Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #1

986 Boxster Dashboard not working.

Hi, I have a year 2000 Boxster S with bit of a problem.

I bought one of the LED Spoiler indicator buttons off fleabay and attempted to fit it today.

Disconnected the battery, took the dashboard to pieces as per their instructions perfectly.. first problem, the instructions say the connector blocks for up to 07/2001 models are black, white and blue and that 08/2001 onwards are grey, blue and green. My car is a 2000 model but the connector blocks were grey, blue and green.
So I figured follow the instructions for the latter, got the plug connectors off, all the wires were the right colours for the pin numbers they said so tapped into the connector blocks (although it was fiddly getting the block out and back into the holder), got them all back together and figured I would test it before screwing the dash all back together. Reconnected the battery, started the car and the fuel gauge had the light flashing and wasnt registering any fuel even though I knew there was some in and the oil level indicator was staying on constantly and scrolling. Pressed the manual spoiler switch in the footwell and the new switch lit up solid, not flashing as it said it would when raising. Grr.

Decided to put it back to stock to see if everything worked fine again. (but I forgot to disconnect the battery first), took the plug connectors off again, removed the wiring for the spoiler switch and refitted the connector blocks back into the clocks as before.
Turned the ignition on and nothing lit up. Now I have no display at all, no miles, rev counter, temp, fuel, warning lights, clock..nothing.. the only thing that works on the display is the right indicator. The manual button for the spoiler doesnt work either. The lights on warning buzzer doesn't work with the door open now, nor does the auto lock work but I think that is because there is no power to the clocks. apart from that the car runs fine and everything works as normal just no dash at all.

Tried disconnecting the battery, taking the dash connectors back off, refitting and reconnecting the battery but nothing. Checked the B1 and B10 fuses but they are fine as well.

Help

Mr_Brightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #2

Right, we have some progress. I took the connector block out of the green block to check the power and earth ones..all fine. Thought I would try plugging it directly back in rather than putting it back in the green case as the locking mechanism is a bit flimsy and we have most of the dash back.

In fact its back to how it was after I first switched it on after fitting the LED switch... so.. the oil level indicator does not tell me how much oil is in the car when i put the ignition on, it just flashes for about 30 seconds and then goes off, fuel light is still flashing like its life depends on it and gauge not moving (even put more fuel in just in case), main beam blue bulb does not light up, oh and the orange low screenwash light is on, despite it being full.

Everything else works perfectly, spoiler raises and lowers off the switch, doors lock when you hit 5mph, speedo, revs etc all function apart from the above problems which appeared when switch first fitted.
Mr_Brightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #3

I just reassembled the same area and was sickened when absolutely nothing on the gauge pod worked when I turned it on. Upon investigation the green block (far right one on left hand drive cars) wasn't seated right because of the flimsy lock that you described. It plugs in really deep. If the lock isn't holding due to a busted plastic tab, you will have to makeshift an alternate method of holding it in.
Mine's fine now. Beat of luck.