Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Question CEL (P1117), Any Advice?

Hello All,

My check engine light came on yesterday towards the end of an 1 hour cruise in my 2000 Boxster (67,000 miles). Earlier this year, I had a CEL (1128) that I reset after filling up with gas and a bottle of Techron. Until now, no problems. When the light came on yesterday, I was sure it was 1128 again. I bought a code reader this afternoon and found P1117 Fuel/Air Mixture. Anyone have any advice on where to begin with this code? As far as I can tell the car is still running good.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:16 AM   #2

It seems like the two codes are closely related. P1128 is "Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Rich Threshold".

Start by checking your vacuum hoses for leaks or cuts on the 1-3 side of the engine and move to the other side if you find none. Keep checking the codes each day you drive it and see if any others pop up.

If there are no vacuum leaks, it's probably a sensor. More likely an O2 sensor, but could be MAF.

Do you have an oiled air filter or stock? The oiled ones can cause big problems for the MAF if they are not oiled perfectly.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
John,

Thanks for the advice. I will look for an intake leak of some sort. Today I found a thread on another site that suggested in may be an after the cat O2 sensor. If I can't find anything wrong in the engine compartment, I guess I will replace 2 of the 4 O2 sensors. I have the stock air filter element.

Thanks again,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheGirl
I stopped on the way home from work at an autoparts store, and they plugged in and told me that it was code P1128.
How many miles do you have on the car?

Did they tell you what the code means? P1128 is " Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Rich Threshold". It's telling you the mixture is going beyond the rich threshold (too much gas in the mix). It can be caused by a few things, but it's usually one of the O2 sensors.

The guy at the auto parts store should be able to clear the code with his reader. If it's an ongoing problem, the light will come back on. If it's intermittent, it will stay off for awhile, but it's usually a sign that a sensor somewhere is going bad.

O2 sensors last about 100K miles so if you have more than that, you should have them all replaced anyway to avoid future headaches.

There are two ways to attack it, easy or cheap (relatively).

Easy: Take it to the mechanic and let him figure it out. Probably about $200-$300 in labor/diagnostics plus parts.

Cheap: Replace it yourself. You have to access the car from underneath to do it. If you want to DIY I can help you out with finding them and you can replace one at a time to see which one is bad.

O2 sensors are about $150-$200 each.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:20 AM   #5

For all you high mileage boxster owners out there (80k or up), start saving some cash for a set of O2 sensors and replace all four. Replacing one or two when they go bad will only yeild poor performance and more CE lights. So it's all four or nothing really.

MAF's seem to last longer for some owners, and I am going to wait unti mine dies or 100k, whichever comes first. If I hit 100k, I'll replace it regardless because I just don't like CE lights. Should I find one on Ebay cheap, I might just do it before then.

From what my mechanic tells me, replacing the MAF and all four oxygen sensors at the same time on a high mileage boxster is a good preventative maintenance item. It ain't cheap, but it insures that the car will run well, have no CE lights and the owner will not get freaked out when one (or four) is required at a whopping price a week before Christmas or any other time of year when you don't have the money to spend on it!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:35 AM   #6

Amen Randall!

Great advice.

One thing I'm looking for is a "generic" Bosch O2 sensor. It's the same sensor that is in the car, just does not have the connector on the other end that only fits the 986 & 996 causing the doubled price. We use them in the 928 because they are half the price. As long as you solder the connection and use heat-shrink casing it's as good as the original part. Best thing is you don't have to trace down the whole wire and re-route the new connector. I haven't seen where the connectors go in the Boxster, but in the 928 it's about a 2 hour job to run it all the way to the engine.

Half price and half the time is gooooood.

Anybody know which Bosch O2 "generic" sensor would be the correct fitting one for the Boxster?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Great advice.

Anybody know which Bosch O2 "generic" sensor would be the correct fitting one for the Boxster?
There is the universal Bosch sensor at their website. The website also has a part finder.

http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/OxygenSensors/HeatedSensors/

The OEM prices are oxygensensors.com are pretty decent. I believe that they carry a Walker universal oxygen sensor.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #8

Fantastic! Thanks 98!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:06 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Ill have to try that little soldiering dealy

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg