986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Shaking over 70 mph, soooo confused (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/34149-shaking-over-70-mph-soooo-confused.html)

anti-bling 02-29-2012 12:57 PM

Shaking over 70 mph, soooo confused

As the title says, my 986 1997 shakes like it needs a balance over 70 mph. I have had all 4 wheels balanced numerous times and rechecked more. Tire pressures are the same and good...I don't know what it could be. It's deffinately not the engine or trans. Steeringwheel shakes and car occasionally shakes. Gets progressive with more speed. Should I try another balance shop?

ppbon 02-29-2012 01:06 PM

You should also check...

Quote:

Originally Posted by anti-bling (Post 280387)
As the title says, my 986 1997 shakes like it needs a balance over 70 mph. I have had all 4 wheels balanced numerous times and rechecked more. Tire pressures are the same and good...I don't know what it could be. It's deffinately not the engine or trans. Steeringwheel shakes and car occasionally shakes. Gets progressive with more speed. Should I try another balance shop?

... the tire's tread.
It could have a bulge or the wheel could be damaged.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

thstone 02-29-2012 03:11 PM

I hear you. I had to have my tires balanced three times before they actually got it right.

The last time I asked the manager to tell the tech to spend an extra minute and be sure that he got the balance right for high speed running.

Also be sure and ask for them to use the glue on weights that balance the wheel in two axis (axes?) and not the cheap crimp on weight on the inner wheel lip.

97 Boxster 02-29-2012 03:15 PM

I have the same problem and am looking for answers. I need to have a rebalance done asap as this 70mph shimmy bugs me like crazy.

BYprodriver 02-29-2012 03:20 PM

Let your fingers do the walking & call the shop first & ask if they will do a " dual plane backside dynamic balance to 1 gram tolerance with stickon weights" if they can't or won't keep searching.

manolo 02-29-2012 03:28 PM

Is the car modified at all? I chased a similar issue that turned out to be lower quality front spacers. Even after balancing the problem remained. I will only use H&R's now, lesson learned. I also noticed some vibration at freeway speeds before I replaced frt engine mount, but that won't cause steering wheel to shake. Just FYI.

97 Boxster 02-29-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 280412)
Let your fingers do the walking & call the shop first & ask if they will do a " dual plane backside dynamic balance to 1 gram tolerance with stickon weights" if they can't or won't keep searching.

Thanks byprodriver. I will call around. Is this type of setup familiar to shops?

anti-bling 02-29-2012 04:28 PM

Tread is good and no bulge. I can't believe how many others have this problem!!! It sucks ;). I'm going to try a more well known tire place and let you all know.

BYprodriver 02-29-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97 Boxster (Post 280425)
Thanks byprodriver. I will call around. Is this type of setup familiar to shops?

With the current trend of hiring cheap inexperienced labor maybe not, but should be part of balancing 101. Dynamic balancing measures lateral or side to side balance as well as static or up & down balance & is indicated by having weights on inner & outer edge of the wheel. Backside means all weights are positioned behind the "face" of the wheel.

jacabean 02-29-2012 05:14 PM

check your suspension , something might be worn out.

chaudanova 02-29-2012 07:56 PM

Perhaps try a Road force balance on a Hunter GSP9700...

anti-bling 02-29-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacabean (Post 280433)
check your suspension , something might be worn out.

It's possible, but I wouldn't know which component to check...any advice on what part of the suspension would cause my problem?

ed.w 02-29-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anti-bling (Post 280465)
It's possible, but I wouldn't know which component to check...any advice on what part of the suspension would cause my problem?

it happened to me before when i drove at 90km/hr+... i tried over 230km/hrs and felt like i'm driving a boat on a lake.

I had this bad experience after i installed a replica wheels.
you can try to ask the shop to do wheel/tyre alignment with a tools that looks exactly u put on your car with 5 screws on. (don't use the center cap hole for wheel/tyre alignment)

If this problem keeps coming out, try to change your wheel and test again.

in my case, i finally install an original 18" wheel from 987.

97 Boxster 03-01-2012 12:02 PM

Just set up a road force balance with my local shop.

landrovered 03-01-2012 01:02 PM

Checking for worn components is easy, jack the wheels one at a time (unless you have a lift) check for play at 12&6 and then 3&9

chaudanova 03-01-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97 Boxster (Post 280566)

Good deal, these usually seem to help a lot. Hope this works for you!

onaFLYer 03-01-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97 Boxster (Post 280566)

might want to also loosen all the lugs and tighten criss-cross at 20lb intervals. I had a similar problem last year, and it seems to have been the difference with mine. ymmv

jaykay 03-01-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 280412)

man was there a time when I needed these words ready to roll of my tongue!

UNYboater 03-01-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppbon (Post 280388)
... the tire's tread.
It could have a bulge or the wheel could be damaged.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Hmmm, voice of experience? ;)
I saw your pictures on your site... :D I'm hoping to join you one of these years!

I do hope the balancing takes care of it, though.

97 Boxster 03-02-2012 09:55 AM

UPDATE : Car has been at a Road Force shop with the proper gear and its NOT the what we thought:confused:. Looks like the tires might be the culprit as previously mentioned. Shop said that Heavy "V" directional tires might be to blame. Has anybody heard this before? They are going to put 2 tires on the front and we are going to give that a go and see if it works:). If so I will update.

Current tires are have a very aggressive V pattern now so I am having shop place a good low pro non directional tire on to see how that improves the "SHAKES".