Thread: Used Boxster
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Joji

Used Boxster

Hi,
I checked out a used boxster today. It is a 2000 model with 45k miles. It felt normal driving it. The paint job was good. Most stuff was in very good shape. I did have three problems that I wanted to see what you guys think. The biggest problem which seems very serious was when I started the car, The air conditioner came on. when it was on low there was some noise. When you pushed up the manual air intensity the compressor kicked it making it noisier. It seems noisier than a normal car. But I assume it is because the acoustic are so small. But then the biggy
a Loud sound that sound like when you rub your finger around a wine glass and it makes that hollow tone. It randomly started doing that on and off. It was very loud. I noticed it seemed loudest by where you put the gas in. It might just me echoing through the car.
The seller said he brought it to a porsche authorized dealer and they said there is nothing wrong with the AC except the Vacume tube sometimes needs to be adjusted which causes this noise.

Does this sound like it makes sense or do you think the compressor is shot and needs to be replace. This could be very expensive.

Next the tail pipe was very rusty and also the metal underneath the car was pretty rusty. The car mostly stayed in florida near the beach. There was a year and a half where it was in NY. I thought maybe it was from the humidity from being near the beach and maybe left outside when it snowed a lot in ny. Maybe the snow rusted under neath. Let me know if the rust is a problem or is there a way to clean it. especially the tail pipe. I will upload some pictures later.
Underneath you don't see but I don't know if problems will come up later because of this.

The third was typical. There was a nail in the back right tire smack in the middle. I am not sure if you can plug these tires. let me know if this needs to be replaced. It sound like one tire on these cars are expensive.

Thanks for your help
Joji is offline   Reply With Quote