Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #21
bmussatti

gharari, did you use this grease:

The special grease is an NR Optimoly CV joint grease. This grease has been fairly standard for all of the German manufacturers for many years now. The porsche part number is 000 043 110 01.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #22

not sure. I used the grease that came with the cv joint kit. The kit came with a new snap ring, boot, package of grease, and two boot clips.

I actually had a mechanic rebuild the axles. I tried to get the cv joint apart, but it was pretty stubborn and I was not sure I was doing it right. Also, I didn't have the special crimping tool needed for the boot clips. So I brought the axels down to my mechanic and It cost me $85 to have this done. I then brought the rebuilt axels home and installed them.

The mechanic did a better job at cleaning the CV joints than I could have done. He had a parts washer bin, etc. to do the job right.
gharari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #23

Tell me more, I'm in trouble!

I had my tires road force balanced last week, and while it was up on the lift I took a look around. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I spotted a torn inner CV boot. The local independant Porsche shop ordered a boot kit, and I took it in today.

They called me this afternoon to tell me that the other inner boot also had a split in it, and they suggested doing all four while we are in there. Now here's the kicker... they want 10 hours labor to do the job!

I agree with doing all four, but 10 hours? They are basing this on talking to another garage that just did one, and they said that it was a real PITA. Reading this thread makes me wonder about that... maybe they are padding their estimate just in case? They said they had never done one on a Boxster, just plenty on 911s.

At this point I'm looking around for the required 3/4" breaker bar and torque wrench. I'm pretty sure I'll just do this job myself. My shop is still under construction, but it is dried in and I could do it without the lift that's planned in a couple of months.

Is there any other updates to this thread, or does anyone have any other info that could help?

Does that new repair manual cover removing the rear axles and replacing the CV boots?

Thanks!
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharari
I actually had a mechanic rebuild the axles. I tried to get the cv joint apart, but it was pretty stubborn and I was not sure I was doing it right. Also, I didn't have the special crimping tool needed for the boot clips. So I brought the axels down to my mechanic and It cost me $85 to have this done. I then brought the rebuilt axels home and installed them.
(late to the party, sorry)

You did the right thing. Nothing worse than cleaning out a CV joint and putting it back together. On Eclipses we always just buy a new axle rather than deal with it because it ends up only being like $50 more than replacing the CV joint. Of course, that's not Porsche Prices.

$85 for that sort of job, money well spent!

JackG, 10 hours sounds excessive. Shouldn't they be taking figures from a standard labor sheet rather than guessing about it??
Old 01-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #25

10 hours is a ridiculous estimate. It took me less time, and I didn't even know how to spell CV before I attempted it.

It is obvious that the mechanic who gave you an estimate has limited experience working with Porsches (or at least the Boxster) and I would not feel confident in that person working on the car.

For an experienced mechanic, this job should take about 2-3 hours per axle, MAX!

I received 3 estimates from reputable shops in lace>Phoenixlace> for around $400-$500 for the job including parts. For me, doing it myself saved me about $200-300. It also gave me the confidence to do more work on it and save more money in the future. Plus, it's fun for me. So, it's your call whether you want to do it yourself.

How much experience do you have working on cars? I have done a few projects here and there, but this was actually the most major thing I've done. Maybe that and the strut and spring replacements I have done on my Impreza.

I can help you out if you feel comfortable doing it yourself. I can provide some diagrams, pictures, and instructions. You can even call me if you run into problems. I was planning on posting some instructions and stuff here anyway, so it would not be a big deal for me to do that.

Below are some initial recommendations if you plan to do it yourself. Let me know what you decide.

1) order the parts from pelicanparts.com or some other site. You should be able to get a cv joint kit for around $25 online rather than $45 local. All 4 CV boot kits are the same part.

2) Unless you have a parts washer bin and like to get dirty, do what I did and have your mechanic clean the axles and install the CV boots. Try to watch them do it, ensuring that they clean the joints up real well. My mechanic used a parts washer tub and a system that dispensed recycled and filtered solvent.

3) Remove the skid plate which is the big piece of sheet metal that covers the bottom of the car. Removing it will make this a MUCH easier job. I didn't do this because I didn't know how, but it seems like from this thread and my newly acquired shop manuals, I could help with figuring that out.

4) Before starting the job,

4) get the proper tools in advance. You will need:
-a high powered air impact wrench (optional, but very highly recommended)
-a torque wrench
-a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar, the bigger the better.
-assorted metric sockets, including a big thirty something mm one for the axle nut, preferably impact socket for strength
- assorted extensions
-ratchet and possibly 12/-3/8 (and vice versa) adapters depending on your socket and extension selection
-assorted box end and open wrenches
-2 decent jacks
-4 jack stands
-safety goggles
-latex or similar gloves (optional)
-WD-40 or other penetrant oil
- a special tool called an axle puller. Available from AutoZone, checker, etc. for loan. Make sure that it will fit your lug pattern before you start the job. I had to "rent" a different plate/flange to fit the bigger hub of the boxster. This tool bolts to your hub using the lug bolts, and using a large threaded flange and bolt, pushes the axle towards the inside of the car so you can get it out. The auto zone parts are at the below links. Make sure you find one that is not already stripped:

http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/pullers_specialized/flange_axle_fwd.htm

http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/pullers_universal/slide_hammer_flange.htm

I think that's all the tools you'll need, but be prepared to make runs to your local tool outlet if you don't already have it.

Last edited by gharari; 01-03-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:55 AM   #26

Thumbs up Thanks for the reply...

I'm definitely doing it myself. I have nearly all the required tools, and am pretty good mechanically. Like my previous post said, I'm building a workshop so I can do just this kind of thing, it's just not complete yet.

I'll be gathering all the parts, tools, and info over the next couple of weeks, and then diving into it. I'll be ordering that new repair manual from Amazon this morning... even if it doesn't cover this exact repair, it can't hurt to have it.

Thanks in advance for any additional info or advice you guys can offer. As I get further into it, I'll probably post some specific questions that come up. I'll also take some pictures and write up my repair story to add to the knowledge base here. This forum is great!

Thanks again,

Jack
Old 01-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #27
bmussatti

Quote:
10 hours is a ridiculous estimate. It took me less time, and I didn't even know how to spell CV before I attempted it.

Hey gharari, if you look through your old thread, you started the job on Dec. 1st at 1:00 PM and finished the job on Dec 3rd at 4:00 PM. Give-or-take.

You did a great job, and did a lot of learning along the way. But, it did not take you less than 10 hours.

Don't forget, your time is worth a lot too.

If you did this again, you can probably do it in less than 10 hours for sure!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #28

By golly, you're right! Now that you've supplied your dates and times, I realize that it actually took me 51 hours. Thank you for correcting me. :sarcastic-smartass:
Old 01-09-2006, 07:45 PM   #29

by the way, the :sarcastic-smartass: was describing myself, not anyone else. The job actually did take me about 8 hours of real car work. The rest of the time I was driving to get tools, or other things. Had I been more prepared that time could have been saved. It literally took me 1.5 hours to reinstall the axles once I brought them home from the mechanic. It took me a good 4 hours to remove the first axle due to inexperience, and another 1.5 hours to remove the second axle.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #30
bmussatti

gharari, like I said before, you did a great job! And the next time, you can do it much faster. Regards.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #31

JackG,

How's it going?
Old 01-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #32

Quote:
JackG,

How's it going?
I'm modifying 4 jackstands so they can plug into the jack points. They will be welded up this afternoon. I had to order the 3/4 inch drive 32mm deep well socket for the axle bolt, and it will be here Thurs/Fri. I'm going tonight to buy a parts washer so I can clean the CV joints myself.

I plan to start Friday night or Saturday morning. I'll be back on the road next week.

Jack