Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 10:49 AM   #1

Need Help tempature light flashing

Ever since last weekend, the tempature light flashes on-off, sometimes if I re-start the car it would stops, I checked the coolent lvl, it shows little above min, is the low coolent lvl sensor that sensitive? Even if its above min, it warns of being low coolent? If the flash is caused due to low lvl coolent, then I will simply add OEM coolent mixing half water. Or can I just abit of distilled water to top it off?

On the manual it also states that it might be a faulty engine compartment blower fan, I am affraid if that is the case? Is this common to our cars?

Last edited by TECH986ART; 08-18-2005 at 11:01 AM.
TECH986ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #2

Before you start working with the fan, fill it up to "Max" when it's cold and see if the light goes away. If the light goes out, watch the tank when it's cold to see if the level changes.

I don't know if it's common, but my engine compartment temp sensor was out. I got the flashing light and the coolant was fine so I pulled the engine compartment fan and connected it strait to the battery. Fan worked so I replaced the relay (cheap at Radio Shack) to see if it would come on, but no go. Finally, I fiddled around and found the sensor and replaced it and all is good.

If you run the car and it's above 195 coolant temp, turn the A/C on full blast and see if your engine compartment fan comes on. It's on the right (passenger) side behind the door. You can feel and hear it if it's running. If not, you probably have a bad fan, bad temp sensor or bad relay.

The fan's easy to get out, only one 10mm nut holds it in and the wiring harness clips to it. You only have to open the engine compartment to get it out. Relay is in the rear trunk (http://www.theschillings.com/boxrelay.htm for charts) and the temp sensor is on the right side held in with a grommet that's stuck in the "spider" directly in front of the fan.

If the fan works and you are still slowly loosing coolant, pull the carpet up in the rear trunk and see if there are signs of the coolant tank leak that is common.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to jscrimsh Send a message via Yahoo to jscrimsh
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Finally, I fiddled around and found the sensor and replaced it and all is good.
Which sensor did you replace? Was it the Coolant sensor found on the bottom drivers side of the engine? I have the same issue and believe its the sensor, but want to make sure before I spend money for parts that have to be ordered...

Do you happen to have an OEM part number as well? When I checked a few parts places, they couldn't do anything without the OEM number.. A few others had the coolant sensor for anywhere from $14-$25. If that's the right sensor, then I figure that's and easy enough thing to do
jscrimsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #4

Hi,

didn't thoroughly read the previous posts, so I may be off base, but isn't there a low coolant sensor inserted into the coolant reservoir? I would think this is the place to start. Lots of Luksosova tonight, so maybe not...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

didn't thoroughly read the previous posts, so I may be off base, but isn't there a low coolant sensor inserted into the coolant reservoir? I would think this is the place to start. Lots of Luksosova tonight, so maybe not...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Yes, if the coolant is right at the minimum level, it is probably going to trigger the sensor. It is probably very close to it's range, so that is probably why it is on sometimes and off others. Fill with coolant first (with a cold car), and see if that does it. If not, then replace your sensor. I think the coolant will take care of it.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrimsh
Which sensor did you replace? Was it the Coolant sensor found on the bottom drivers side of the engine? I have the same issue and believe its the sensor, but want to make sure before I spend money for parts that have to be ordered...

Do you happen to have an OEM part number as well? When I checked a few parts places, they couldn't do anything without the OEM number.. A few others had the coolant sensor for anywhere from $14-$25. If that's the right sensor, then I figure that's and easy enough thing to do
Mine was the sensor that is found in the engine compartment, not the coolant temp sensor. It sits in a rubber gromet that is snapped in the "spider" on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I can get a part number for the '00 model off of it when I get home if you still need it.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #7

My temp gauge light went off after I had some body work done on the car, dust from the work done must have gotten in the engine compartment, and caused the engine sensor to malfunction. A little cleaner fluid spray and it was good to go....I also had the problem with the temp sensor with the coolant tank when the hose was leaking. I remember mine going off in this instance when the coolant got somewhere a bit below the minimum line, so like PorscheDoc said, you're right at the point where the temp gauge light should be going off.....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #8

Yes, the part no would be great. I have checked the coolant levels, and that does not appear to be the issue... Refilled the coolant and its not dropping, but the light still comes on, and I don't hear the engine compartment fan running. Intermittently, the fan does work... At those points, the light does not come on.

My other thought was a relay, so I replaced that, and the light stayed off for 2 days, so I figured that it may be a loose wire / connection. I checked all of those, and they appear to be good... Next step is to replace the sensor.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #9

Thanks for the tip... Unfortunatley it doesn't appear to be related to the coolant level so much as the actual temperature... I have filled the reservoir and confirmed that it hasn't gone down at all; no apparent leaks or other causes there.