Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
02 box s
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 226
223whp & 207tq

Did a baseline dyno yesterday. 223/207 were the dyno jet numbers. Car is desnorked with a bb muffler. Will be adding headers and bypass pipes. Wanted to see where it was first.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Theoretical propagandist
 
Eric G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 793
Garage
Post the chart if you can!
__________________
When life throws you curves, aim for the apex...
Eric G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,724
Pretty Strong for an 11 year old car there Brad.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,429
What year and model car do you have? I have been looking at the BB muffler also.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
02 box s
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
What year and model car do you have? I have been looking at the BB muffler also.

02box S. it was coresellers car that I bought a little over a year ago. it came with the bb exhaust and desnork. i have an evoms CAI and top speed headers/bypass pipes to install and wanted a baseline. Plans are to rework the CAI and seal it as we'll as add an udp and ipd plenum. Will dyno after each to see results. Going with the top speed setup bc it was just darn cheap, <350.00 for headers and bypass pipes. Quality looks decent so I figured I would take a chance.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
02 box s
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Pretty Strong for an 11 year old car there Brad.
15% drivetrain loss indicates 256fwhp. I was pleased. She has always felt strong. Hoping to see 230+ after exhaust. I am hoping it will be bearably loud.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
02box S. it was coresellers car that I bought a little over a year ago. it came with the bb exhaust and desnork. i have an evoms CAI and top speed headers/bypass pipes to install and wanted a baseline. Plans are to rework the CAI and seal it as we'll as add an udp and ipd plenum. Will dyno after each to see results. Going with the top speed setup bc it was just darn cheap, <350.00 for headers and bypass pipes. Quality looks decent so I figured I would take a chance.
I'm sitting here chuckling, I didn't even know it was desnorkled........seriously. I did know it was a quick little feller though. Enjoy the modding Brad
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
02 box s
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I'm sitting here chuckling, I didn't even know it was desnorkled........seriously. I did know it was a quick little feller though. Enjoy the modding Brad

Not planning a ton of mods. I have a set of volk forged wheels going on this month. I will add coilovers and big sways later. That is it for mods until she needs a new motor. Then it's off to rabys.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
I consider 225/210 stock for a strong 3.2 our my dyno jet.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
02 box s
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
I consider 225/210 stock for a strong 3.2 our my dyno jet.
Well I guess I did indeed pick the right boxster to buy. So far so good. We will see what happens adding the exhaust.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Frederick MD
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
Well I guess I did indeed pick the right boxster to buy. So far so good. We will see what happens adding the exhaust.
Brad, you should "resnork" it and dyno it before you do any else. It would be nice to see the difference...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
02 box s
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Brad, you should "resnork" it and dyno it before you do any else. It would be nice to see the difference...
Don't have the snork. Car came without it. Sorry.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Carnut
 
AndyA6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 774
If I send you my "snork" would you use it to do a comparo? Would be nice!
__________________
'14 Boxster
AndyA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Frederick MD
Posts: 658
Please do!
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,575
Garage
can't find this thread, but someone already did it.
the dyno shows +5HP with the car desnork .
however, some say it is not accurate since the dyno is done when the car is stationary. the assumption is that the car gets "air rammed" when on the move.
so basically some claim the desnork is not adding any power despite the dyno results.
i think it doesn't really matter. it sound good, and you are definitely not loosing power.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Frederick MD
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
can't find this thread, but someone already did it.
the dyno shows +5HP with the car desnork .
however, some say it is not accurate since the dyno is done when the car is stationary. the assumption is that the car gets "air rammed" when on the move.
so basically some claim the desnork is not adding any power despite the dyno results.
i think it doesn't really matter. it sound good, and you are definitely not loosing power.
Actually, some of the learned folks on this forum (Mr.Raby I believe is one) claim that overall there is a loss over most of the rev range with a desnork. There may be a certain rpm that shows a gain, but overall I've heard it will slow the car down...even though it may sound faster.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
02 box s
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 226
New exhaust is already on the car so no joy. Sorry. Best I can do is offer a comparison bw a mostly stock exhaust and headers/bypass pipes added.

Later I will add the CAI, udp, and ipd plenum. I will dyno after each. Hopefully it will give decent data.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #18
Carnut
 
AndyA6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 774
5hp more or no change or loss of power, that's why some incl. me suggested to do another before/after desnork.... Oh well!
__________________
'14 Boxster
AndyA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
02 box s
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 226
Well good news and bad. Good news first. Headers, bypass pipes and BB muffler is only loud when you romp on it and all resonance/drone is gone. Mark, the previous owner had considered reinstalling the factory muffler bc of the drone. It's all gone. Car actually sounds quieter inside! Wife says its pretty loud when I passed her but that was accelerating past 5k rpms. I am more than happy with the sound.

Bad news...had to install both sets of the max speed mini cats. The front 02 sensor wiring wasn't long enough to reach. So now the 02 sensors are both reading the same and I have a cel. I guess I need to extend the wires or else get a 90 adapter. My only fear with an adapter is that the 02 sensor will be too far out if the 02 stream to read correctly. Right now I imagine its running in strictly open loop mode.

Advice?
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,190
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
Well good news and bad. Good news first. Headers, bypass pipes and BB muffler is only loud when you romp on it and all resonance/drone is gone. Mark, the previous owner had considered reinstalling the factory muffler bc of the drone. It's all gone. Car actually sounds quieter inside! Wife says its pretty loud when I passed her but that was accelerating past 5k rpms. I am more than happy with the sound.

Bad news...had to install both sets of the max speed mini cats. The front 02 sensor wiring wasn't long enough to reach. So now the 02 sensors are both reading the same and I have a cel. I guess I need to extend the wires or else get a 90 adapter. My only fear with an adapter is that the 02 sensor will be too far out if the 02 stream to read correctly. Right now I imagine its running in strictly open loop mode.

Advice?
See if the rear O2 sensors are long enough to work in the front, they should. If so you may want to get new rears & install in the front. You may get a CEL for slow heating of the O2's so keep in mind to minimize that.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page