Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #1

Question clutch pedal effort

Just checked out a 2002 S with 62K. Did not take car on the road due to bad stoplight switch but I did start and run the engine and, with gearbox in neutral, depressed and released the clutch pedal a few times. The pedal effort was extreme (worse than my '83 911SC), with no freeplay and no discrenible point at which the clutch was engaging (even in neutral you can detect this in most cars). Not sure what would cause this with hydraulic clutch in a car that has not been modified for racing. Any ideas?

dgbakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #2

This is a typical clutch in need of replacement - a new one would be a lot less effort than your '83 SC.....
Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #3

Garage
I f you have not driven the car don't throw the verdict on the clutch good or bad. The clutch in all the Boxsters I've driven are all tight and hard to push. Mine will wear your leg out in stop and go traffic, and is less than 2 years old. Every one I've driven has to be on the floor to start. This include 2 Caymans S, 4 to 8 Base Boxsters, and 8 to 12 Boxster S models. I've instructed at auto cross events for novices to demonstrate the line and braking. I've test driven a dozen or more last fall looking for a new car. My original feeling was just like yours on my first clutch I change it and it was actually worse after the change.

Drive the car if you can detect a rpm change when you jump the throttle without a speed change the clutch is going. If you jump the throttle a couple time spiritedly and notice a foul acrid odder you may have a bad clutch. Any noise depressing the clutch could be a pressure plate or throw out bearing.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #4

Personally, I don't find the clutch that heavy to engage and, when I was trying out various Boxsters prior to purchase, I did find a couple where there was significantly more effort required to depress the clutch. Dgbaak should test-drive various Boxsters and he will rapidly be able to determine if one is problematic.
As has already been pointed out, clutches that are very heavy to engage typically require replacement of the clutch and/or repairs to the hydraulics.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
The other thing worth doing with the clutch is the clutch assist spring at the pedal end.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #6

Garage
The pressure you feel in the clutch pedal is the spring resistance of the pressure plate, transmitted through the hydraulics in the slave cylinder and master cylinder. I would be more concerned about low resistance in the pedal, as a bad pressure plate than high resistance being a bad pressure plate. Chattering as you release the clutch pedal or RPM varriations as you push the gas or that brunt acidic smell after spirited acceleration are a bad clutch symthoms.

My current and last 2 trucks had softer clutch pedals than either clucth in my Boxster and any other one I have driven. The same statemant is true for my wifes last and current car.

I haven't had an automatic car or truck in the 43 years I have driven.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #7

thanks

thanks for all this info. I have driven a few Boxster Ss and this is by far the most pedal effort I've encountered.

dgbakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch pedal