Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #1

19" Wheels on my 97 Boxster

To all, I currently have Chrome 17's on my 97 Boxster and am looking at a set of 19" Lobster Claw wheels that are for sale in my area from a Cayman. My car has NOT been lowered and I really want to make these wheels work. Will they work on my application? I am going to have them powdercoated black FWIW. Thanks for the info/expertise.

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #2

Porsche doesn't ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Boxster View Post
To all, I currently have Chrome 17's on my 97 Boxster and am looking at a set of 19" Lobster Claw wheels that are for sale in my area from a Cayman. My car has NOT been lowered and I really want to make these wheels work. Will they work on my application? I am going to have them powdercoated black FWIW. Thanks for the info/expertise.
... recommend 18" or larger wheels on 1997 Boxsters.
The factory reinforced the front and rear strut mounts so that larger wheels could be used as an option on 1998 and newer Boxsters.
If you don't track it or put undue stress on the strut towers you should be fine with them, but I've seen two '97s that did crack the mounts by using 18" wheels and tracking them.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon View Post
... recommend 18" or larger wheels on 1997 Boxsters.
The factory reinforced the front and rear strut mounts so that larger wheels could be used as an option on 1998 and newer Boxsters.
If you don't track it or put undue stress on the strut towers you should be fine with them, but I've seen two '97s that did crack the mounts by using 18" wheels and tracking them.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Thanks Pedro. Will I need spacers to use these wheels on my car? I dont plan on any track time so I should be safe there.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #4

Secured the deal with the 19" Lobsters for my boxster. Will pick them up tomorrow and mount them up. Cant wait to see the difference. Stay tuned for pics.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #5

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the difference.

Last edited by Chief; 05-12-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #6

Cant wait to see the difference with 19"
Old 05-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #7

The weather here is killing me. It's raining so much that I won't be able to pick up the wheels until later today. Bummer for sure.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
The weather here is killing me. It's raining so much that I won't be able to pick up the wheels until later today. Bummer for sure.
It's 77 and sunny up here in the great NorthWet. Did we switch weather or something?
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #9

Its finished

Finally was able to pick up the new wheels today and get them on. Love the look/ride and its a head turner now. Love the new look.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #10

Looks much better! Chrome ftl
SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 AM   #11

What are those rims called? I am looking for a set myself.
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 AM   #12

Dennis they are Lobster Claw Porsche Wheels.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I'm too much into erring on the side of caution with my 97, but I do have to say that those look excellent and much nicer compared to the chromed stock style. It's amazing how much of a difference that makes just eliminating some tire sidewall with wheel.

I had a 987 owner who has 18s from a Cayman on his ask me if my wheels were 16s or 15s, and his face kind of contorted when I told him they were 17s. It can make one feel a bit inadequate at times with today's cars being so upsized on everything. Still, I just can't take the risk of going up any sizes unless I know the car will be ok, and the answer is pretty much MY98+ to be assured of that.

I'm throwing some jealousy your way, 97, but only in good ways. The car looks sharp, the chrome was very blingy and out of place to me.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I'm too much into erring on the side of caution with my 97, but I do have to say that those look excellent and much nicer compared to the chromed stock style. It's amazing how much of a difference that makes just eliminating some tire sidewall with wheel.

I had a 987 owner who has 18s from a Cayman on his ask me if my wheels were 16s or 15s, and his face kind of contorted when I told him they were 17s. It can make one feel a bit inadequate at times with today's cars being so upsized on everything. Still, I just can't take the risk of going up any sizes unless I know the car will be ok, and the answer is pretty much MY98+ to be assured of that.

I'm throwing some jealousy your way, 97, but only in good ways. The car looks sharp, the chrome was very blingy and out of place to me.
Thanks OD. I have heard and read of oversized wheels on the 97's being an issue when tracking the car but thats about it. I baby this car although I do rev it on occasion to "keep the juices flowing" in the car and in myself so I hope I am OK. The chrome was BLINGY but those wheels were some of the cleanest/straightest used set I have seen on a boxster since I bought mine so I kept them for about 3 years. It was time to let them go and "UPGRADE" if you call it that.

Thanks for the kind words and NO jealousy is needed. We all have our 5 seconds of fame and this was mine. LOL

On another note. I took the wheels to get them balanced on Saturday to a shop by my house who USED to do all my work. Lately I have had issues with them working on my Hummer (forgetting the skid plate bolts, oil cap not fastened properly and washer fluid not filled as requested) and I thought i would give them another chance after they said they would make good and rebalance my new wheels. Well, I got them home, installed them and went for a ride in the evening and guess what?? Shaking like crazy. I checked out the weights and they were all over the place. Terrible job and so I called today and let them have it. They said to come back and give them a chance to fix it- I DECLINED. Went to a reputable high end wheel shop and VIOLA now its perfect as it should be. Sorry for the rant.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Went to a reputable high end wheel shop and VIOLA now its perfect as it should be. Sorry for the rant.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #16

Nice wheels! Did you need spacers to avoid hitting the calipers? Any rubbing when you're lock to lock on the steering wheel?
3point2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #17

I know this is an old thread but rather then starting new, I have the same question...does the lobster wheels rub? Bottom out? Spaces? effect the steering side to side?

Mine is 2002 so I assume this will apply to me too

Much rougher ride? Looks over performance handling?

InTune is offline   Reply With Quote