Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

Garage
2.5 gone but 3.4 on the way!!! Q about the mounts..

Hi everybody
I've been reading alot about swap and still not sure about few things
(boxster 99' 2.5)

1st
the engine mounts
some saying that stock 986 mounts can be used but will have a problem with the airbox
if so Can I use 987S box to clear the engine lid???

if all of this is wrong
what kind of mounts should I use???
"101 projects for your Boxster" teling me to use 993 trans mounts on trans and stock with spacer on the engine???
I'm not a big fan of using spacers!!!!!!!!!!!
can somebody clear it?? PLEASE
I've been reading all the articles by swap gurus , but want to be sure before I'll start ordering parts
Engine is coming in 5 days and can not wait to start:dance:

btw
thanks for the great forum

golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
I have not done this but as I recall, a 968 motor mount will lower the motor 1" which is just enough. Confirm with someone who has done this first.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #3

Garage
Just use a Boxster S intake manifold & your original engine & trans mounts.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #4

Are you sure a 986 inlet manifold will fit a 996 3.4 ? If its a cayman 3.4 engine it will already have intake manifoilds to suit. The trans mounts are based on the power and transmission type of the engine. The 993 mounts were carried over to the 986 s and 987 S manual gearboxes. Easy enough to change at a later date if the originals dont last though.
berty987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Just use a Boxster S intake manifold & your original engine & trans mounts.
You talking about 986 or 987????
Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #6

The best way would be to use a cayman S engine cover, which will give you more clearance.

Lowering the engine 1.5" is a poor solution
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by berty987 View Post
Are you sure a 986 inlet manifold will fit a 996 3.4 ? If its a cayman 3.4 engine it will already have intake manifoilds to suit. The trans mounts are based on the power and transmission type of the engine. The 993 mounts were carried over to the 986 s and 987 S manual gearboxes. Easy enough to change at a later date if the originals dont last though.
The 986 intake manifold will not bolt up to the 3.4 head.
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by berty987 View Post
As we have debated before they are the same head casting with identical bolt bosses, you just need to drill & tap threads in a few of the bosses.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by golonaus View Post
You talking about 986 or 987????
986 M96 5 chain engines
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoothlee View Post
The best way would be to use a cayman S engine cover, which will give you more clearance.

Lowering the engine 1.5" is a poor solution
what do U mean by engine cover??
Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by golonaus View Post
what do U mean by engine cover??
He's referring to the cover that you must remove (after putting the top in the service position and removing the carpeted cover) to gain access to the top of the engine.

Apparently, that allows for the extra space that is needed above the engine to allow you to use the stock transmission mounts. It also means that the engine will not hang down below lower than "normal".

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #12

Just an update on this topic........ I just put my new 987 mount in, raised my motor to stock height to see if I can make it all work like everyone says. First the intake manifolds hit the body. No biggie it can be adjusted as needed. Second, the shifter cables get pulled so tight that there is no way I would drive like that. Third, it's worked fine lowered for the past 3 years so......... As for worrying about the motor being low, ask schoir, my car is on coilovers and is low. No issues with clearance. The motor sits low so just watch out for crap on the road.

I just messaged another member, hopefully he has the solution as to why I can't make this all work in harmony.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY View Post
Just an update on this topic........ I just put my new 987 mount in, raised my motor to stock height to see if I can make it all work like everyone says. First the intake manifolds hit the body. No biggie it can be adjusted as needed. Second, the shifter cables get pulled so tight that there is no way I would drive like that. Third, it's worked fine lowered for the past 3 years so......... As for worrying about the motor being low, ask schoir, my car is on coilovers and is low. No issues with clearance. The motor sits low so just watch out for crap on the road.

I just messaged another member, hopefully he has the solution as to why I can't make this all work in harmony.
Thank 4 the info
Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #14

Garage
So just to be clear
3.4 in on stock mounts
987s engine cover
996 intake
987s airbox/maf
Software update
And I'm good to go, right????
Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #15

Like I said it will all work except the shift cables. Kind of a huge deal breaker. Unless some one knows a magic trick that I couldn't figure out to make it work.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote