Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

spark plugs-help

Hi Guys,

I want to change my spark plugs (00' 986 S)

-what are the best plugs to buy and where?
-where can I find the best instructions for the process?

thanks!

de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 AM   #2

You can choose the plugs from the list here PelicanParts.com - 2000 Porsche Boxster S Convertible - Basic Maintenance

They are all Bosch. I think I bought the Platinum +4.

Install instructions here.

Porsche Boxster Spark Plugs and Coils Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

There is also a Bentley manual and projects 101 book that folks use as maintenance guides.

Last edited by Muzzle of Bees; 06-26-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Muzzle of Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

Make sure you have a local source for the tubes before you start.Some may be leaking/cracked.
Make/buy a tool to extract the tubes .Bolt+washer is the best IMHO.Details in Search.
You also need a very reliable ,small, click or beep torque wrench - be very careful not to overtorque .No anti-seize ! I use an aircraft mechanics 1/4" drive.
Inspect the coil packs with a lens after you have cleaned them thoroughly- look for small hairline cracks.
Number the H.T. leads - easy to muddle some of them.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice, would replacing the tubes+ O-rings not be a good idea for peace of mind?, I see they are not too expensive. And what about the plug connectors, are these prone to deteriorate?

thanks!
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #5

Look for oil leakage around the tubes. If it is dry,leave well alone.
Connector is part of the coil.Cracks are the issue to check for on the coil.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

Garage
plugs

Pedros Porsche DIY site has an excellent tutorial on changing the spark plug tubes.
rem503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #7

thanks for all the good advice. I will do a thorough inspection of all parts for defects, it seems this is key. Once I have tackled the job, I post on how difficult i thought it was.