Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #1

Accusump and sump extension?

Is the deep sump extension necessary with an accusump?

Just thinking about this for track use. I've read allot about oiling issues at the track and haven't taken mine to the track yet until I do something about it.

I read about the EBS baffle and one guy had said he did an endurance race at the Glenn with just the EBS baffle and had no issues with oil pressure. Which makes me wonder if that would be enough...??

brigark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #2

I have a .5qt deep sump kit on my '00 S. It is not just not enough for the track I drive on. LN engineering now make a 2qt kit(wasn't avaliable when I fitted mine). I am now planning to fit an accusump to resolve my problem.

I would start with installing a deep sump kit, it is easy and cheap enough to start with. On the boxsters the oil pick up sits off centre to the right, my track having 4 right turns and 1 left the oil is sitting on the left, when coming onto my back straight the oil surges and gets burnt with a huge cloud of white smoke coming out of the exhaust(not cool).

I did find when tracking the car with slightly less oil (3/4 on the dipstick) the problem gets slightly better. My mind is set on getting an accusump kit from LN, as it is a small price to pay for something that can cost you lots.

Depending on how you drive, (if you have r-compound tires etc) the deep sump kit might just be enough.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #3

I was just thinking about doing an accusump and EBS baffle. I'd think that would take care of the oiling problem. I guess my only question is do I still need the extra capacity of the sump extension.

I thought this topic would get more responses.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #4

Quote:
I thought this topic would get more responses.
Because it has been answered elsewhere.

Oil starvation

The key is baffling. An accusump helps when things go bad - a few more quarts of oil certainly won't solve the issue.
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #5

We spent quite a bit of 2011 developing a full line of products to help with oil starvation. I just got around to posting information over the Christmas holiday. Seems pertinent to the discussion, as many don't like running an Accusump. It's ironically on https://www.lnengineering.com/accusump.html
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #6

996 Swirl Pots

Charles,

Thanks for the compressive write-up. Very thorough as usual. I noticed you recomend changing to 987 sump return nozzles/tubes as oposed to the old swirl pots. I was wondering why as many feel that the older swirl pots do a better job and retro fit the old type on their Caymans
Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #7

I chose the Accusump as a solution after blowing up two M96 engines in my 02 Boxster S! Ultimately, I have opted for a 996T with a dry sump and now have my car for sale with the accusump installed. The problem is, most local buyers don't want or need it so I am just going to be giving it away as part of the car. I got it from Charles and use the Spin on filter adapter. Pretty straightforward install. I may be taking it off the car and trying to sell it separately if anyone has an interest. I installed it on the rear firewall to save my trunk space. Here's a pic:

Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #8

Accu

PM sent.....
onaFLYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Byron - could you post a clearer pic? From what I can tell, that looks like a really nice install and I'd like to see it better. Right now I'm only running the EBC baffle because all of the accusump installs that I have seen make the trunk pretty much unusable. Your approach to the install might hold some promise for me.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Byron - could you post a clearer pic? From what I can tell, that looks like a really nice install and I'd like to see it better. Right now I'm only running the EBC baffle because all of the accusump installs that I have seen make the trunk pretty much unusable. Your approach to the install might hold some promise for me.
Here ya go!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #11

interesting thread. interesting lne write-up. question: any reason why lne recommends deleting the oem oil cooler when installing an external cooler? thanks.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #12

so back to my original question...

if I do an accusump would I need a sump extension as well? I would think the the answer is no, but I haven't it seen it said anywhere.

I was thinking of doing the EBS baffle with the accump.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Crazy Austrian

Garage
here is the deal, in my opinion. the deepsump is usually put on as your experience on the track increases your corner speed. the deeper sump also includes and extension for the oil pick up which means there is more oil available as you pull more G's plus you have the baffles to constrain the oil in the pickup tube area. When you gain enough experience to go to say Hoosier track tires, by that time you will also need to go to accusump. It's all in how many G's you pull through corners. theoretically you don't need the deepsump if you have the accusump but it sure doesn't hurt. There are other side benefits such as with more oil in the system it should help keep it cooler. the X51 engine, for instance has both the baffles and larger oil pumps. do some more reading, check with some of the spec racer guys to find out what they are doing. I think you will find most of them run both.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
here is the deal, in my opinion. the deepsump is usually put on as your experience on the track increases your corner speed. the deeper sump also includes and extension for the oil pick up which means there is more oil available as you pull more G's plus you have the baffles to constrain the oil in the pickup tube area. When you gain enough experience to go to say Hoosier track tires, by that time you will also need to go to accusump. It's all in how many G's you pull through corners. theoretically you don't need the deepsump if you have the accusump but it sure doesn't hurt. There are other side benefits such as with more oil in the system it should help keep it cooler. the X51 engine, for instance has both the baffles and larger oil pumps. do some more reading, check with some of the spec racer guys to find out what they are doing. I think you will find most of them run both.
Agree with Harry...with Accusump, you get two more quarts of oil that get injected if the pressure falls below the set point, but the extra oil in the sump cannot hurt. I had LN .5 qt pan extension on my last engine that blew, but I think the engine was hosed when I got it. After 3 engine failures in Boxsters, I am a believer in dry sump or in lieu of that, an oil accumulator like the Accusump.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

Byron - thanks for the pics! Cleanest install that I've seen.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote