Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 12:19 PM   #1

Paint Chip Repair

Anyone used the AutoSharp paint pen?

Old 01-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #2

I havent heard many good things about these products.
I would recommend finding your local bodyshop/collision center and seeing
if they will mix you some touch up paint for your car. It is quite easy to get the paint code and make the exact color for your vehicle.

This is usually a better alternative than a touch up pen.

Hope that helps!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #3

The best way to do it is to get the touchup paint from Porsche and go to your local hobby shop and get a size ZERO brush to pally the paint on. The brush that comes with the touchup paint isn't all that good, its too big and can causes clumps. Using a size 0 brush will allow you to evenly apply the paint.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #4

The autosharp pen works very well - make sure that you order an extra tip - follow the directions carefully and it comes out great. The trick is to wait several hours between applications - if you over fill the chip Meguiars Scratch X works real well to blend the repair. It's easy and comes out nice.
tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #5

Here's a fantastic product for almost invisible chip repairs. http://www.langka.com/

Here's a page from one of the 928 fellows who used this stuff with before, during and after pics http://www.billsworkshop.com/P928S4/langka.htm

Comments from another guy who used it here http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=246268&referrerid=276

I'm picking up the kit to use it with the Porsche touch up paint. I can't wait to see the results.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top

Last edited by deliriousga; 01-24-2006 at 07:11 AM.
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #6

I have used the Autosharp, and found it much better than normal touch up paint and a tiny brush.
Color matched perfectly.
Don't know if it's as good on metallics, however.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Here's a fantastic product for almost invisible chip repairs. http://www.langka.com/

Here's a page from one of the 928 fellows who used this stuff with before, during and after pics http://www.billsworkshop.com/P928S4/langka.htm

Comments from another guy who used it here http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=246268&referrerid=276

I'm picking up the kit to use it with the Porsche touch up paint. I can't wait to see the results.
John,

I have used the Langka System on my Guards Red Boxster. I was frankly underwhelmed with the results and reverted back to the Tried and True method of multiple applications of Touch-Up paint with a Toothpick to fill the chip and then a light Wet Sanding using some 1200 Grit Paper pasted onto a Pencil Eraser followed by some polish to remove the Proud surface. This is really the only way to get a seamless, invisible repair.

With the Langka, the difficulty is getting to the repair at a specific point in the Curing Process, which varies considerably with Temp and Humidity. Wait too long, and you'll never remove the excess without some Wet Sanding. Begin too soon and you rub all the paint out of the Chip. It's just not all that fool-proof. And, I'm not certain it likes the Lacquer Paint which Porsche uses (I used Genuine Porsche Touch-Up), the paint seemed somewhat immune to it.

Go ahead if you wish, maybe there is a chemical difference between Your and My paint colors. I hope you have a better time of it than I did...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #8

There is actually a method to filling in chips that doesn't include a respray.
1-Basically after cleaning the chip with thinner and degreaser
2- take a piece of 600 grit sandpaper and using a loose leaf hole punch you cut out a small piece and glue said piece to the top of a pencil eraser.
3-Sand inside the chip to remove the jagged edges by turning the pencil against the surface.
4-I recommend calling Tower Paint giving them your vin# and they will send you a color matched can of your Boxster's paint.
5-dip a tooth pick into the fresh paint and fill the chip.
6-Once it cures follow up with a clear coat and allow to cure as well.
7- Proceed with an 1000 grit sand paper (after taping around the chip) and smooth down the new paint, similar to removing overspray.
8-Follow up with a rubbing compound to remove the marring from the sandpaper,
and finish with a your preferred waxes and polishes. The turtle wax chip stick (at this stage only) isn't too bad actually if it matches your car's color.

I've seen pretty impressive results using this method on the chip ridden mirrors and bumpers of dark colored cars.

p.s. The factory Arctic Silver touch up kit didn't match my my Paint at all.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-24-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:20 AM   #9

I just bought the porsche touvh up pen and havent used it yet.

It looks like it has 2 applications, 1 colour and 1 clear
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
I have used the Langka System on my Guards Red Boxster. I was frankly underwhelmed with the results and reverted back to the Tried and True method of multiple applications of Touch-Up paint with a Toothpick to fill the chip and then a light Wet Sanding using some 1200 Grit Paper pasted onto a Pencil Eraser followed by some polish to remove the Proud surface. This is really the only way to get a seamless, invisible repair.
Do you have more specific instructions with things like how high the paint should be before sanding, etc.?

Thanks!

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote