Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
jakesbox

Whining Noise

I sold a speedster so I didnt have to keep messing with it...but here I am again. Fallen in love with my Boxster and I am 1 week in and have a noise.

Is it possible on these cars to be low on steering fluid and here it as you go through the gears...meaning when you are in a straight line...NOT steering or turing corners, and hear that whine...is it possible to be low on fluid and hear it???

I have never driven a car low on steering fluid that made noise unless you were turning the wheel.

Thanks!

trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #2

It could be wheel bearing. It makes a very similar noise to the power steering.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Easy to verify. Check (and fill) the power steering fluid (if needed) and see if the whine goes away. Shouldn't take more than 10 mins.

My guess is that you'll find that its not the power steering creating the whining noise but its an easy one to rule out.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
jakesbox

Any other thoughts on what it could be?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Any other thoughts on what it could be?
hmmm, wifey..?

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Does the sound change with RPM intensity? You can check the serpentine belt and look at the PS pump at the same time by accessing the aluminum cover on the firewall.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Registered Boxster abuser

II think the whine is located behind the steering wheel.....

Sorry could not resist.

Yes it is possible under higher RPM the power steering pump is low on fluid or is pumping air making the noise you are hearing
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
jakesbox

Yeah, the car is in the shop now getting looked at. The service guy at the Brumos Porsche Dealership and I took a ride and he said it is normal. Again, this is my first car of this type. I am used to the old air cooled carbeureted engines!

BUT - I dropped the car off at 9:45. Had an appt and everything. I just called him as they are doing an oil change and multi point inspect on the car. He just said to me..."yep, getting the car back there now and going to start draining the oil and doing the inspection." To which I said "what is the point of having an Appt time?" and he said, at least the car is in the queue...

That doesnt make me happy. I was told 4 hours for everything. My wife took the afternoon off to cart me around and pick it up. Good thing I didnt stay at the dealer until it was done! Sorry for the complaining...
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
jakesbox

very funny - GILLES
Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #10

Boxer engines do have a low volume whine to them that other engines do not have.

My non porsche experienced mechanic thought the transmission was messed up, but I have been driving it like that for 1.5 years. And other Boxsters I have driven sound the same.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
jakesbox

Thanks everyone. Good bill of health came back...not great but good. Need to eventually replace the Rear seal (crankshaft) as it is starting to "seep". The porsche dealer wants 1395 bucks. Lifetime limited warranty. I asked what that meant and as long as the car is being driven and not sitting, if it happens again, they will replace at no cost for the life of my ownership. Is that a good price?

They also did an oil change and did not note any metal shavings...
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
That price sounds pretty outrageous, honestly. Glad you're ok overall, but try to find an independent mechanic that knows Porsches and let them at it. Also, as far as the waiting time goes (at the dealer and certain shops), I find it best to actually wait for the car if it's not going to be too long, because if you leave then you're not there for them to see, still waiting for your car. If I do leave and return in the specified time, and it's going to take more than an hour beyond what they promised with no good explanation, you have every right to make a stink.

Don't wait too long on that rear main seal, keep an eye on it because it could get worse. Try to get it fixed as soon as you can, but don't let these guys gouge the price on you.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

So.... what was the source of the whining sound?

A good indy mechanic should be able replace the RMS for about 2/3 of what the dealer is asking. Or just keep an eye on it and do it when the clutch needs replacement.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
jakesbox

the noise was all normal. again, never having owned one of these, I wasnt sure...but it was all good. NO metal shavings, all the belts were good, etc. I talked to the head of the local North Florida PCA - really cool guy, he has been taking all of his cars to this dealer since 1972. He has 3 Porsche's now. He gave me the name of an independent that the group trusts so I will call them. BUT - the dealer will gurantee the work for the life of me owning the car...so I will probably have it done there. Still NO oil drips which is good.