Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #1

Garage
Smile Off-set and tires for an 02' base Boxster

I have a 2002 Porsche Boxster base that I am fixing up for my son. I just ordered wheels for it and the seller assured me they would fit my car and not need any spacers. They came in yesterday and the rears will for sure need spacers. The company I ordered them from is being nice and offering to pay for some spacers but the kind they want to order does not seem safe to me. They are just a spacer with longer lug-nuts. When I built my 72' 911 Carrera a while back (12 years ago) these kind of spacers were not recommended. I also dont trust that they know the correct size of spacer to use. They are telling me a 20mm (a little more than 3/4") and I saw the same wheels on a car on line that used 1". The wheels offset and size are:

Size Staggered : Front 19X8.5 Rear 19X11
Offset : Front +53 Rear +62

Does anyone know what the best spacer size would be and if the bolt on spacers are better or safer than the kind listed above?

I also would like to know the best tire sizes to get as well...Before the tire shop orders some in that I wont be happy with.

Thanks in advance to any help or advice!!!

Last edited by HotwheelsUSA; 03-12-2013 at 08:11 AM.
HotwheelsUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #2

Garage
1st & foremost any 11" wide wheel will be a non-stop pain to try & run on a Boxster.
8.5" on the front will not be practical either & the 19" diameter will have enough tradeoffs to consider reconsidering 18" max.

Back to your question if you must use a spacer it must be hubcentric meaning the center must be a snug fit on the center of the brake rotor, & the spacer must have it's own center bore for the wheel to fit on & support it's weight, NOT the lug bolts.

You & your son will be glad later if you return the wheels now!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotwheelsUSA View Post
I have a 2002 Porsche Boxster base that I am fixing up for my son. I just ordered wheels for it and the seller assured me they would fit my car and not need any spacers. They came in yesterday and the rears will for sure need spacers. The company I ordered them from is being nice and offering to pay for some spacers but the kind they want to order does not seem safe to me. They are just a spacer with longer lug-nuts. When I built my 72' 911 Carrera a while back (12 years ago) these kind of spacers were not recommended. I also dont trust that they know the correct size of spacer to use. They are telling me a 20mm (a little more than 3/4") and I saw the same wheels on a car on line that used 1". The wheels offset and size are:

Size Staggered : Front 19X8.5 Rear 19X11
Offset : Front +53 Rear +62

Does anyone know what the best spacer size would be and if the bolt on spacers are better or safer than the kind listed above?

I also would like to know the best tire sizes to get as well...Before the tire shop orders some in that I wont be happy with.

Thanks in advance to any help or advice!!!
Under no uncertain terms will an 11 inch wheel fit on a 986 boxster. So the rears are an absolute no go. The fronts will fit ok. But, if you're looking for a more aggressive stance, then you'll have to lower the offset by at least 5mm to 10 mm.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #4

Lol...just done that one and bought the t shirt..!!! as they say.. search and read my VERY recent thread

Believe me..THAT they just WILL NOT FIT The Rear ET is far too great and if you mount them on, they stick out over and inch and look pants !!

Sold mine and made a few bucks into the bargain...Chap cam up and i fitted them to his 911 Carrera....where they should be...NOT on a Boxster !!!
Porsche Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pete View Post
Lol...just done that one and bought the t shirt..!!! as they say.. search and read my VERY recent thread

Believe me..THAT they just WILL NOT FIT The Rear ET is far too great and if you mount them on, they stick out over and inch and look pants !!

Sold mine and made a few bucks into the bargain...Chap cam up and i fitted them to his 911 Carrera....where they should be...NOT on a Boxster !!!
His situation is worse, he ended up with a 19 x 11 for rears.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #6

Garage
I appreciate the feedback...depressing but still appreciated. I love these wheels so much compared to everything else that I have seen (within a first car budget). What about maybe flaring the rear of the car. Does anyone know of an inexpensive flare kit for these. To get the look I wanted on my 74' 911 I had to send the car out and have welded some very nice and expensive flares...I dont want to spend that much on this project but maybe there is a less expensive fiberglass kit I can have installed. The rear bumper cover has some cracks in it so it would not be unreasonable to replace it (because I have already been considering it). Thanks again for any help.

Here is a pic of my 74' 911

Attached is a pic of my 911

Last edited by HotwheelsUSA; 03-12-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #7

No flares. Return those, get your money back and find some wheels that will fit and look good. Good luck and keep us posted.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotwheelsUSA View Post
I appreciate the feedback...depressing but still appreciated. I love these wheels so much compared to everything else that I have seen (within a first car budget). What about maybe flaring the rear of the car. Does anyone know of an inexpensive flare kit for these. To get the look I wanted on my 74' 911 I had to send the car out and have welded some very nice and expensive flares...I dont want to spend that much on this project but maybe there is a less expensive fiberglass kit I can have installed. The rear bumper cover has some cracks in it so it would not be unreasonable to replace it (because I have already been considering it). Thanks again for any help.

Here is a pic of my 74' 911

Attached is a pic of my 911
You need a 12 Step Program my friend.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:55 AM   #9

i am running 19x8.5 front and 19x11 rear fits fine on my box s.
M1Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Ark View Post
i am running 19x8.5 front and 19x11 rear fits fine on my box s.
What model boxster ?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
You need a 12 Step Program my friend.
Didn't he at least get the color right JD?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #12

Garage
Its a base

Its a base. Do you have any pics with the 11" wide tires and wheels on your car? Thx

Last edited by HotwheelsUSA; 03-23-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
What model boxster ?
Does it matter? I didn't think any Boxster would properly accommodate an 11" (280mm) rim. I wonder what tires he's running. No matter, I don't think he'll be back to tell us...

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off set , off-set , offset , tire size , wheels