Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #1

Boxster Key - Spare

My recently-purchased 2001 Boxster S (22K miles!) arrived with one key/fob combination and one keyless (bladeless?) programmed fob. The local authorized dealer quotes $164 to cut and install a second blade, and will require me to make two trips. Is there a simpler, cheaper way to accomplish the same thing? Apologies if this has been covered before, but I didn't see it during my search of the forum. Thanks.

(

iaincamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
You can purchase a key blank, but will still need the dealer to cut the blank.
Porsche Genuine key blank for 997 987 Boxster Cayman | eBay
If the fob is already programmed to the car your in great shape..
It cost me $336 at a dealer to get a new fob with already cut key programmed to the car. $175 for 1 hour labor.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #3

Garage
i used a guy here in the UK to cut a bank for me, just emailed him a picture of the key shaft, paypal-ed him the less than 20 bucks to cut it and two days later, showed up in the mail.

works perfectly.

Express Auto Keys.... http://www.keysinthepost.com/
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 10-09-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #4

What does this process program exactly?
Quote:
Warning: This process does NOT work on the Boxster
How to Program a Porsche Key Fob
By James Hood, eHow Contributor
How to Program a Porsche Key Fob thumbnail
Program a Porsche key fob.

The stylish Porsche cars come equipped with a remote entry system for controlling the door locks and alarm system. The system is controlled by a wireless transmitter in the Porsche key fob. This device has three buttons: lock, unlock and a panic alarm button. Before you can use the key fob with your car you must program it to work. Most keyless transmitters come already programmed from the Porsche dealership, but you can also reprogram it yourself using the ignition key and the security code.

Things You'll Need

Porsche key fob
Ignition key

Instructions

Enter the Porsche by the driver's seat and be sure everything is closed. This includes all doors, boot lids and bonnet.

Insert the key into the ignition and turn it clockwise until you start the Porsche engine.

Turn the 911 engine off and remove the key from ignition. Wait 90 seconds before continuing to the next step.

Turn the ignition to the "On" position and wait 15 seconds. This position is as far as you can turn the key without starting the engine. The immobilization light located in the 911 dashboard clock will go out.

Turn the ignition off again then turn it back on. After 15 seconds, the immobilization light will begin to blink.

Enter the four digit security code using the ignition. For instance, if the first digit in the code is three you would turn the ignition from on to off, then back on. This would equal 1 digit, so you would repeat this step two more times if the first digit is "3." Afterwards, wait for the immobilization light to flash then repeat this step for the next digit. After the fourth and last digit is entered, the light will flash again to signal you are in programming mode.

Press a button on the key fob and hold it until the LED light blinks. This will indicate it has been programmed.

Tips & Warnings

The immobilizer code is found in the original owner's manual. It can be provided to you by the manufacturer should you lose the code.

Program and Reprogram Your Car Remote Key Fob Control Transponder - Program Your Keys Free Instructions - Program Car Keys - Porsche
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 10-10-2012 at 06:26 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The immobilizer, and this procedure will not work on a Boxster.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #6

The remote on my keyfob failed (1998 Boxster) and when I opened it up I found that one of the two small (very small) microswitches had broken off the circuit board.

I found it quite easy to solder it back with a small soldering iron.

Worth trying before spending lots of money on a new key and having it coded.
Legba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
I think several of you failed to read the detail he provided.

Quote:
My recently-purchased 2001 Boxster S (22K miles!) arrived with one key/fob combination and one keyless (bladeless?) programmed fob.
He is asking for a blank to be cut, not a fob programmed.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #8

Just to clarify a complete key/fob has 3 parts, the key, the transponder that allows the car to be started and the unlocking/security buttons.

If he has the keyless FOB would it include the transponder in case he ever adds a key?

If the keyless FOB does not include the transponder, even adding a key will not allow you to start the car.

I'm guessing Programming must also be in two parts.
Program the unlocking/security buttons to be recognized by this car
and programming the cars immobilizer to accept the key's transponder code if it is included in the FOB.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 10-10-2012 at 08:20 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #9

Key Update

Thanks to everyone for his response. I've ordered the a genuine 986 Porsche replacement blade from ebay for $36, including shipping, thanks to Tony_Fury's advice. Now I have to figure out if I can get a good locksmith to copy it, or if I'll have to go through a dealer. The various online entities, like Keylessride, don't even list Porsche. Or maybe with my Dremel and some patience...
Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #10

Garage
any locksmith that can cut a double sided key will work, the Porsche dealership around me do not cut their own blanks and send them to a local locksmith. If you drop it off with them they charge $75.00 to cut key, if you go to the locksmith yourself it was $8.00!
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #11

Thanks to all

Thanks to Tony-Fury, Boxster6354, et al. If the blade arrives and is correct, and my excellent local locksmith can cut the blank, it looks like I can have a totally functional second key for under $50, all in. I'll keep everyone posted as to the results. It made me nervous not to have a spare, somewhere. (My brother once flew across the country to buy an older 911, which only came with one key. He managed to snap it off at the first diner at which he stopped, and had to start the car with his Leatherman stuck into the ignition until he found a Porsche dealer for a new ignition switch, which then required different keys for the doors and ignition, etc., etc...)
Old 10-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #12

Success!

:dance::dance:Sometime small victories feel so disproportionately sweet! I promptly received my OEM key blade from ebayer "autogallerygiftstore1" ($36 with shipping) and called a few locksmiths but none thought he had the right "sidewinder"(?) key cutting machine. I biked to the local authorized dealer, where the excellent Parts guy informed me that I'd need to bring in the car for him to copy the key, but relented when I explained that I keep the car 90 miles away for use on weekends (true), had racing tires on it and would have to trailer it (cough...cough), and showed matching license, title, insurance, registration, etc. He disappeared and returned 2 minutes later with a copy, declining payment. What a guy! The blade simply inserts into the fob, where a small sprung detent holds it into place. Disclaimer: Your results may vary. I am sure that most dealers would prefer to charge $160+ for the same work.

Last edited by iaincamp; 10-17-2012 at 02:41 AM.