Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #1

Creaky clutch

This 99 I'm considering has a creaking clutch pedal when stepped on with engine off(and engine on most likely). Any ideas on it? Are there bushing in the linkage that go bad? Cable perhaps?

Jeffn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:03 AM   #2

Hi,

A Creaking Clutch is NOT usually indicative of any Serious Problems. First off, where is the Creaking noise coming from?

If from the Front, it could be the Clutch Master PushRod, or the Bushings in the Pedal Mechanism or even the Starter Lock-out Switch. If the Car sat for any length of time, the Lub (Grease) on these areas may have simply dried out and a quick spray with some Spray Grease (NOT WD-40) will usually solve the problem.

If from the Rear, Engine related, this could be a little more serious, although not necessarily. The T/O Bearing or Pilot/Spigot Bearing may be dried and need some grease. This involves separating the Engine/Tranny to correct. Likewise, the Slave Pushrod or Cable attachment bushings could also be dried.

If the Car is in otherwise Good shape, take a Test Drive and check the Clutch operation. If mileage is under 50k, you may be on the original Clutch which will have more life behind it than ahead of it, so be sure to consider a Clutch replacement in the coming Months/Year. This is especially true when a Car changes hands because different Driving Habits will tend to accelerate wear as the Clutch is already used to a different Wear Pattern.

But, in any event, don't even consider a Purchase of a Used Porsche without a Quality PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection). This will run you $200-$300 for a proper one (from a Qualified Porsche Mechanic) and will better prepare you to negotiate and know what areas are deficient. But, realize that it won't Absolutely Guarantee a good Car. Some element of Risk in inherent in buying Any Used Car. That should not scare you, just do your Homework and you'll tilt the Odds waay in your Favor. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-24-2006 at 07:05 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:08 AM   #3

I recall reading

that there is a spring on the pedal, I think there is an updated part. Try searching the archives. Mine squeeks, but it doesn't bother me.

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4051&highlight=clutch+spring
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:42 AM   #4

mine squeaks too. Which is kind of getting annoying because I change gears allot. Its been 10,000 miles since my last oil change I'll ask the service guys to look at it when I get stop by.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
mine squeaks too. Which is kind of getting annoying because I change gears allot. Its been 10,000 miles since my last oil change I'll ask the service guys to look at it when I get stop by.
My car goes in Monday 1/30 to try and fix the squeak for the 13th time. It bothers me more than anything. My car just went out of warranty but because i have complained about it for the past year and a half Porsche authorized a full tear down to figure out what is going on. No cost to me of course. I will let u guys know what happens when they are done.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #6

That's great. I have this problem too. I can see the spring that you guys are talking about. I tried spraying some WD-40 to get rid of the noise. For some apparent reason, my friend says that it is the entire clutch that is worn out. Though the clutch is a little stiffer than it probably should be, I dont think it's the ENTIRE clutch wearing out. It's got to be the SPRING and the plastic piece rubbing against each other. JUst my 2 cents.
ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralegen
That's great. I have this problem too. I can see the spring that you guys are talking about. I tried spraying some WD-40 to get rid of the noise. For some apparent reason, my friend says that it is the entire clutch that is worn out. Though the clutch is a little stiffer than it probably should be, I dont think it's the ENTIRE clutch wearing out. It's got to be the SPRING and the plastic piece rubbing against each other. JUst my 2 cents.
Hi,

WD-40 is a Volatile Lubricant. This means that it will evaporate and that any benefit is temporary. It's often used simply because it is quick and easy.

But, You're much better off using a Spray Grease. This is Grease (non-volatile) in a Spray Can, and just as easy to use as WD-40.

Grease lasts much longer, and actually does a better job lubricating the part(s), than a Silicone Spray (WD-40).

3M makes one (which I use), and I'm sure there are others. The 3M stuff comes with a Spot Tube, similar to WD-40, so that you can precisely direct it to the needed area. Give it a try, it has many uses from Pedal Bushings to Door, Bonnet, Boot Hinges, etc...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #8

the clutch squeak

My '99 had the squeak in the clutch pedal. When I had it at the dealer they said I needed to replace the spring. They said it's a common problem and that's what they do.

Instead of having it replaced right off, I got under the dash with a mini flashlight & WD40 like a cave spelunker and sprayed the spring. It stopped squeaking. Still no squeak after a month.
ElStevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #9

Mine squeeked and occasionally felt a bit "spongier" than usual. After bringing it in, the dealership advised it needed a new clutch pedal assembly. They said there was a TSB about the problem. Not sure if this is correct. Anyhow...no squeeks and a beautiful dynamic feel throughout the pedals travel now.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #10

I'm baffled as to why I don't have this problem on my car. Lord knows it's had every other single repair requirement known to man.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #11

Mine sqeaks a bit too. Doesn't bother me that much though. It a common issue on the box I hear.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote