Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #1

Garage
Should I run straight pipes??

Just bought a 99 Boxster and I've watch several videos of Boxsters with straight pipes on youtube. They sound incredible through my speakers but I'm more concerned with the sound in person and performance. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thank you in advance!

Touch The Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #2

It's loud. You'll wake the living dead- loud. Rattles like a motorcycle. Not recommended by me.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
When I had my car set up with headers/cat delete/Borla it was beyond the noise regulations for SCCA autocross (98 decibels I think). On the street, at WOT, I may as well have been dialing 911 myself.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

Garage
Going to be way too loud. Heck, some people even complain that leaving the exhaust system stock and only throwing on an aftermarket muffler is too loud. I could not imagine an application with not even a muffler!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
I have been wondering about trying these right off the cats from the exhaust manifolds and pipe it out from there.

3 Disk Flanged Inserts : 2 1/2" Diameter

Last edited by KRAM36; 07-28-2013 at 09:19 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #6

Sure do it, just budget for the early hearing aid. Ears are only good for so many vibrations.

Your opinion may vary.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #7

Garage
Thank you everyone! You just saved me $400 and possible hearing loss.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #8

Garage
Not only would it likely be too loud, it probably wouldn't sound that good to you either. Believe it or not, the mufflers or resonators are what "tailor" the sound. Most of the boxsters that I've heard running just straight pipes, sounded like an outboard motor gone awry.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Not only would it likely be too loud, it probably wouldn't sound that good to you either. Believe it or not, the mufflers or resonators are what "tailor" the sound. Most of the boxsters that I've heard running just straight pipes, sounded like an outboard motor gone awry.
This. I can't stress this enough.

Hearing things on your computer speaker and hearing things in real life are two completely different things.

I know obnoxiously loud is attractive to the younger crowd like myself, but straight pipes isn't a good loud. It'll sound like your car is broken loud.

... take it from someone who's done it -_-
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
On the street, at WOT, I may as well have been dialing 911 myself.
Exactly! My track friends who drive their straight pipe race cars on the street use the throttle sparingly and short shift at 2,500 rpms. Otherwise, you might as well just write yourself a stack of tickets because you will attract every cop in Simi Valley (and a few from neighboring cities).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #11

I have tried running my car with the muffler disconnected. It's louder than hell and sounds like crap. With my aftermarket straight through muffler, it's just the right loudness and sounds great

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I have been wondering about trying these right off the cats from the exhaust manifolds and pipe it out from there.

3 Disk Flanged Inserts : 2 1/2" Diameter

The Boxster's exhaust piping is an oddball size so you can't actually fit any stock size CC inserts in there. I think it's somewhere between 1.75" and 2". I tried 2" CC inserts and they wouldn't fit.
Dr.Strangepork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #12

Without the cats you will not have a ca street car as it will not pass emmissions.

2nd cats may be removable perhaps.

I just put on a Top Speed cat back system so i'll report results with all cats still in place .

So far i noticed it has a lower throaty idle, but the system needs a break in period.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #13

Garage
I'm so glad I found this forum! You guys just saved me from making a horrible mistake. I definitely dont need the Simi PD on my tail!! Hahaha Gonna order some brake lights and side markers instead.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #14

Don't do it.
dixbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #15

I wish I could have saved that Harley idiot that lives down my street from making the same mistake.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Strangepork View Post
I have tried running my car with the muffler disconnected. It's louder than hell and sounds like crap. With my aftermarket straight through muffler, it's just the right loudness and sounds great

The Boxster's exhaust piping is an oddball size so you can't actually fit any stock size CC inserts in there. I think it's somewhere between 1.75" and 2". I tried 2" CC inserts and they wouldn't fit.
I just installed these in my car...now if I could just get it to start I'd tell you how it sounds.

By the way I was basically running straight pipes, headers, no cats, eBay glass pack and it was way way too loud. And I like loud cars but this was to much. It was great for idling and drivin slow by to couldn't step on it with out feeling like a total dick

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust , straight pipes