View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
thom4782

I haven't had this problem myself, but I'll share a few thoughts that might help.

There a multiple sensors involved in convertible top operations. All must work properly for the top and windows and dash light to work correctly. Based on your description, it looks to me you have a broken sensor so the car doesn't recognize the position of the convertible top.

The sensor that tells the car the emergency brake is engaged seems to work just fine given the top itself raises and lowers.

There is a sensor (perhaps two) located above the center of the windscreen where the top latches. I take it that the widows drop when you first unlatch the top. So this sensor may be working properly. Unlatch the top and open it a few inches. Push the spot above the center of the windscreen where the top latches. If the windows go back up, the this sensor is working.

Once the top begins to open, the red light should come on the dash until the top is open fully. And once you start to close the top, the red light should come on again until the top is closed completely. I suspect, but don't actually know, that the sensor located in the clamshell area is the one that tells the car the position of the top. This sensor is located on the left side of the car in the convertible top transmission. See this post: 2000 Boxster-S microswitch mystery - 986 Boxster Top Issues and Solutions - RennTech.org Forums. The cause of your problem might be there.

It's worth fixing this. If you continue to push the windows down, you might break one of the plastic pieces in the window regulator. When this piece breaks, the window no longer drops when one opens the door.

Those are my ideas. Hope they help. Good luck.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote