Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #1

Low Milage Clutch Issue

Hi Everyone,

I bought a 2003 base 2.7 last year and have not had any problems with it. The car has 21k miles on it and was taken care of by the previous owner. After getting use to the car I would open her up more. One thing that I have noticed that when the car is warm, like on a hot day or in traffic, if I try to take off fast it feels like the clutch does not fully engage. Basically the wheels wont spin on hard launches when very warm. If it is a coolish day and after it has reached full temperature I have no problems - even if I had been driving for an hour or two. Mind you I don't drive like this all the time only occasionally.

I have tried the 3rd - 4th gear tests and the car does die. I get no slipping when punching it on the expressway. All in all the clutch pedal feels fine and the car acts normally except for hard launches when hot. The temperature gauge always remains a tick above 180 and has never been in the danger zone so to speak.

Having bought the car used I do not know how the previous owner drove the car and am worried that there may be premature wear on the clutch. I had also thought that possibly there may be moisture in the hydraulic line causing the clutch to not fully engage when hot - moisture expanding. The pedal feels fine though. I have search this and other forums and have not found any mention of anything similar.

Advise or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

DAP986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #2

Garage
Brake fluid, which is also the clutch fluid should be flushed & bled of air every 2 years. You should have this done.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #3

+1 flush the fluid

You car also has a plastic slave cylinder for the clutch, they don't like heat. I have NO idea why Porsche went with this (its used in the Audi's and VW's that share the Boxster 5 speed)

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #4

You should be able to feel if the clutch is slipping, Do the RPM rise when this happens (slipping), or does it just bog down and not spin the tires? Are the tires just gripping better on hot days?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #5

Thanks everyone!

I know the fluid was flushed and bled about 4 years ago so I will have this done and see if it makes a difference.

With regards to bogging down or slipping. When its not 'hot' out the wheels spin without an issue. When hot (not overheating mind out) it will slip slightly and the wheels will not spin. You can smell the clutch afterwards when this happens.

With regards to the slave cylinder being plastic should I have this changed - what particularly would I be looking for when checking it. Is there a metal version I should get instead since I will be having the system flushed? BTW there are absolutely no leaks whatsoever and runs perfectly outside of this.

Thanks again everyone,

Derek

DAP986 is offline   Reply With Quote