View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Dave2001S

986 suspension tune up for an average Joe - advice?

My '01 S has 140K miles on its stock suspension, and while there are no critically pressing repairs that need to be made (which I'm aware of), I'm assuming things are a bit tired and worn down-under. I'd like to bring the car up to date, eliminate a few minor rattles, improve driving feel and responsiveness, and not go broke in the process. Its a daily driving car that my wife needs to enjoy too, and doesn't sniff the track. I'm a fairly average driver, but I don't hesitate to open it up on the highway and I love a nice winding mountain road now and then. Heck, that's why we own these things, right? Here are the things I've settled in my mind I need to do in the next month or so: (1) 4 new tires; (2) new brakes and rotors, flush fluid; (3) new shocks/struts/hardware; and (4) proper alignment and check rims for straightness. I've also assumed that once into the project I'll discover the need to replace worn bushings and ball joints here and there. Hopefully not a lot of things. I'm a total newbie, so here are my questions:
1. Tires: I'm debating between the Michelin PS2's or Hankook Ventus V12's. Given the Hankook's are half the price of the Michelin's, can anyone advise me on tires?
2. Brakes: I was intending to order brake pads, hardware, and Zimmerman rotors from Pelican. I don't think I need everything in their super kit. Any comments?
3. Suspension: I go back and forth on this subject. I feel torn between upgrading with a ROW M030 kit, and going with new Bilstein HD shocks/struts all around and keeping my existing stock springs. I notice that the price of the M030 kit is going up and its availability for my vehicle is limited. Is there a rush on these kits I should get in on while I can? Or given my driving characteristics, would I be money ahead and would it result in just as satisfying a driving experience to go the Bilstein HD route?
4. Since the car will be apart in this manner, any other good "while you're there" suggestions that won't result in a too much of a project snow-ball?? (ex. wheel bearings? axle boots?)
Thanks so much for any advice! Sorry if the questions and concerns seem novice, I'm on a steep but fascinating learning curve.
Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote