Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2005, 07:00 PM   #1

Used Boxster

Hi,
I checked out a used boxster today. It is a 2000 model with 45k miles. It felt normal driving it. The paint job was good. Most stuff was in very good shape. I did have three problems that I wanted to see what you guys think. The biggest problem which seems very serious was when I started the car, The air conditioner came on. when it was on low there was some noise. When you pushed up the manual air intensity the compressor kicked it making it noisier. It seems noisier than a normal car. But I assume it is because the acoustic are so small. But then the biggy
a Loud sound that sound like when you rub your finger around a wine glass and it makes that hollow tone. It randomly started doing that on and off. It was very loud. I noticed it seemed loudest by where you put the gas in. It might just me echoing through the car.
The seller said he brought it to a porsche authorized dealer and they said there is nothing wrong with the AC except the Vacume tube sometimes needs to be adjusted which causes this noise.

Does this sound like it makes sense or do you think the compressor is shot and needs to be replace. This could be very expensive.

Next the tail pipe was very rusty and also the metal underneath the car was pretty rusty. The car mostly stayed in florida near the beach. There was a year and a half where it was in NY. I thought maybe it was from the humidity from being near the beach and maybe left outside when it snowed a lot in ny. Maybe the snow rusted under neath. Let me know if the rust is a problem or is there a way to clean it. especially the tail pipe. I will upload some pictures later.
Underneath you don't see but I don't know if problems will come up later because of this.

The third was typical. There was a nail in the back right tire smack in the middle. I am not sure if you can plug these tires. let me know if this needs to be replaced. It sound like one tire on these cars are expensive.

Thanks for your help

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:14 PM   #2

Walk Away

I'd say too many red flags. BAIL OUT!

(And the rust came from the salt put on snowy roads from its stay in NY.)
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #3

I found an article from another forum

There was a recall for the gas cap. Don't think it's the problem you're talking about. Faulty seal on the cap is responsible for a check engine light that comes on when the tank is pressurized. You might want to have it replaced.

is this possible plus someone else had a problem similar. they descibed it as blowing over the tip of a bottle coming from near the gas cap.

This is pretty close analogy.

what do you think or has anyone had this with there car or the AC
Old 08-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #4

Talking

If you are serious about a purchase, strongly suggest a PPI from a Porsche dealer. Also, have the dealer run a warranty claims history.

Money and time well spent.

Also, paint needs to be checked with paint meter. Car fax a must for title related issues.

Good luck!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:22 PM   #5

I did the carfax report. everything was good on there. He had it serviced once a year plus normal oil etc servicing. I have to check on Monday with the Porsche dealer for maitanance and warranty records. Do they charge you for that. I am not tryinig to be cheap but the guy lives far away. It cost me almost a $100 in gas and tolls today to see it. If I have to do a PPI and pay for Dealer papers I might be up to $300 just to figure out if it is damaged. Maybe I should move on and find another seller unless someone has an idea about the sound coming from the gas spout area when the AC is on.
Maybe it is a common thing. easy to fix. or maybe not.

The price is very good and it is loaded .

but a messed up car will definetly cost more in the loong run.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:37 AM   #6

Talking

Most dealers will gladly print you out the warranty report. The seller should have invoices and receipts for all service work if he is the original owner.

Re the PPI, personally I would not buy a used Porsche without this unless I was buying a CPO one from a Porsche dealer. Hence, to my way of thinking, this is simply a way of insuring you are not buying a KNOWN problem. Costly but the cost of a Porsche mistake can be high indeed.

With a used car, it is the things that you cannot see or hear that often bite you.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joji
I did the carfax report. everything was good on there. He had it serviced once a year plus normal oil etc servicing. I have to check on Monday with the Porsche dealer for maitanance and warranty records. Do they charge you for that. I am not tryinig to be cheap but the guy lives far away. It cost me almost a $100 in gas and tolls today to see it. If I have to do a PPI and pay for Dealer papers I might be up to $300 just to figure out if it is damaged. Maybe I should move on and find another seller unless someone has an idea about the sound coming from the gas spout area when the AC is on.
Maybe it is a common thing. easy to fix. or maybe not.

The price is very good and it is loaded .

but a messed up car will definetly cost more in the loong run.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:24 AM   #7

I found another one that is from a dealer. How do you do a PPI with a dealer. Everytime I call them they say they will do it for me. That sounds like a scam if the person trying to sell me the car is going to have his mechanics do the PPI.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:57 AM   #8

Are we talking a Porsche dealer or simply another type of dealer? It this were MY Porsche dealership, I would not have any issues with them doing the PPI on a car they were selling me.

However, I have a long history with these guys and know them to be straight up!

Keep posting and we will try to assist you.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:27 AM   #9

Same boat...

I am in the same boat right now - I had a 2000 selling private inspected at a dealer in Dallas this week. Came out all relatively good. I had a good chat to the guy who inspected it, and he gave me some good peice of mind about the condition of the car. Concerns I have are things like the idle pulley, clutch condition, general engine condition, any evidence of crash. The only thing that came up as "orange spots" was the rear tyres (about 6 months left on them), and the front brake pads (70% worn through). I reflected this in the offer to the individual and he accepted.

The inspection was $125, and they looked over the car for around 2 hours. The only thing they didn't do (which would have cost me around another $100) was to hook it to the computer - I was informed by them (and by another reliable source of mine later on) that this wasn't worth it, as if there were any codes up, it would show with the engine light.

So I fully recommend the pre purchase inspection. Realise that you probably won't find a perfect 2000 car with 45000 miles on it - what you are aiming for is the minor things to fix.... good luck!!
kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:55 PM   #10

the delar who is selling the porshe is a regular car dealer not a porsche dealer. If i get a PPI before I buy it arent they going to bull**************** me so I buy the car. Can I bring the car to an authorized porsche dealer. How do take care of this so I know the mechanic is really telling me the truth.
thanks
Old 08-22-2005, 04:46 AM   #11

Definitely take it to an authorized dealer. They will put it on the lift and give a 40 point (or similar) type inspection. Will cost around $100-$125. As indicated previously, unless the engine warning light is on, don't worry about hooking it to the computer - $100 not well spent.

If the car salesman will not allow you to do this, walk away from it. There are plenty more out there.....
kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:57 AM   #12

Kiwi is dead on.

Any Porsche dealer will do PPI though prices vary (mine changes $230). They should give you a written report.

If the dealer will not let you take it to Porsche, tell him nicely to shove it!

Opps, sorry for the nasty there; I hope the moderator does not slap me for this??????????/

Old 08-22-2005, 09:20 AM   #13

Thanks for the info. So they will let me drive it off there lot to drive a half hour to the porsche dealer.
also they always make you sign as is for a used car. I read an article that dealers give you 30 day or 5 day return policy. Is this true or are used cars as is only. I am talking about cars with no warranty left
thanks
Old 08-22-2005, 11:02 AM   #14

Depends on the dealer. If the state law allows cars to be sold as is with no cooling off period (as does CA) then the dealer cannot be made to do otherwise.

However, this issue is negotiable and so if he wants to sell the car, he is FREE to provide a warranty and/or give you a "trial period", if he so chooses.

That is purely between you and the dealer.