new brakes and rotors, flush fluid; (3) new shocks/struts/hardware; and (4) proper alignment and check rims for straightness. I've also assumed that once into the project I'll discover the need to replace worn bushings and ball joints here and there. Hopefully not a lot of things. I'm a total newbie, so here are my questions:
1. Tires: I'm debating between the Michelin PS2's or Hankook Ventus V12's. Given the Hankook's are half the price of the Michelin's, can anyone advise me on tires?
2. Brakes: I was intending to order brake pads, hardware, and Zimmerman rotors from Pelican. I don't think I need everything in their super kit. Any comments?
3. Suspension: I go back and forth on this subject. I feel torn between upgrading with a ROW M030 kit, and going with new Bilstein HD shocks/struts all around and keeping my existing stock springs. I notice that the price of the M030 kit is going up and its availability for my vehicle is limited. Is there a rush on these kits I should get in on while I can? Or given my driving characteristics, would I be money ahead and would it result in just as satisfying a driving experience to go the Bilstein HD route?
4. Since the car will be apart in this manner, any other good "while you're there" suggestions that won't result in a too much of a project snow-ball?? (ex. wheel bearings? axle boots?)
Thanks so much for any advice! Sorry if the questions and concerns seem novice, I'm on a steep but fascinating learning curve.

Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #2

Garage
1) i have Hankook V12's on another car. Hate them. TERRIBLE in water, and sketchy on dry - pretty unpredictable. Not sure how they would be on a Porsche, but on an M3 they are not recommended. Advise you go with Michelin PSS's (not PS2's)...

2) Those rotors are fine, I put them on my car as well.

3) at 140k miles, i'd probably go the cheapest route, or do nothing unless they are flat out broken. since you are "assuming", i'd just leave it. Tires / rotors / brakes are way more important...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
1) i have Hankook V12's on another car. Hate them. TERRIBLE in water, and sketchy on dry - pretty unpredictable. Not sure how they would be on a Porsche, but on an M3 they are not recommended. Advise you go with Michelin PSS's (not PS2's)...
Interesting. You are the only person I have ever heard say this about the Hankook V12's. Everyone else here who has tried them says they are great tires.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

1) Tyres - Michelins are twice the price of most other brands for a good reason - they're are better than most.

2) You won't go wrong with the MO30 suspension kit - it will fit correctly, feel better and has the springs, roll bars and bushes included. Not sure if the kit also contains new rubber gaitors.
Your 140K springs are also past their best too.

3) When I installed my PSS9's, I found that I also needed new shock top bushes and bearings as the originals were worn. Also consider replacing the 4 x drop links (not expensive) which tend to rattle when worn.

Your suspension upgrade will not be cheap whichever way you roll the dice, but when its installed together with a good wheel alignment, it will feel like you're driving a new car.....
Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the inputs. Interesting how opinions differ so drastically regarding tires. Anyone know the difference between the stock sway bars that are already on the car and the replacement sway bars that come with the M030 kit?
Old 01-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Interesting. You are the only person I have ever heard say this about the Hankook V12's. Everyone else here who has tried them says they are great tires.
+1
got them both on my 01S that i sold (in 18" configuration), and on my current 99 base (in 17").
best tire for the $. and they also look good.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #7

Meir - I assume you're referring to the Hankook's?
Old 01-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #8

I see tires as an investment and so I went with what I think is the current 'best' but choose the super sports to get around the P-taxed PS2's. I am amazed at their grip and how long-lasting they are. World class.
If you don't mind the brake dust, stay with OEM pads as they are awesome in every way- world class.
Brake lines age and if yours are original now would be a great time to replace them. I know someone who has had total break failure twice due to a rubber line developing an aneurysm- it bubbles out and sucks up the line pressure that's supposed to be forcing the pads out! NO BRAKES, no warning. They're cheap whether you go with OEM or stainless covered.
Springs do age. They loose some of their spring rate, ride height and responsiveness. Touch AN ICON just got the ROW M030 kit for $ 979? I suggest replacing the FR strut mount bearings as they're cheap and effect steering.
Also the ROW kit will lower the car slightly while adding a slight nose down rake that Porsche had to do away with in order to meet North American bumper-height regs. I think the rake looks cool!
I've read here that the anti-roll bars are the same between ROW and M030. On my car, 70 000 mi the front bar was significantly worn by the bushing! Toughest bushings ever! Glad I was able to replace that one but the rear was fine. Regarding bearings- I changed all mine but afterwards read here about a tool that could do the job without removing all of the suspension. If it works ( Casper labs???) then one could wait till they NEED changing instead of being proactive.

Last edited by woodsman; 01-17-2014 at 03:03 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #9

Wood, I noticed you went with the ROW M030 for tiptronic, but you have a 6-speed manual (as do I). Any issues there?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #10

Garage
I'm also searching for new tires for mine and am comparing the 18" Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 against the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Tire rack gives very similar ratings for each brand. The Hankook's are approx. 1/2 cost of the Michelins. Has anyone looked at / tried the S1's?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #11

For those wanting excellent street tires at a great value, the BFG Sport Comp 2 cannot be beat. If it makes you Michelin OEM Porsche freaks feel any better, BFG is owned by Michelin. But if you want to pay for a name, well I guess that is why some people buy a P-car anyway.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

Garage
I own 2 Michelin SuperSport tires that required no weight for balancing. That is one of the things I'm paying for & receiving.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
+1
got them both on my 01S that i sold (in 18" configuration), and on my current 99 base (in 17").
Korean advertisement looks good on the side of a German Porsche?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

I've been running the Hankook V12's for nearly 3 years now. Really good tires for street and track. They dont like cold temps like here in Reno, sub-30, but then they are summer only by design. Probably close to 14k miles on mine now too.
onaFLYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2001S View Post
Wood, I noticed you went with the ROW M030 for tiptronic, but you have a 6-speed manual (as do I). Any issues there?
No problem but it should be a little higher spring rate. I saved $ 250 by doing so and it should make the car closer to mid-corner neutral.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #16

Point well taken on the out of place advertising. I've had many sets of Michelin tires on other standard cars over the years, and I've always felt they are the best tires available. The huge discrepancy in cost gives me pause to consider the options nevertheless, and those Hankook V12's do get very positive reviews from what I can tell. If I go with the M030 kit, is there a tire that you guys favor in terms of its compatibility with that setup? Here in So Cali, I'm assuming a summer tire will be appropriate most of the time. I don't plan to drive the car in snow, and a severe cold snap is when the thermometer dips below 60 degrees F. Tread wear, handling, road noise, warranty are therefore my chief considerations.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
+1
Perhaps it is a matter of perspective. I AX my car a lot using Toyo R888's. I wouldn't even CONSIDER AXing with the stock Michelin PS's on the car. I suspect those that are comparing the stock tires to V12's probably see the V12's as an improvement.

I will tell you that the guys running AX on dedicated tires run Toyo's, Michelins, or Nito's. NEVER seen anyone with V12's.

The guys who run a single tire and want improved performance (AXers or not) either have the PSS's, or are saving up for them ;-)

Like I said, i run them on an M3 as my DD and don't care for them. only AXed it once, and it was a disaster (i will take equal blame in that tho - 50% driver, 50% tires). Haven't tried V12's on a P-car.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #18

I loved my Michelin super sports on the boxster. That tire just performed and when my brother in law bought my car he just couldn't believe how tightly the car gripped the road. The SS are about $1000 but well worth it. I wish they were available for my TT.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #19

the ROW M030 kit has gone up. The price is now longer 979 ... its 1295++ ...... i checked @ the place that sold for 979 1 month ago. unfortunate!!

im pretty much in the same situation as u .... im thinking

bilstein struts HD + new original upper mounts + bushings & reusing my original springs.
BTfd2e93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #20

Anyone have experience with the Continental Extreme Contact DW's?