View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 06:49 AM   #4
deliriousga

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheGirl
I stopped on the way home from work at an autoparts store, and they plugged in and told me that it was code P1128.
How many miles do you have on the car?

Did they tell you what the code means? P1128 is " Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Rich Threshold". It's telling you the mixture is going beyond the rich threshold (too much gas in the mix). It can be caused by a few things, but it's usually one of the O2 sensors.

The guy at the auto parts store should be able to clear the code with his reader. If it's an ongoing problem, the light will come back on. If it's intermittent, it will stay off for awhile, but it's usually a sign that a sensor somewhere is going bad.

O2 sensors last about 100K miles so if you have more than that, you should have them all replaced anyway to avoid future headaches.

There are two ways to attack it, easy or cheap (relatively).

Easy: Take it to the mechanic and let him figure it out. Probably about $200-$300 in labor/diagnostics plus parts.

Cheap: Replace it yourself. You have to access the car from underneath to do it. If you want to DIY I can help you out with finding them and you can replace one at a time to see which one is bad.

O2 sensors are about $150-$200 each.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote