Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #1

Engine Dead - Need help

I posted recently that my 1997 Boxster with 52k miles died. I was driving along and the car started hiccuping. By the time I got to my office it started hiccuping bad and the CEL came on and the engine died. I towed it home. I have a code reader and this is what it said.

P0300 Misfire Dmg to Cat
P0301 Misfire Cyl 1 - Cat Damage
P0304 Misfire Cyl 4 - Cat Damage
P1313 Misfire Cyl 1 - Emissions Related
P1316 Misfire Cyl 4 - Emissions Related
P1319 Misfire - Emissions Related

I changed the spark plugs and the coils. The plugs in cylinders 1 and 4 were darker than the other 4. I also put in a brand new MAF. The engine turns over and sounds like it wants to start, but it just won't catch. I pulled a spark plug and it appears to be getting fuel to the cylinder. This weekend I plan on removing the oil filter and cutting it open to inspect that just in case this is a dreaded bigger problem.

Any other ideas? It appears the engine is not getting ignition. What could be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #2

Could be the crank position sensor. If it is bad the DME can't determine when to fire sparks, so it doesn't bother and your engine won't run.

A simpler thing to try first -- ignition switch. Have you had any difficulty turning and removing the key recently?
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #3

Crank Position Sensor.....hmmmmm.

Thanks for the reply, this is really frustrating to chase down.

The ignition switch appears to be working as normal. It will turn over the engine and the accessories come on as they should. Is there any tell-tale signs of a failing switch I should look for?

As far as the Crank Position Sensor, I will search the forums and do my homework on that.
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
Old 01-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #4

Still not running.....

Okay, so now I have pulled the oil filter and inspected. Nothing floating around except used oil (that's good right?). I have replaced the Crank Position Sensor. I am running out of ideas and trying to sort this out.

1. Changed the plugs and coils and note that Cyl 1 & 4 plugs appear dark. Replaced
the o-rings and one tube.

2. I changed the MAF with a brand new Bosch.

3. Removed oil filter and found nothing visible in the oil or the filter.

4. Replaced the Crank Position Sensor.

Any other ideas?

I am also concerned about the amount of oil on the bottom of the motor that is seeping near the transmission area. With 52k miles I am thinking about doing the clutch soon and I planned on the LN upgrade while I had the transmission out. Could the bearing be seeping and gumming things up and causing the car to not run?
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
Old 01-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrunkSteve
Okay, so now I have pulled the oil filter and inspected. Nothing floating around except used oil (that's good right?). I have replaced the Crank Position Sensor. I am running out of ideas and trying to sort this out.

1. Changed the plugs and coils and note that Cyl 1 & 4 plugs appear dark. Replaced
the o-rings and one tube.

2. I changed the MAF with a brand new Bosch.

3. Removed oil filter and found nothing visible in the oil or the filter.

4. Replaced the Crank Position Sensor.

Any other ideas?

I am also concerned about the amount of oil on the bottom of the motor that is seeping near the transmission area. With 52k miles I am thinking about doing the clutch soon and I planned on the LN upgrade while I had the transmission out. Could the bearing be seeping and gumming things up and causing the car to not run?
Sounds like you should pull the trans & check the IMS bearing Now. The bearing can be worn enough to cause the engine to missfire. Check LNengineering website for approved installers.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #6

Thanks!

I agree that it may be time. I'm just confused about how the IMS could be causing this ignition issue. It turns over fine and there was nothing in the oil. Since there is so much muck in that area I am thinking the update is due now, but I would like to know the motor will run again before I start throwing money at the cluth and bearing upgrade.

