Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #1

anyone had this problem before

Hi All.
I have posted this thread on our UK forum and just wondering if anyone over here has had the same problem (other than you JW)

I've done a search and found lots of "Roof/window problems" but cant find the answer to this one ! anyone out there know or had this before ?
2003 (face lift) 2.7, roof goes down as normal, ie windows drop when you un-clip the lock, however the Red warning light does not come on in the dashboard clock warning lights, but when you press the soft top switch to put the roof up, the windows no longer drop that few inches to allow the roof to seat properly on the front of the windscreen, and when it does reach and touch the windows you can see and feel it push on them and force them to drop the few inches, and the other odd thing is just as the clam shell is about to close and finish off the action (Closing & Opening) the Red warning light will come on momentarily then go out as to say that the action is complete.
I hope this makes sense to someone and they have a possible answer, it feels to me that there could be a micro switch fault in the rear part of the clam shell, as the warning light comes on just as the action is finishing with the clam shell shutting/locking into place, I've looked at the small boxed area in the center rear of the back (just behind the 3rd brake light) where the cables go and I cant see any type of micro switch anyone know if there is one there ? I've pulled out all the relays by the fuse box one by one, and none of them seem to be linked to the roof, as after pulling each one I worked the roof action and it carried on moving.
I have changed the oblong relay above the fuse box and no change.
at the moment all I have to do is remember to drop the windows a touch before closing the roof, so I can live with it but it is bugging me and I would love to get it sorted.
any help will be much appreciated.
Guvs.

Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #2

I haven't had this problem myself, but I'll share a few thoughts that might help.

There a multiple sensors involved in convertible top operations. All must work properly for the top and windows and dash light to work correctly. Based on your description, it looks to me you have a broken sensor so the car doesn't recognize the position of the convertible top.

The sensor that tells the car the emergency brake is engaged seems to work just fine given the top itself raises and lowers.

There is a sensor (perhaps two) located above the center of the windscreen where the top latches. I take it that the widows drop when you first unlatch the top. So this sensor may be working properly. Unlatch the top and open it a few inches. Push the spot above the center of the windscreen where the top latches. If the windows go back up, the this sensor is working.

Once the top begins to open, the red light should come on the dash until the top is open fully. And once you start to close the top, the red light should come on again until the top is closed completely. I suspect, but don't actually know, that the sensor located in the clamshell area is the one that tells the car the position of the top. This sensor is located on the left side of the car in the convertible top transmission. See this post: 2000 Boxster-S microswitch mystery - 986 Boxster Top Issues and Solutions - RennTech.org Forums. The cause of your problem might be there.

It's worth fixing this. If you continue to push the windows down, you might break one of the plastic pieces in the window regulator. When this piece breaks, the window no longer drops when one opens the door.

Those are my ideas. Hope they help. Good luck.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #3

Hi thom.
Thanks for that link , very interesting reading and yes it dose seem to be that sort of problem, and one I will look at when the weather gets better, I was also given some information and a photo of a possible solution from another member of this forum (JW)
I will report back when I have had a look and a fiddle with what I find.
It's just getting a dry day to have the top down over here that is the problem at the moment, looks like your having your fair share of bad weather over there as well according to our news, keep safe.
Guvs.

Last edited by Guvs; 02-10-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #4

while I've been searching for this switch I have been to my local Indy (Chris Denning) for advice on this matter and the first visit I was given good advice of where to find the likely faulty micro switch, as you say and where the latest link shows it to be, and he even looked at the parts catalogue, I stripped the coverings off today left and right just in case there was any discrepancies with LHD & RHD and still couldn't find the switch, at this point I will add that my Boxster is an 2003 face lift model, so I left all the covering off and went to Chris for him to confirm that I have no switch because by this time I am going a bit loopy, after a good inspection he couldn't find one either, I could of left it with him and I have no doubt he would of been able to fix the problem, but it would cost a few hours labour plus parts, and as the only problem is I have to manually drop the windows slightly before I put the roof up it's not economically worth it, and I have a funny feeling that it will start working 100% as mysteriously as it sopped working fully, if it dose I will update this thread.

So the outcome of this thread is not solved/ongoing.

Guvs.