View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Byron in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
here is the deal, in my opinion. the deepsump is usually put on as your experience on the track increases your corner speed. the deeper sump also includes and extension for the oil pick up which means there is more oil available as you pull more G's plus you have the baffles to constrain the oil in the pickup tube area. When you gain enough experience to go to say Hoosier track tires, by that time you will also need to go to accusump. It's all in how many G's you pull through corners. theoretically you don't need the deepsump if you have the accusump but it sure doesn't hurt. There are other side benefits such as with more oil in the system it should help keep it cooler. the X51 engine, for instance has both the baffles and larger oil pumps. do some more reading, check with some of the spec racer guys to find out what they are doing. I think you will find most of them run both.
Agree with Harry...with Accusump, you get two more quarts of oil that get injected if the pressure falls below the set point, but the extra oil in the sump cannot hurt. I had LN .5 qt pan extension on my last engine that blew, but I think the engine was hosed when I got it. After 3 engine failures in Boxsters, I am a believer in dry sump or in lieu of that, an oil accumulator like the Accusump.