Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 03:38 AM   #1

just got first porsche 3.2 260 boxster info on tuning please

hello people i have just come from bmw cars i have tuned many of the years but i am new to porsche engines i have just picked up a 03 3.2 boxster today so after info on tunning ie intake exhasts decat or sports cat manifolds throttle body back box that kind of thing whats the best way to go who makes good stuff any info please would be great

dan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #2

Much of this info has been covered in depth already in the forum. Your best bet would be to use the search function to get as much information as you can and then, if you still need more info, post specific questions. You'll find that we have many knowledgeable and helpful members, but first you need to put in a little effort yourself.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #3

Welcome!

Start with pictures of the car. We love pictures.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post
hello people i have just come from bmw cars i have tuned many of the years but i am new to porsche engines i have just picked up a 03 3.2 boxster today so after info on tunning ie intake exhasts decat or sports cat manifolds throttle body back box that kind of thing whats the best way to go who makes good stuff any info please would be great
Mother of all long sentences?

Search is your friend!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #5

You can start with this http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/itisn%27tfastenough.....

After you have read that, come back and repost and tell us just what you are trying to accomplish by what you call tuning. Racing, drag racing, auto-cross, general driveability???

And if you have any local anti-smog rules you have to comply with.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #6

Garage
hi dan, welcome to the club.. where in the UK are you ?

as a suggestion before you get into modifying the box, i would recommend to grips with the handling, balance and control of the boxster. it is by no means a drag racer, but the box is not that it really is a superbly balanced sports car, get on the twisting A roads and see what the box is really capable of, then you may want to tweak it to get what you want out of it, or after finding out what it is really about, you may just be happy with the way it is.

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

Yes, drive it first and see where you want improvements.

A boxster is one of the few cars that handles superbly as they come from the factory.

Tires will likely be you first line of tuning as the stickier ones help leverage the best features of the Boxster.

The motorcycle guys can really relate as the Boxster carves the twisties even better than they can in many cases.

Seems like the only decent way to get a significant power increase is by bigger displacement. A 3.4L or 3.6L will make it a rocket, and one guy is putting a 3.8L in now....I can't even imagine how that will go....bat out of hell fast no doubt.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 09-30-2012 at 09:34 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post

The motorcycle guys can really relate as the Boxster carves the twisties even better than they can in many cases.
+1 on that. better if your bike has boxer engine too! However you can't scrape the brake pedal to the pavement on a boxster.

2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote