Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
Still Learning

Steering Rack question? help needed

Steering feels a little loose on my 2001 Boxster (90,000 miles). With wheels off the ground and right side tie rod removed, I can push or pull on left wheel and feel and hear a clunk. From under the car I can see the steering column where it is connected to the rack turn a little in either direction as I push and pull on wheel (or left tie rod). No leaks in steering rack. Can this play be adjusted out of rack?

Already dismantled entire right suspension to check ball joints and bushings. Replacing inner and outer tie rods, drop links and sway bar bushings (all 4 corners) because rubber is cracked slightly. All other rubber looks solid. New shocks too, but I don't expect this will solve play in steering rack. Advice is welcome.

Last edited by Icanfixit; 01-04-2012 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Learning how this web site works
Icanfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #2

One of the U joints *could* have some play in it.

Have you owned the car since new? This sounds like "leftovers" from a previous accident?

I have several columns and steering racks apart right now. Let me know if you need pics or not!!

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

On a related topic, is it possible to remove the power steering unit and convert the steering mechanism to a manual only? Anyone with experience with this, or guidance?
ElectricRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Matt

Why would you want to butcher your car? Get it fixed properly and drive safely.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster View Post
Why would you want to butcher your car? Get it fixed properly and drive safely.
I have a 99 Base with a bad engine. I'm planning on putting in an electric motor and need to conserve as much energy consumption as possible. Plus I won't have the engine to supply energy to the power steering unit, I would need to install an electrically driven PS unit. I'd prefer to convert to manual, IF it is feasible and IF it is safe. Any thoughts?
ElectricRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Matt

Gotcha. You can do it but you will have (I believe) pretty heavy steering. You can go au-natural with any power or power-assisted steering if that is the choice.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Registered Boxster abuser

Are you sure you do not have bad inner tie rod sockets?
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
Still Learning

I bought the car used with 32K miles. Car was hit on front right corner since I've owned it, no structural damage other than radiator bracket. Good shop did repair, but you may be right. Yes, I would love to see the pics of your steering rack. Didn't check it again this weekend when I was installing new shocks, inner and outer tie rods and drop links. Other than shocks that were gone, all other suspension ball joints were still tight and bushings were appeared to be in great shape. I'm new to 986 Forum I'm not sure how to pull up pics. Any instructions are appreciated.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
Still Learning

Actually they were still very tight, but I replaced them this weekend.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Brad Roberts; I have several columns and steering racks apart right now. Let me know if you need pics or not!!

B[/QUOTE]

Hello Brad,

it was a pleasure meeting you yesterday and thank you for offering to tap and install the AN fittings on my steering rack and aluminum lines.

I am planning to remove the rack and hydraulic lines on Sunday to bring them to your shop on Monday again, thanks again for the support.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering rack