View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
DAP986

Low Milage Clutch Issue

Hi Everyone,

I bought a 2003 base 2.7 last year and have not had any problems with it. The car has 21k miles on it and was taken care of by the previous owner. After getting use to the car I would open her up more. One thing that I have noticed that when the car is warm, like on a hot day or in traffic, if I try to take off fast it feels like the clutch does not fully engage. Basically the wheels wont spin on hard launches when very warm. If it is a coolish day and after it has reached full temperature I have no problems - even if I had been driving for an hour or two. Mind you I don't drive like this all the time only occasionally.

I have tried the 3rd - 4th gear tests and the car does die. I get no slipping when punching it on the expressway. All in all the clutch pedal feels fine and the car acts normally except for hard launches when hot. The temperature gauge always remains a tick above 180 and has never been in the danger zone so to speak.

Having bought the car used I do not know how the previous owner drove the car and am worried that there may be premature wear on the clutch. I had also thought that possibly there may be moisture in the hydraulic line causing the clutch to not fully engage when hot - moisture expanding. The pedal feels fine though. I have search this and other forums and have not found any mention of anything similar.

Advise or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek
DAP986 is offline   Reply With Quote