Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Newb

RoW M030 Kit

Does anyone know exactly which shocks are included in the RoW M030 kit from Suncoast?

Talking with an indy Porsche shop yesterday, he suggested Bilstein Heavy Duty rather than Sport model because I wanted a quality shock with higher performance than stock but soft enough for New England roads. He also suggested the RoW springs because they will lower the car slightly and provide a notch up in performance but still soft enough for New England roads.

I was under the understanding that the RoW M030 kit included Bilstein shocks. The associate at Suncoast told me they were Porsche parts with Porsche factory part #'s.

My other question that I have been unable to get an answer for is what other parts should I absolutely get to do the RoW kit install right?

2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Newb

So the shocks in an RoW M030 kit are indeed Bilstein shocks. Ria at Pelican sent me a link to the Boxster parts catalog where it clearly list the shocks as Bilstein. Well that makes the RoW kit an outstanding value in my book, so I ordered one and should have it in a few days.

I wish I knew the other parts that are a "must do" at this point.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #3

I ve recently read ( Here, on a suspension thread ) that one should definitely replace the wheel bearings whenever the struts are out because both jobs require a similar amount of disassembly: wheel bearing carrier in hand!
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I ve recently read ( Here, on a suspension thread ) that one should definitely replace the wheel bearings whenever the struts are out because both jobs require a similar amount of disassembly: wheel bearing carrier in hand!
Check! I agree and they are being done at the same time.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #5

But wait!

last night I read in the Bentley manual that you can install new wheel bearings WITHOUT removing the carrier, using the right tools of course which means both jobs don t have to be done concurrently. Hmmmn.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Newb

Well the latest on the work that started with upgrading the stock suspension to the row m030 has now included left front wheel carrier with front wheel bearings, rear toe arms, front motor mount, LN imsb, rms, oem clutch kit, all fluids and filters. And that was a week after mounting 4 new hankook v12's. Now I gotta do the speakers and I will call it quits on the upgrades and maintenance this season..............yeah right!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #7

FYI there is no difference in valuing between the bilstein sport & hd. The sports have shorter pistons for lower springs. The m030 are made by bilstein for Porsche & are roughly the same valving as the hd/sport.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
Homeboy981

Garage
V-Rod,

You getting a year's worth of repairs done at once?

I understand about the suspension and bearings. They are together but then you migrated to the IMS, RMS, etc. seems far from the corners of the car.

Did you get it in the air and just decide to do it all?

BTW, if you have not already, get an exhaust system….you will not have to do the speakers for a while after that!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
V-Rod,

You getting a year's worth of repairs done at once?

I understand about the suspension and bearings. They are together but then you migrated to the IMS, RMS, etc. seems far from the corners of the car.

Did you get it in the air and just decide to do it all?

BTW, if you have not already, get an exhaust system….you will not have to do the speakers for a while after that!
Homeboy,

That is exactly what happened. Oh forgot to include the brand new battery a few days before heading into the shop. Yeah, when I had the new tires mounted, I also wanted to do an alignment after, but then thought why do an alignment before I consider the suspension, so did the suspension while the row m030 was still a deal. That lead to wheel bearings and then to IMS bearing, which led me to a new clutch kit and RMS. One of the toe arms was a bit worn so a pair of those were in order which prompted the inspection of the motor mount. Well while the vehicle was getting so much attention it only seemed prudent to change all fluids and filters. Yeah, I started out with what I thought was a 2k - 3k seasonal maintenance and it turned into a one time introductory initiation which should keep me on a reasonable annual maintenance plan for the next few years.

As for the exhaust, well right now I like the sound. Both of my bikes (I sold my Harley-Davidson/Porsche 2005 Screaming Eagle CVO V-Rod) have custom exhausts and air intakes with DynoJet Power Commanders. They have spent a few runs each on the dyno being tuned to the perfect power and torque curves. Last year I had my Road Kings engine rebuilt and it is now a different animal.

I do not like affecting the exhaust with out modifying the air intake. And I do not like messing with both of these unless I am also addressing the air fuel mixing. I have not researched enough or heard of a chip or EFI re-programer that can tweak this. Most here have stated that you can only get a little more out of a base 2.5 after spending a lot of $$.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Newb

Well I picked up my car tonight and got to see how the RoW suspension kit felt and I can tell you that it is stiffer than the stock struts and springs. Over all the car felt really smooth. The new clutch kit felt great and the whole vehicle felt dead straight. I had the top up and it was a bit cooler so with the top it is a noisier ride. But overall I am very happy and no longer worried about IMS. I did seem to notice that 2200rpm slight vibration but nothing dramatic its just there if I look for it. I am going to do a ride of a few hundred miles tomorrow and Friday to get the real feel of it.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #11

Vrod, you want to take my car under your wing for "seasonal repairs?" lol
smart move to just knock it all out while they had it in the air... now go vroom vroom!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rod View Post
Well I picked up my car tonight and got to see how the RoW suspension kit felt and I can tell you that it is stiffer than the stock struts and springs. Over all the car felt really smooth. The new clutch kit felt great and the whole vehicle felt dead straight. I had the top up and it was a bit cooler so with the top it is a noisier ride. But overall I am very happy and no longer worried about IMS. I did seem to notice that 2200rpm slight vibration but nothing dramatic its just there if I look for it. I am going to do a ride of a few hundred miles tomorrow and Friday to get the real feel of it.
Congrats!I've always thought that the M030 kit should have been the base suspension. Its a great balance of performance and ride comfort. Let us know how you like it after a couple of weeks.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
Newb

Well l am about 600 miles into my two day road trip took rt 84 from MA Through CT and then 684 to Saw mill park way. The 287 west to palisades parkway for a short bit and onto 9 south. The Row M 030 is AWESOME . And all the other work made for a very nice ride. I am in Aberdeen , MD having the BEST crabcake on the east coast. I will be back in MA late tonight . About 800 miles total .

I do have a few creaks and rattles to track down and after hitting a couple of good bumps, my windows would auto down . I also wish I could improve the engine cooling . gets a bit high in stop and go in DC.

Had the roof down yesterday but my forehead is a bit red today . Guess I gotta got a baseball cap . my preference VS my Straw Cowboy hat . Not sure that would work though.

Last edited by V-Rod; 04-26-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rod View Post
Well l am about 600 miles into my two day road trip took rt 84 from MA Through CT and then 684 to Saw mill park way. The 287 west to palisades parkway for a short bit and onto 9 south. The Row M 030 is AWESOME . And all the other work made for a very nice ride. I am in Aberdeen , MD having the BEST crabcake on the east coast. I will be back in MA late tonight . About 800 miles total .

I do have a few creaks and rattles to track down and after hitting a couple of good bumps, my windows would auto down . I also wish I could improve the engine cooling . gets a bit high in stop and go in DC.

Had the roof down yesterday but my forehead is a bit red today . Guess I gotta got a baseball cap . my preference VS my Straw Cowboy hat . Not sure that would work though.
I assume that everything went well with EPE ?