Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 08:57 PM   #21

Unhappy 2003 Boxster RMS and others

Hey, I've got you all beat. I have a 2003 Boxster S. At 18,926 miles I had the oil filler tube hose replaced, the rear main seal and the intermediate shaft seal. That didn't stop the oil leaks. Now at 20,000, it's been in the shop a week to have all the seals around the spark plugs replaced. I've got a 330i BMW with 50,000 that hasn't leaked a drop of anything. I only have around 18 months left on the Boxster warranty so I guess I better start saving seal replacement. It's disappointing to hear that I have to replace it about every other tire change. I'd get rid of it if it wasn't a gift. Never look a RMS in the mouth, you know...

Crashcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #22

Dklumb - I Read On Another Forum That The Epoxy Fix Is Very Effective In Preventing Re-occurrence. Also, The Cayenne Rms Is Being Used Because It Is Harder And Not As Pliable As The 986/987 Seals And It Seems To Be Holding Up Well.

Let Us Know What They Tell You About Their Experience With This Repair. Good Luck.
wild1poet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #23

Smile

I got my Boxster back this weekend from the RMS repair. It was performed by an aftermarket shop. They said that my case bore was not off by much. They did use the epoxy and said that they have had good luck with this fix. The charge was $675.00. Not too bad considering the work involved. They said that the crankcase bolts had already been replaced with the new style and that the intermediate shaft cover was dry so they left it alone. Hopefully this one lasts for more than 20,000 miles.
dklumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:48 AM   #24

Hey DKLUMB that sounds good. Good price especially if the fix lasts and good news on the case bore.
wild1poet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:07 AM   #25
KronixSpeed

Angry 2nd Rms Leak, Car Not Even Driven 40 Miles.

The Car Was Just In For A Last Warranty Check Up. In October For An Rms Leak Under Warranty. Yesterday I Took The Car Out Of The Garage To Start It Up, And Roll The Tires. I Found A Nice 1inch By 1inch Oil Leak Below The Car On The Ground. From The Last Oil Leak To Now, The Car Only Has 40clicks On It. Such A Sad Day. The Warranty Obviosly Is Up. The Car Is A 2002, With 18645miles. ****************ty Day
Old 01-23-2006, 06:30 AM   #26

Sounds like you have to talk to the dealer who did the warranty work. The RMS shouldn't go in 40 miles. There could be a bright side to this. Maybe it ain't your RMS that's leakin.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:56 AM   #27
KronixSpeed

Angry 2nd Rms Leak, Car Not Even Driven 40 Miles.

Well i spoke to the service advisor right now, and in april i will take the car back to
get it looked at again. thats exactly what the advisor said, hopefully it isn't the rear main seal leak, and it's leaking from somewhere else. even the thought of it leaking from somewhere else makes me really mad. atleast if i had driven it and it
began to leak, i would take the fault. but dealership to my house and stored for the past 4 months and a leak. i did get the new updated seal, when they did the work under warranty, so they should / will cover the repair is what the advisor says.

i think i should take the car out of storage and start driving the car all year around. get some winter tires or all seasons. makes no sense to keep this car in storage, when it has such a huge problem, that will depreciate the car anyways. having the transmission opened for the second time. this is not what i expected in a $75,000 car bought new. i should start to treat the car like a honda, n run it into the ground. its really worth nothing, if every summer i have to put a new rear main seal for what $600 to $900. i think next year i will jump on the boat n drive a civic. oil will leak, but i can't imagine it leaking with 18,000 miles. my last homda prelude drove till 260,000km, one leak in the 15 years i drove the car. i'm on two leaks in 5 months.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:24 AM   #28

Don't you guys have lemon laws that can help. If it was fixed one would reasonably expect it to last for X amount of time. its a car and its meant to work without constant repair! If it keeps stuffing up, under the lemon law they need to replace the block if thats the problem.

Complain!
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 AM   #29

Most lemon laws would not apply to an intermittant RMS issue here.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 AM   #30

Sorry to hear that.

But you really should drive the car. Use and enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
Well i spoke to the service advisor right now, and in april i will take the car back to
get it looked at again. thats exactly what the advisor said, hopefully it isn't the rear main seal leak, and it's leaking from somewhere else. even the thought of it leaking from somewhere else makes me really mad. atleast if i had driven it and it
began to leak, i would take the fault. but dealership to my house and stored for the past 4 months and a leak. i did get the new updated seal, when they did the work under warranty, so they should / will cover the repair is what the advisor says.

i think i should take the car out of storage and start driving the car all year around. get some winter tires or all seasons. makes no sense to keep this car in storage, when it has such a huge problem, that will depreciate the car anyways. having the transmission opened for the second time. this is not what i expected in a $75,000 car bought new. i should start to treat the car like a honda, n run it into the ground. its really worth nothing, if every summer i have to put a new rear main seal for what $600 to $900. i think next year i will jump on the boat n drive a civic. oil will leak, but i can't imagine it leaking with 18,000 miles. my last homda prelude drove till 260,000km, one leak in the 15 years i drove the car. i'm on two leaks in 5 months.
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #31

It would seem to me based on the conditions that cause the failure that cars that had the failure once would obviously be prone to future failures.. Also, one would think that if you've got an engine where the tolerances are iffy, you're going to have the problem sooner rather than later. If you're considering a used Boxster with more than, say, 35k on the clock and it's warranty history doesn't show an RMS repair you'd think you would not be prone to RMS failure.

*disclaimer - I am not a mechanic and I know the RMS may fail at any mileage*
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #32

Garage
A thought on the RMS--how about if we do our own poll?

Loren's survey is taking longer than expected so I wondered if we--collectively--could put together our own poll of RMS/engine failure experience in a context similar to the New/used poll?
Keeping if simple from the onset, I 'm thinking

--Have you experienced an RMS leak? (yes/no)
--Have you experienced mutiple RMS leaks? (yes/no)
--Have you experienced an engine failure? (yes/no)

The particulars (mileage, which model, transmission,driving/break-in habits,etc...) could be covered in the individual message for mine for data at a later date.

I don't think our little group would pass the sniff test for a statistically viable sample of all Boxster owners in the US but it would be more useful than anecdotal comments that we've all read.

What do you think?

if it makes sense,I'll start it off:

No
No
No

'99', 5 spd, 39K, followed break in suggestions and maintenance schedule, 6 auto-x +1 DE per year.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #33

new thread for poll

Hey Mike, good idea for informal poll. You should probably start it on a separate thread so everyone can find it.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:02 PM   #34

Garage
How do you set up the poll mechanism--moderators?

Help..........
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #35

makes sense!

no
no
no

04S, 6 spd, 10K. Followed all recommendations and maintenance schedules.

bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
Help..........

Click on the "new thread" button and scroll down near the bottom.

It is right there!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote