Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #1

Peel out?

i have a 1999 tiptronic box and it doesnt peel out. I put it in 1st gear and stomp on the pedal and it just goes kind of slow untill the car gets to 3000+ rpm then it starts to move? should it be like this or should it burn a little tire? What kind of cars have you all raced and beat with the tiptronic box not the S.

porscheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:05 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I would try to put it in nuetral,rev then engine,and drop into first around 4.5k rpm. Iam not too sure with a tiptronic though.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:13 AM   #3

wouldnt that mess up the tranny or drive shaft? I mean if i wanna risk causing damage ill just power brake the car, but thats not what im going for.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #4

you should be able to smoke the tyres by stomping on the throttle, more difficult with the smaller engined cars of course, but still possible
UKBXSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBXSTR
you should be able to smoke the tyres by stomping on the throttle, more difficult with the smaller engined cars of course, but still possible
possible with the auto tiptronic?
Old 12-17-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
bmussatti

Not good for the tires! But good for the soul!
Old 12-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #7

Boxster's are not burnout friendly and definately not Tip boxsters with 2.5L engines. The boxster has a bad tendency to "wheel hop" or others call it axle tramp. If I slip the clutch and use the gas aliittle to aggressively the back end will bounce like no other. This isn't good for the car and should be avoided. However, when I am just cruising about 15-20mph and just step on it hard the back tires lose traction and step out a bit which is a cool feeling. The car can also do donuts well. I just keep it in first and turn the wheel a bit(open parking lot recammended) and give it alot of gas. A lot of tire smoking fun then begins! Of couse, this is much easier to do with a manual and alittle more power. have fun.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:58 PM   #8

With a tip, you can put the car in drive, put your foot on the brake pedal and run the engine up to say 2500 RPMs.

Then let off the brake and hammer the gas.

That MIGHT get a peel.

The real question is, why?

If you want to peel rubber, get an older 5.0 ltr mustang and whale the hell out of it.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:59 PM   #9
creseida

The whole idea is not to break traction. That is why we have suspensions to keep our tires in contact with the pavement and grippy tires to give us...well...grip. So that when you step on the gas your cars moves out instead of sitting still spinning its wheels (while the other car leaves you in its dust).

I'd rather my car MOVE when I step on the gas.

But that's just me.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:19 AM   #10
olly986

porscheguy, i had a 97 tip 2.5L and even if i never smoked rubbers (i never really tried) in first gear the car would go faster than what you are describing. it would usually scream and change gear itself to protect the tip, something that it does in 2nd and 3rd gear actually and i guess 4th too!
the automatic position of a tip start in second usually because the torque is too high in 1st, could you have some kind of problem with your gear changes, in which case i would not mess around trying to peel off as you say and find my gearbox on the ground or through my boot!
find someone with a similar tip car or get it check by someone that knows about tiptronic.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #11

You have two options:

1) The always exciting NUETRAL-Drop. I did it in my 92 Toyota 4cyl Auto back in the day a few times and work surprisingly well.

The Nuetral drop consists of putting the car in Nuetral, reving to 4 grand or so then slamming into D (I do not suggest putting your tranny through this horrible act)

2) POWER-BRAKE: Slam on the brake and hold it down while pressing on the gas to 4500 RPM then let your brake off.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #12
olly986

sorry KRZ or is it taco? but as mentioned earlier i do not think this is possible, the tip will disengage and up a gear with the rev, this is one of the reason i change to a manual S, the tip was atrocious on track day, not letting you change gear when you wanted or changing gear when not looking for and this is in manual position!!
sheers
Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #13

Porsche needs to get rid of the Automatic Transmission on everyhting and replace it with the Sequential Manual Gearbox similar to BMW's SMG tranny for the M3.

Auto's on the track are pointless, at least with the SMG you get the fun and performance of a manual, AND have the ease of use of the Auto.

Will Porsche ever come around on this one?

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:42 PM   #14

Ref: "Will Porsche ever come around on this one?"

Doubt it. Something like 30% of their sales are Tippers.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:04 PM   #15

I think Porsche is smart enough to figure out that the tip is a really handicap for their cars. If they can't engineer a better Auto, they should outsource the job. They already use a Japanese manual trans.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:07 PM   #16
olly986

don't forget not all porsche owners are keen racers, the tip is really nice and easy to drive on ordinary or sineous roads and quite responsive too, i enjoy my tip a lot but when it came to track days i hated it!
the posers owning porsches will love the tip for what it is. on the 911 (993) the tip is also on gear stick, on boxster it is only on steering wheel which makes it very hard to change gears when your wheel is upside down in the middle of a sharp turn.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:20 PM   #17

BTW- What is a poser anyway?

Old 12-20-2005, 04:37 PM   #18
olly986

owner of a porsche boxster using it only on special occasion (like Sunday for exemple or when weather is good driving slow on busy road) have a good bit of money, doesn't need to work too hard, or have dad paying the bill!
i am sure no one fits this profile on this forum!! ( I hope!!)
Old 12-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
Ref: "Will Porsche ever come around on this one?"

Doubt it. Something like 30% of their sales are Tippers.
Hi,

Err... make that 50%. I own a '99 Tip S and it's great.
The Tip S in the Boxster is a great match. It isn't a Performance Car in the strictest sense, it's way more of a civilized, nimble, cruiser - an upscale Miata (anyone saying anything else is just kidding themselves). As such, the TipS is great.

Remember, it may be an Auto, but it's a Porsche Auto. If I feel like rowing, I just hop into my Lotus Esprit or Datsun 240Z. If I didn't have those other toys, I'd definitely want the Manual, but as it is, the Tip S works well for what I need...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:20 AM   #20

I think the point here is that the Tip is a dated design and that there are simply other manumatics that are much better for performance driving.

I like driving the tip from time to time. However, I currently have a 911 Turbo with tip and man, it sucks the life right out of the car.

IMHO!