Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #21

I had a very similar problem recently. I replaced the inner tie rod and it was fixed. No more shaking or feeling of imbalance at 70mph+.

ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
I had a very similar problem recently. I replaced the inner tie rod and it was fixed. No more shaking or feeling of imbalance at 70mph+.
Thanks projectm96 for that info. I had all that checked so we will see what happens with the new tires. Waiting for the call now.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #23

Thumbs up Tires tires tires

Well, just came back from the shop and after 6 months of vibrations at 68-70+ mph I have finally removed the shake from my car. Called around for a shop that does the Road Force work as previously recommended and found that my local shop has one. Scheduled the appt and took the car in today. They put the car up on the lift and inspected all the suspension/bushings and bearings then got to work on the wheels. Wheels were fine too. Tires were getting choppy on the inside (from the vibration of course) so the shop called me and we tried another set of Federal tires (what I had on it already). Guess what ?? Same problem. So we tried a set of Michelin Pilots on the front only and the shop called me down for another ride and BINGO. Car now rides like it should. Two new fronts on now and the rears are on the way (on order).

Took car up and down the expressway from 60-85 with NO VIBRATION at all. Its the real deal. Now I cant wait to go on a road trip.

Thanks to all for the help.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #24

Check over on the general discussions section and do a search for "tire problems".
I posted a similar problem recently and chased the monkey for 4 months. I was just about to buy new rims for the front (tire place told me I had bent rims) when I took the car to a tire store with a road force balancer. They gave me back my car in less than an hour and it ran really smooth. The also found a new tire on the rear that had a high spot in it (Michelin Pilot Sports). Replaced and now all the vibration is gone. Drives smooth as silk.
P.S. I ask the guy who did the balance what he did to make the shakes go away. He just smiled at me and said "I'm just damn good at what I do". End of questions. I just drove it home with a big smile on my face.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
Check over on the general discussions section and do a search for "tire problems".
I posted a similar problem recently and chased the monkey for 4 months. I was just about to buy new rims for the front (tire place told me I had bent rims) when I took the car to a tire store with a road force balancer. They gave me back my car in less than an hour and it ran really smooth. The also found a new tire on the rear that had a high spot in it (Michelin Pilot Sports). Replaced and now all the vibration is gone. Drives smooth as silk.
P.S. I ask the guy who did the balance what he did to make the shakes go away. He just smiled at me and said "I'm just damn good at what I do". End of questions. I just drove it home with a big smile on my face.
FT 52 - Thats basically the same response I had today. I told them I wouldnt pay until they could find the problem. He said it was simple, I noticed you had cheap directional tires and after inspecting all the suspension components it was a simple solution - put some good tires on and check it out. By checking it out he made me take him on the highway to 85-90 with NO VIBES. Thats one confident guy.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #26

FullThrottle - forgot to say to be safe. Your in KY right? Hope your safe from the storms.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #27

We had to hunker down in a basement today for about 2 hours. 15 miles north of us got hit pretty bad. Whole town pretty much wiped out. Worst of the storms went just north of us in Southern Indiana and another bad cell went about 20 miles south. We were very lucky that Louisville did not take a direct hit.
Did get pretty hairy though.

Thanks for asking.

P.S. I'm glad you solved your problems. I will only put OEM tires on from now on. Cheap tires will cost you in the long run.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #28

Take it to your Porsche dealer for the balancing and alignment check up. I had a bad experience with this problem. I went to STS since I needed tires on a Saturday he sold me Kuhmos' What a disaster that turned out to be. Once I got on the highway the car was shaking like it was coming apart. I bring it back for adjustment and again the same problem. I went to my dealer and I asked to take a look at the problem. The culprit was that STS used the wrong weights and installed them in the wrong location. Last time ever I took my car for alignment to anyone other than Porsche.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #29

I skimmed the post but did not see the word alignment. Is the car properly set up with an aligment. ? My car had this when I bought it and it needed new tires and the ALIGNMENT was what fixed it. Bob
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobob View Post
I skimmed the post but did not see the word alignment. Is the car properly set up with an aligment. ? My car had this when I bought it and it needed new tires and the ALIGNMENT was what fixed it. Bob
Motobob, I think most have had the alignment done as a first step but this shake still continued. It was not a low speed shake as in several of the cases here. Mine (and a few others on here) had shaking at 67-70mph then it got progressively worse. Bad TIRES were the culprit for me. It was the last thing for me to try (since it was the most expensive) without replacing suspension components.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #31

I see I skimmed too lightly; :-) glad your problem was fixed. New Tires were the answer for me as well in 2008. Bob
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #32

STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM

Well, i looked at my suspension and saw that the right side was pretty well worn out (car was in a small accident and all suspension on right front was replaced with used parts)...they must have found a high mileage 986 to take from : /. So, i began the fixing. I replaced the wishbone and trac bar. New inner tie rod end is on its way as i noticed they didn't change the inner tie rod (its a little bent). Took strut out and tested it, its working great. Could the inner tie rod that be the sole problem? I don't know how it could as its not a spinning part, only controls turning. UGH...headache to say the least.

Don't reply telling me to contact the shop it was done at, trust me, i want nothing to do with them whatsoever.

ALSO- i put new rotors on the front recently (post shaking problem) and noticed it got worse. I looked at the rotors and noticed they don't line up perfectly (to the naked eye) to the hub. It seems the recessed, tapered, screw holes aren't perfect.

DOES ANYONE DO OR SELL HONEST WORK OR PARTS ANYMORE!?
anti-bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #33

Fixed!!!!
It had nothing to do with the rotors that I was complaining about in my last post. I replaced the wishbone, control arm, and inner tie rod. Then took it to a very highly recommended shop and had them change the rear tires and balance/4-wheel alignment. It drives like new!

As Pedro brought up in the beginning, the tires were PART of the problem. Rears were very very worn on the inside, which caused some o the car vibration. The rest...I'll never know exactly as I replaced almost everything up front .
anti-bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-bling View Post
Fixed!!!!
It had nothing to do with the rotors that I was complaining about in my last post. I replaced the wishbone, control arm, and inner tie rod. Then took it to a very highly recommended shop and had them change the rear tires and balance/4-wheel alignment. It drives like new!

As Pedro brought up in the beginning, the tires were PART of the problem. Rears were very very worn on the inside, which caused some o the car vibration. The rest...I'll never know exactly as I replaced almost everything up front .
Nice. Now we are both ready to ROLL. Glad you fixed it. Interesting that we both had similar issues/shaking concerns and different solutions but the SAME result. Go figure.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #35

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 03:17 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
are the hub/wheelhub surfaces cleaned properly when refitting the wheels?
I checked that on mine madmods. Cleaned everything while it was apart. Scrubbed and cleaned the inside of each wheel as well so now there as shiny on the inside as they are on the outside.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #37

Take the wheels back off.. and tape the weights on. 99% of the tire places out there spend 3sec cleaning the spot where they install the sticky weight. Tape them on (unless you keep your wheels spotless and the tire guy didn't have to clean) << not likely

We use a silver metal tape

Glad to hear Louisville is ok. My grandparents lived their, and we had a family farm in Eminence for nearly 100 years.

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #38

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 03:17 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote