Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Top down

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Pastor T
First Oil Change

OK so here's the deal. 2000 boxster 87K miles. Engine replaced by Porsche at 40K due to "internal engine failure". I have had the car 3 weeks and just did my first oil change. According to the previous owner it had been over 10k since the last change. I inspected the filter element by tapping it over a white paper towel and found nothing except some medium brown flakes of what appear to be solidified oil residue or something from the filter itself and a very few small black plastic particles. However, after swirling my magnet in the bottom of the filter canister before dumping it out if found very small metal particles. I hope I can get the pictures to upload so you can see them. What do you think so far? These are NOT the metal particles. Nothing on the paper towel was metal particles.

Last edited by Pastor T; 08-29-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Pastor T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Top down

Garage
These ARE the metal particles I found with the magnet in the bottom of the filter canister.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #3

After a 10k oil change interval it doesn't look bad, the plastic is pretty normal. But the ferrous metal is a bit of a concern. If you still have the filter, cut both ends off of it and stretch out the pleats and go through it with a magnet to check for more ferrous metal.

If it were my car, I would pull the sump plate and see whats in the bottom of it as well as what is in the pickup tube screen. If there is little metal or plastic, I wouldn't be concerned. I know you just changed the oil, but you can just drain the oil into a perfectly clean container aand then just put the oil back in.

Consider getting a magnetic drain plug to monitor ferrous metal in the future.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Top down

Garage
San Rensho; Thanks for your observations and counsel. I am so paranoid about IMS failure I think about it all the time. I am listening for even the slightest sounds that are out of the norm. However, after only having the car for about 3 -4 weeks I'm not sure what normal is yet. Even given all that this car is the most fun I have ever had in a car. I have a 96 Toyota Celica GT Convertible that is just crazy fun. But it is seriously underpowered. Don't have that problem any more!!! BTW, I did cut the filter apart and spread it out. However, I did not run the magnet up and down the pleats. I will do that now. Thanks
Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

Garage
I find those little brown plastic things in my filter from time to time. I was told that they may have been gasket material or something?? I installed the magnetic plug from pelican and only have found just a small amount of very fine metal sludge. I change my oil at less than 3k though.

good luck
sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Top down

Garage
Smile

Thanks Sean. My plan is to change oil every 5K. I also plan on getting the plug to install at the next change.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor T View Post
Thanks Sean. My plan is to change oil every 5K. I also plan on getting the plug to install at the next change.
For further peace of mind, 2500 miles into the oil change interval, take out the oil filter and examine it for metal bits. I just reinstall the old filter but others say you should replace it. You lose about 1/3 quart of oil.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4 View Post
I find those little brown plastic things in my filter from time to time. I was told that they may have been gasket material or something?? I installed the magnetic plug from pelican and only have found just a small amount of very fine metal sludge. I change my oil at less than 3k though.

good luck
sean
Yes, the little brown or yellow bits are excess gasket material that squished out on the inside of the engine when the surfaces were mated and they have finally broke off. No big worry.

The metal debris is worrisome. Good engines don't normally lose metal bits through normal operation. I would look into that.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-30-2012 at 07:55 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote