986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   just got first porsche 3.2 260 boxster info on tuning please (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37547-just-got-first-porsche-3-2-260-boxster-info-tuning-please.html)

dan1234 09-30-2012 03:38 AM

just got first porsche 3.2 260 boxster info on tuning please

hello people i have just come from bmw cars i have tuned many of the years but i am new to porsche engines i have just picked up a 03 3.2 boxster today so after info on tunning ie intake exhasts decat or sports cat manifolds throttle body back box that kind of thing whats the best way to go who makes good stuff any info please would be great :cheers:

Mark_T 09-30-2012 04:29 AM

Much of this info has been covered in depth already in the forum. Your best bet would be to use the search function to get as much information as you can and then, if you still need more info, post specific questions. You'll find that we have many knowledgeable and helpful members, but first you need to put in a little effort yourself.

Bala 09-30-2012 04:33 AM

Welcome!

Start with pictures of the car. We love pictures. :)

AndyA6 09-30-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1234 (Post 307769)
hello people i have just come from bmw cars i have tuned many of the years but i am new to porsche engines i have just picked up a 03 3.2 boxster today so after info on tunning ie intake exhasts decat or sports cat manifolds throttle body back box that kind of thing whats the best way to go who makes good stuff any info please would be great :cheers:

Mother of all long sentences? :)

Search is your friend!

mikefocke 09-30-2012 12:00 PM

You can start with this http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/itisn%27tfastenough.....

After you have read that, come back and repost and tell us just what you are trying to accomplish by what you call tuning. Racing, drag racing, auto-cross, general driveability???

And if you have any local anti-smog rules you have to comply with.

Bruce Wayne 09-30-2012 12:13 PM

hi dan, welcome to the club.. where in the UK are you ?

as a suggestion before you get into modifying the box, i would recommend to grips with the handling, balance and control of the boxster. it is by no means a drag racer, but the box is not that it really is a superbly balanced sports car, get on the twisting A roads and see what the box is really capable of, then you may want to tweak it to get what you want out of it, or after finding out what it is really about, you may just be happy with the way it is.

:cheers:

jb92563 09-30-2012 09:30 PM

Yes, drive it first and see where you want improvements.

A boxster is one of the few cars that handles superbly as they come from the factory.

Tires will likely be you first line of tuning as the stickier ones help leverage the best features of the Boxster.

The motorcycle guys can really relate as the Boxster carves the twisties even better than they can in many cases.

Seems like the only decent way to get a significant power increase is by bigger displacement. A 3.4L or 3.6L will make it a rocket, and one guy is putting a 3.8L in now....I can't even imagine how that will go....bat out of hell fast no doubt.

Bala 10-01-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 307821)

The motorcycle guys can really relate as the Boxster carves the twisties even better than they can in many cases.

+1 on that. better if your bike has boxer engine too! However you can't scrape the brake pedal to the pavement on a boxster. :D