Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Registered User
 
mistermac99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 164
Garage
Heater/AC always on low when starting vehicle...can this be changed?

When I start up my 1999, the heat/ac always comes on the low setting, even though I have it turned off when I turn off the engine and get out of the car.

Is there a way to change this setting by changing some sort of code, so it does not come on when the vehicle starts up?

Every vehicle I have owned, you have to turn on the heat/ac, but this one always comes on to the lowest setting when cranked.

Thanks for any help.
__________________
1999 Boxster - Arctic Silver Metallic
***As You Think, So Shall You Become***
mistermac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,575
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermac99 View Post
When I start up my 1999, the heat/ac always comes on the low setting, even though I have it turned off when I turn off the engine and get out of the car.

Is there a way to change this setting by changing some sort of code, so it does not come on when the vehicle starts up?

Every vehicle I have owned, you have to turn on the heat/ac, but this one always comes on to the lowest setting when cranked.

Thanks for any help.
not sure what is your issue, but i can confirm it shouldn't work this way.
if you want, let me know what is the part number of your HVAC control.
i have another one laying around i can send you just to check if yours is faulty (from a 01. so it might not fit).
another option is the ignition switch. any other strange behavior with the electric in the car?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Registered User
 
mistermac99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 164
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
not sure what is your issue, but i can confirm it shouldn't work this way.
if you want, let me know what is the part number of your HVAC control.
i have another one laying around i can send you just to check if yours is faulty (from a 01. so it might not fit).
another option is the ignition switch. any other strange behavior with the electric in the car?
Don't want to replace anything if possible, just wanted to know if this was normal, or if there was something that could be changed in the codes.

Maybe I will ask my Indy the next time we speak.

Not having any issues with the ignition. or any other electrical issues.
__________________
1999 Boxster - Arctic Silver Metallic
***As You Think, So Shall You Become***
mistermac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,575
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermac99 View Post
Don't want to replace anything if possible, just wanted to know if this was normal, or if there was something that could be changed in the codes.

Maybe I will ask my Indy the next time we speak.

Not having any issues with the ignition. or any other electrical issues.
just to be clear.
i did not offer to sale you anything.
the way you described the behavior of the AC control unit, is not normal.
most chances is, you have a defected unit.
instead of buying one, and then find out its not the problem, i offered to lend you main for the troubleshooting process.
from your reply, i understand you are not working on your car yourself, so my offer is not relevant.
just to make it clear again, the HAVC module is not for sale.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Registered User
 
tonycarreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,396
do you have it "Off" or do you have the fan turned down to no bars? (they're not the same)

the display should show "Off".
also, make sure (before turning it off) that "auto" is not selected
__________________
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you."
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miramar, FL
Posts: 163
I have a 2000 Base Model and the same thing happens with mine. When I start the car, the A/C displays the last temperature setting I had as well as "Manuell", although no bars are showing for the fan speed. This is after shutting the unit to "OFF" prior to turning off the ignition.
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Ex Esso kid
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 1,605
You had to turn it off every start on my 1998 -986 I hated it.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 513
2000 S. Comes on at every start on the last setting. Annoying. But I read somewhere it is normal.
__________________
*********************************
2012 Panamera 4
2010 Boxster
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Registered User
 
walt2810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
You had to turn it off every start on my 1998 -986 I hated it.
Ditto for MY99 - lame design their engineering.
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Registered User
 
mistermac99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 164
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2810 View Post
Ditto for MY99 - lame design their engineering.
Thanks for the information.
Now I won't go chasing a solution.
I guess I will just turn it off after each start, if I don't need it.

While we are on this subject, when I have my heater on, and then decide to hit the defrost button, the fan comes on wide open, and I have to turn it down to a lower setting.
Is this also normal?
__________________
1999 Boxster - Arctic Silver Metallic
***As You Think, So Shall You Become***
mistermac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
Registered User
 
walt2810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermac99 View Post
Thanks for the information.
Now I won't go chasing a solution.
I guess I will just turn it off after each start, if I don't need it.

While we are on this subject, when I have my heater on, and then decide to hit the defrost button, the fan comes on wide open, and I have to turn it down to a lower setting.
Is this also normal?
YES, another swell design from the great minds at Stuttgart
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Ex Esso kid
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2810 View Post
YES, another swell design from the great minds at Stuttgart
Actually, I think that controller was borrowed from Audi
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
Registered User
 
walt2810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Actually, I think that controller was borrowed from Audi
Great minds think alike. no need to re-invent the wheel
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Idaho Red Rocket 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nampa, ID.
Posts: 488
Both my 1998 and my 2000 do that. I have learned to turn on the key then turn off the A/C then finish starting the car. I dislike the setting that way.
__________________
2000 Boxster S
And then there are the Motorcycles.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
Registered User
 
gerber28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 53
Garage
2001 S, I turn the fan speed down until OFF is displayed. Restart later it remains OFF.
gerber28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page