Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Tiptronic P0733

First thread! 2000s 142,000 miles, fluid flush done according to zf manual about 5 months ago, rotor and pads 4 months ago, dead battery replaced with new battery 2 months ago, immobilizer issue 1 month ago, durametric 2 days ago confirming a P0733 code after phenomenal slipping into 3rd gear. Has anyone experienced this and have a way ahead they can point me? Fluid used was Pentosin ATF-1. Any help would be appreciated!

Okanebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanebm View Post
First thread! 2000s 142,000 miles, fluid flush done according to zf manual about 5 months ago, rotor and pads 4 months ago, dead battery replaced with new battery 2 months ago, immobilizer issue 1 month ago, durametric 2 days ago confirming a P0733 code after phenomenal slipping into 3rd gear. Has anyone experienced this and have a way ahead they can point me? Fluid used was Pentosin ATF-1. Any help would be appreciated!
P0733 is basically telling you what you already know: It is slipping in 3rd gear.

You need to be very careful about which type and brand fluid you use in these transmissions, they really do not take kindly to the wrong fluid, which can permanently damage them:

If you cannot find the correct fluid in the aftermarket, go to the dealer and buy it from them; in the long term, your wallet will thank you.......

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-04-2013 at 08:57 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

Pentosin ATF-1 should be fine. If you purchase the fluid in 20 liter container from Porsche dealer, the label has Porsche part number and in large letters: Pentosin ATF 1
Autobahn Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanebm View Post
The Pentosin ATF-1 is the fluid that most ZF 5-speed autos use and is the same fluid that I use in my ZF auto five-speed Audis; I usually get it from auto haus az, as shipping is included on orders over $50.

For clarity sake, when you said that you performed a fluid flush according to the ZF manual, I'm assuming that you drained the fluid, dropped the pan, replaced the filter, reinstalled the pan, and refilled according the the manual. Sometimes, the filter replacement is overlooked and I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a fresh filter along with the appropriate new fluid.

Slipping is usually caused by either excessive clutch pack clearances (wear or improper clearances during a rebuild) or a lack of sufficient hydraulic pressure.
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #5

Thank you all for the replies. Spent a long time cross-referencing part numbers, posts, lists, etc., before buying the Pentosin ATF+1. I did replace the filter when I did the flush according to the manual. My next step in the trouble-shooting process is to drain, drop pan, check cable and connections, check solenoids, and then... pull valve body for more troubleshooting. If nothing found, I will be dropping the tranny and then the debate will begin for buying a used unit, undertake rebuild, or buy rebuilt. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of getting my Detachment certified( US Navy ), and I still have to turn a portion of my garage into a NASA clean room before I remove the valve body. Hopefully, i'll find the smoking gun, before i get to that point.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #6

Keep us updated on what you find. Mine went around 50k. Changed out entire valve body after fluid and filter change(s) didn't work. Ended up swapping out entire trans when valve body didn't work.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
Keep us updated on what you find. Mine went around 50k. Changed out entire valve body after fluid and filter change(s) didn't work. Ended up swapping out entire trans when valve body didn't work.
Damn, I wish I had a better screen name...tightbox has got to be the best one here!
01SBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #8

Thanks...at least someone finally got it!
Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #9

Update!

Well, I was supposed to post in glaring detail, my great valve body rebuild. So there i was, Virginia on jacks, valve body removed. Gave it an entire afternoon and had the valve body back together again. Put it back in, filled with ATF-1, and had some slight slip in 3rd gear. However, no limp mode this time and no codes thrown. Back in the air for another flush and fill.... Wait for it... No reverse. As a matter of fact, it wants to lurch forward even in park! Basically, it's in drive in all gears, even neutral! But no codes! Any ideas? Desperate, but still on hot standby to buy a transmission if need be...
Old 06-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #10

Tightbox, sweet screen name. Where did you get your transmission from? Did it include a torque converter?
Old 06-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #11

Update!

Pouring over some notes I made while doing the rebuild and the optest. On third top-off of ATF, when engaging all the gears in manual mode.....

1. brief light off of ABS light.
2. shifted out of manual by itself.
3. ABS light out.
4. Manual mode will not re-engage.
5. Shutdown
6. Re-start

After that I continued with the top off with no further issues again, test-drive, semi-sat, parked, always in drive issue started.

I'll be right back.

Okay! ABS light is on, starts in park, no reverse, and wants to go fwd in park, reverse, neutral, and drive..... Multi-function switch? Transmission Computer? ABS sensor? I'll continue to ponder with a scotch, no condition right now to be behind the wheel.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #12

My guess is multi function switch .
I can send you the porsche tech notes for testing everything else on the tiptronic .
You'll need a multimeter with volts , continuity , miliamps and ohms .

Don't buy a multi switch until you have pm'd me about new prices ....
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #13

Garage
The range switch is telling TCM that trans is in Park, because DME is allowing it to start. I have never seen these switches fail to where it reports PARK and some forward gear at once. If it did fail this way, Tip module would limp home/fail safe it and flag codes.

Did you separate the plates of the valve body, or just ohm the solenoids and put it back together?

Skoot
Skootnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #14

That is why I guessed at the switch ...
If its telling the car it's in park it will start but its really in gear .

I don't know how this would work with the car on the ground but it could work like this lifted ?
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #15

Update!

Tested Solenoids in place. Disassembled valve body in its entirety, seperated plate while immersed in ATF-1 bath. Virginia will be back on jacks sometime this afternoon and depending on how the boys' jiu jitsu practice goes, I might be able to start some troubleshooting.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #16

Update...

Before Virginia went up on jacks, some interesting issues...
1. In park, wants to go fwd but will only get up to 2000 rpms.
2. In neutral, stays in one fwd gear(2nd I presume) to redline.
3. In reverse, stays in one fwd gear(2nd I presume) to redline.
4. In drive, goes thru all the gears with a lot of slip.
5. Flashing D and 4. On the 3rd run.

Up on jacks, was about to commence troubleshooting and then the sky decided to open up. Try again tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #17

One thing you might consider/look at would be one of the clutch packs, forward clutch for example, locks up from too much damage from slipping. I've seen this on numerous transmissions. Which a locked clutch you can have a drive problem in any gear.
3.2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #18

Update

I've been going over in my head, everything I could possibly do in order to fix this. From continuing with the troubleshooting(as soon as the rain lets up) that IanC sent me, to getting another transmission. Getting another transmission was actually starting to sound good last night as I would drop the engine and the tranny and get a chance to clean everything under there. Interesting thing, is the wife mentioned selling, and not to take too long to find another date car. Theres a speed yellow 3.2S in Richmond, but I'm not so sure I want to have Johnny Danger and a few of his farmboys from VA show up in broad daylight.