If the motor is toast I have to have a serious talk with the wife. I'd like to know where I stand before I start removing the transmission. I'm just a backyard mechanic with average skills and a healthy dose of bravery. So far I've managed to maintain this and repair everything with the help of this board and the Pelican board, however, at some point I think I have to get this to a pro.
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
Old 01-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #7

Have you checked for new fault codes since you replaced the plugs / coils and deleted the old fault codes??
Old 01-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #8

I did clear the faults after I replaced the plugs, coil and MAF. This thing has me stumped.
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
Old 01-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #9

You ask how the IMS can affect the timing

The timing chain that drives the cams goes around the teeth attached to the IMS (recall that the IMS is an intermediate shaft used to translate crankshaft motion to camshaft motion though the IMS term is often used as shorthand for the bearing in the forums). If the bearing gets loose, it can cause the chain to jump a tooth and the timing to be out. One of the ways of telling if the IMS is worn and wiggling is to compare the camshafts timing.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #10

Garage
I suspect you may have a IMS bearing problem. Knowledgeable boxster owners are always looking for a good time to inspect their IMS bearing since this is the only way to know it's actual condition. Sounds like this is a "good" time for you. Your OK oil filter is a good sign.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #11

Wahoooo!!!!

After all the stress and worry, I finally took it to a shop. One new fuel pump later and it ran! The indy mechanic tells me the original was putting out 0-30 lbs of pressure. I'm hoping to tidy up a few other maintenace items and I'm working on a price for a new clutch and the LN Engineering bearing upgrade. Hopefully it will be something reasonable and I'll have her back on the road.

I can't wait, it's been 3 months!
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #12

Garage
Good for you, failed fuelpumps seem to be the problem of the year so far!

I should check my fuel pressure.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #13

Hey Steve what became of this? I ask because my 97 base just cut out (got towed home) - it starts but then the engine immediately dies and I'm wondering where to start in fixing it.
fd4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #14

Sorry didn't see the most recent replies.
fd4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #15

Garage
This thread is EXACTLY the kind of result we from "Tick tick bang" ad campaigns and IMS hysteria. I am really sorry to see that all roads lead to the IMS and the info on this forum must now be considered as tainted and suspect.

Forum members throw out a few suggestions and when they run out of ideas then go to the hail mary and tell the poor sod it is his IMS and oh yeah your motor might be toast.

Guy says what does this have to do with ignition and all he gets is crickets. Pathetic, really pathetic.

Glad you got your fuel pump fixed.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #16

Garage
I must make a few adjustments to my previous comment.

An explanation of how the IMS can cause jumped timing was given and was plausible so it was not just crickets.

Other than that I stand by my rant.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #17
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
I must make a few adjustments to my previous comment.

An explanation of how the IMS can cause jumped timing was given and was plausible so it was not just crickets.

Other than that I stand by my rant.
Good on u Landrovered for maintaining sanity and commonsense in the face of adversity. It is always good to have different opinions and sometimes that is what it takes to get the job done. Being outspoken is a good quality as there tends to be so much consensus thinking nowadays. Also credit goes to the original poster for his persistence and in the end taking his p car to an indy repair shop. That is why I love this forum. Kind of like neighbors that I have not met.:dance:
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #18

I really hope my engine will never be hiccuping
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
This thread is EXACTLY the kind of result we from "Tick tick bang" ad campaigns and IMS hysteria. I am really sorry to see that all roads lead to the IMS and the info on this forum must now be considered as tainted and suspect.

Forum members throw out a few suggestions and when they run out of ideas then go to the hail mary and tell the poor sod it is his IMS and oh yeah your motor might be toast.

Guy says what does this have to do with ignition and all he gets is crickets. Pathetic, really pathetic.

Glad you got your fuel pump fixed.
Guy also said :

"I am also concerned about the amount of oil on the bottom of the motor that is seeping near the transmission area. With 52k miles I am thinking about doing the clutch soon and I planned on the LN upgrade while I had the transmission out. Could the bearing be seeping and gumming things up and causing the car to not run? "

Car was misfiring, leading to non-start condition, leaking alot of oil between trans & engine & he is planning on replacing clutch & IMS bearing soon!

I would say the most pathetic thing here is your lack of reading comprehension but your usual habit of making overly negative comments is more pathetic & useless!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #20

Garage
Bypro,

This is not an isolated event or I would gladly apologize.