Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #1

Garage
Need some tire and wheel advice---Please.

This 1999 Boxster I just purchased one month ago has 19" tires and wheels. (see photo below) (I have other photos from different angles if helpful)

The front tires are: Nitto Invo 235/35 ZR19 91Y. They measure about 8" wide.

The rear tires were replaced by the dealership just prior to purcahase, and are: Nexen N3000 275/30 ZR19 96Y. They measure about 10" wide.

My Porsche mechanic who did the 60,000 service last week told me that they seemed a little too wide to him. The rear have spacers, which makes mounting the wheels unusual. Due to the fact that the wheel is only centered using the lugs, and will not reach the center part of the hub, which I guess centers 100%. He said they would probably work okay, but could reduce some performance, and compromise the ride comfort somewhat. They don't rub anywhere that's visible, but he said they rub a little on the fender well covers inside.

I'm thinking about trying to get some wheels and tires eventually that are more suitable, and maybe ride smoother. I don't have anything to compare to about the ride. I know that when I take it out for a drive, I don't want to get out of it. I know it's going to ride rougher than my 2003 Tundra (which I park outside now ), and the wife's Maxima, but 10X more fun.

I've been reading and searching this forum, trying to learn all I can about my Boxster, so from what I have seen on here so far, I feel I could get some good advice and opinions about what looks good, and what would best fit my car.

I think the wheels and tires look pretty nice on the car, but would like to hear other opinions from those with experience. (I think the more one learns about something, should help him make better decisions)

Thanks for any and all advice.

Last edited by mistermac99; 09-09-2012 at 06:14 PM.
mistermac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

Garage
Without knowing the actual offset and size of the wheels, it's difficult to thoroughly assess your "fitment". However, it sounds like the previous owner simply used a "sandwich" style spacer(s) rather than a hubcentric one(s). If that's the case, by virtue of the fact that there's nothing "acting" as the hub, I strongly recommend that you limit driving the vehicle with that kind of set-up, and get an appropriate set of hubcentric spacers .
Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #3

Garage
Can those hubcentric spacers be purchased locally, or do they need to be ordered? Is this something I need to get from my Porsche dealer, or could I get them from the local tire and wheel guy?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermac99 View Post
Can those hubcentric spacers be purchased locally, or do they need to be ordered? Is this something I need to get from my Porsche dealer, or could I get them from the local tire and wheel guy?
There are numerous sources that you can purchase high quality spacers from, to include eBay. However, it's important to first know what the specs of your wheels are (i.e. width and offset) in order to calculate what size spacers you should be using. I'm guessing that the fronts are either 19X8 or 19X8.5 (offset unknown), and the rears are 19X10 (offset unknown) .
Old 09-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
Ex Esso kid

Best to listen to him Mac, JD is like the "rain man" of Porsche wheel fitment and of course his seats used to be brown.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
This 1999 Boxster I just purchased one month ago has 19" tires and wheels. (see photo below) (I have other photos from different angles if helpful)

The front tires are: Nitto Invo 235/35 ZR19 91Y. They measure about 8" wide.

The rear tires were replaced by the dealership just prior to purcahase, and are: Nexen N3000 275/30 ZR19 96Y. They measure about 10" wide.

My Porsche mechanic who did the 60,000 service last week told me that they seemed a little too wide to him. The rear have spacers, which makes mounting the wheels unusual. Due to the fact that the wheel is only centered using the lugs, and will not reach the center part of the hub, which I guess centers 100%. He said they would probably work okay, but could reduce some performance, and compromise the ride comfort somewhat. They don't rub anywhere that's visible, but he said they rub a little on the fender well covers inside.

I'm thinking about trying to get some wheels and tires eventually that are more suitable, and maybe ride smoother. I don't have anything to compare to about the ride. I know that when I take it out for a drive, I don't want to get out of it. I know it's going to ride rougher than my 2003 Tundra (which I park outside now ), and the wife's Maxima, but 10X more fun.

I've been reading and searching this forum, trying to learn all I can about my Boxster, so from what I have seen on here so far, I feel I could get some good advice and opinions about what looks good, and what would best fit my car.

I think the wheels and tires look pretty nice on the car, but would like to hear other opinions from those with experience. (I think the more one learns about something, should help him make better decisions)

Thanks for any and all advice.

Mr Mac welcome to the forum! If I had to divide Porsche owners into 2 groups it would be those that bought for the performance (handling) & those that bought for the looks. If you consider yourself in the latter group I agree with the advice posted before mine & I also agree your wheels look pretty good.
If you would prefer to restore your car to Porsche designed specifications so that it handles better, get some OEM 17" Porsche wheels & Hi-perf tires in stock size. These will be much lighter & you will be amazed with the handling improvement. Still undeceided? Checkout the price to replace your 19" tires & 17" tire prices at Tirerack.com
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will definitely get the hubcentric spacers for the rear tires, since the front ones do not have spacers. This will make me feel safer while I make my decision about the wheels and tires.
Sooooo many choices, and soooo few dollars!
If only I could win the lottery.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will definitely get the hubcentric spacers for the rear tires, since the front ones do not have spacers. This will make me feel safer while I make my decision about the wheels and tires.
Sooooo many choices, and soooo few dollars!
If only I could win the lottery.
Good plan. I forgot to post that the hubs are supposed to bear the load of the wheels & tires, not the lug bolts.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #9

Garage
Those wheels look great! OEM wheels shouldn't be too hard to find and won't cost you much if you are patient. My Tundra sits outside as well and is getting pretty lonely
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #10

I probably have some that will fit if you can determine what the offset of your wheels are and the thickness of spacers I'll let you have them cheap as I have several sets laying around of both types, in that the thicker ones, 17mm and up have studs and nuts while thin ones require longer bolts
Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to ryanwise
Mac

Pull a front and rear wheel off and look for the size (19X9) and the offset
(ET45)
ryanwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smshirk View Post
I probably have some that will fit if you can determine what the offset of your wheels are and the thickness of spacers I'll let you have them cheap as I have several sets laying around of both types, in that the thicker ones, 17mm and up have studs and nuts while thin ones require longer bolts
When I had the wheels off a couple weeks ago, I found the front had no spacer and the rear spacer was about 1/4", or 7mm.

H.R. Springs told me that the spacers this thin don't have the lip to hold the wheel on. I think I found them on one other site, but the guy at HR said that lot's of guys buy the thin ones with no lip for the Porsche, without any problems or issues.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #13

Garage
Will do Ryan. I looked at the wheels briefly when I had them off before and didn't see any markings, but I need to really check them out to see if there's some information listed.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
When I had the wheels off a couple weeks ago, I found the front had no spacer and the rear spacer was about 1/4", or 7mm.

H.R. Springs told me that the spacers this thin don't have the lip to hold the wheel on. I think I found them on one other site, but the guy at HR said that lot's of guys buy the thin ones with no lip for the Porsche, without any problems or issues.
The initial assumption was that you were using large spacers on the rear. Therefore, it sounded like the previous owner had used the wrong style of spacers. Now that you have clarified that they're only 7 mm's, it makes sense that they didn't have the hubcentric "collars". Small spacers ranging from 5 mm to 7 mm will still provide enough exposure to the hub that the wheel will "catch".